Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:45 PM

5 posts, read 13,434 times

Advertisements

Hiya!

I am moving to Pittsburgh at the end of the summer, and I am interested in learning if there is any sort of gothic/alternative scene I can hook up with in the city.

I know that there were some posts about this a few years ago, but I was wondering if anyone has any updated information.

And, I am already connected with the PGH Goth Livejournal blog...

So any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Yes, I do realize "alternative" is misspelt in the title. But I couldn't figure out how to edit it! Oopsie.
Edit: fixed it for you. Yac.

Last edited by Yac; 07-05-2010 at 03:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 08:58 PM

291 posts, read 752,699 times
Are goths still around? That is so nineties!!

Old 07-02-2010, 09:16 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
Our Goth/Industrial scene is slim to none with maybe and exception to random teenagers here and there. I honestly haven't seen a real goth kid (outside of Century 3 Mall at least) in years. There's a little bit more of an "alternative" scene but not much. For example, I was at a great show last night with Neon Trees and Paper Tongues and there were hardly anyone there (tickets were only 10 bucks too!) We don't have alot of hipster bands coming out of Pittsburgh either, it seems to be more of a straight forward rock city.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:25 PM

Thanks, Aqua Teen Carl!

That answer is pretty much the one I expected.

I'm sure I'll manage, anyway. After all, South Carolina (from whence I come) has not a scene, either!

Old 07-02-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
Are goths still around? That is so nineties!!

I really don't care what your opinion is.

But if you are inclined to share it, at least get your facts correct.

Goth is so eighties, not nineties!

Have a great day!

Last edited by xjustcrucifyx; 07-02-2010 at 09:37 PM..

Old 07-02-2010, 09:45 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjustcrucifyx View Post
I really don't care what your opinion is.

But if you are inclined to share it, at least get your facts correct.

Goth is so eighties, not nineties!

Have a great day!
Goth can be a fun genre actually. Type O Negative rules and I enjoy HIM and 69 Eyez (are they considered Goth by the hardcore scene folks? I'm out of the loop). The Cure and The Cult are obviously awesome as well, but who knows if they're Goth these days either. There's also great Goth songs that I like here and there as well (like Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead).

Old 07-02-2010, 10:32 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,160,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Goth can be a fun genre actually. Type O Negative rules and I enjoy HIM and 69 Eyez (are they considered Goth by the hardcore scene folks? I'm out of the loop). The Cure and The Cult are obviously awesome as well, but who knows if they're Goth these days either. There's also great Goth songs that I like here and there as well (like Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead).
I find goth and alternative to be fun. People in Pittsburgh usually could care less what decade something they like or wear is fun. That has it's pros but can be annoying.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:29 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,183,833 times
Check out Elyses's Playground (spelling?). They are gothy and do bondage-y/electronic-y kind of stuff.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:54 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,634,246 times
Quote:
We don't have alot of hipster bands coming out of Pittsburgh either, it seems to be more of a straight forward rock city.
That's because our radio stations suck (except for the college radio stations and WYEP.) Without a proper alternative station, bands will pass us by because thereis no promotion. And that is sad. I like classic rock as much as the next Pittsburgher, but I wish Pittsburgh would embrace new music as well.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:56 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,634,246 times
Quote:
I'm not that big on goth, but I like the Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie, Bauhaus and The Cult (but I don't call them goth really.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh