Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 AM

30 posts, read 143,856 times

Advertisements

I'm new to town. I've just been here a couple of weeks, but will need to leave next month for 5 days / 4 nights and need to find a kennel for my dog. If it were near the airport that would be convenient, but honestly, I'm more concerned with it being a very good facility than it being convenient. I am one of those totally attached dog owners, and I hate leaving her. Can anyone recommend a quality kennel that I can feel good about? The one I used to go to had group playtime during the day and I would prefer that to a place where they're kenneled all day with just a couple of short walks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:22 AM

84 posts, read 284,627 times
The only one I know of is Cozy Inn located in Plum. My MIL left her dog there and loved it. They pamper the dogs!!!

Pet Boarding Pittsburgh, Dog Grooming, Veterinarians - The Cozy Inn Pet Resort and Spa, Pittsburgh

Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
I have told several buddies that they need to open a kennel near the airport. They are very lacking there. The only one that I know of is on route 151 Raccoon Township Beaver County. I don't remember the name.

Let's talk about kennels for a minute. My brother owns a kennel in another state. He has expanded twice, and is no longer taking new clients. He's that full. His customers drive many miles because of his service, and the quality of the kennel. He has no time for anything else, and never gets to attend family functions. The kennel is heated, airconditioned, has inside and outside runs for every dog, and has a Bose Wave Radio playing 24/7 for their listening pleasure. Every dog is walked at least 3 times per day. Sometimes more.

You talked about group playtime. That is crazy and dangerous. You can't devote your full attention to every dog like that. You also don't know what another persons dog is going to do. All it takes is one wrong butt sniffing, and you have a massive dog fight on your hands. I can just imagine having to explain how someone's Poodle killed someone else's Great Dane, by getting stuck in its throat. Group playtime? No way.

This Google search may help coraopolis, pa. dog kennel - Google Search

Old 07-10-2007, 05:22 PM

15 posts, read 91,994 times
Hi -- How about a Pet Sitter? I used one that I got from Angie's List.com a long time ago and everything seemed to go well. Try them. They may also have kennels listed. If you are not familiar with Angie's List consumers rate their experience with service providers. You get a good idea of who sucks and who doesn't. I think there is a small yearly fee though.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:18 PM

522 posts, read 1,793,740 times
I've had good experiences with Camp Bow Wow...

Welcome to Camp Bow Wow! (broken link)

The dogs are out playing (under supervision) ALL DAY. They are grouped by demeanor and size. There are webcams that allow you to check in and see what your dog (and the staff) is doing when you're not there! To boot, it is about 15 minutes from the airport- located right of the Parkway near Greentree.

Captain

Old 07-10-2007, 09:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I used to take my dog to Misty Pines near Sewickleyuntil my dog made it clear that he didn't like it there. The facilities look great and it's so beautiful there in the middle of the woods that you really think your dog is getting good care. Unfortuantely, my dog was always a mess when we picked him up---looked like he'd been through hell and back. And he started being very anxious when we would pull into the parking lot to drop him off.

We switched to Golden Bone in East Liberty. He LOVES Golden Bone. He's been going there for 7 years and is always happy and excited when we pull into the driveway. He practically runs into the lobby wagging his tail. Total difference from the way he behaved when we would take him to Misty Pines. Golden Bone doesn't look like much because it's right smack in the middle of the city, but I assure you that it's a much better kennel than Misty Pines.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:41 AM

77 posts, read 285,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I used to take my dog to Misty Pines near Sewickleyuntil my dog made it clear that he didn't like it there. The facilities look great and it's so beautiful there in the middle of the woods that you really think your dog is getting good care. Unfortuantely, my dog was always a mess when we picked him up---looked like he'd been through hell and back. And he started being very anxious when we would pull into the parking lot to drop him off.

We switched to Golden Bone in East Liberty. He LOVES Golden Bone. He's been going there for 7 years and is always happy and excited when we pull into the driveway. He practically runs into the lobby wagging his tail. Total difference from the way he behaved when we would take him to Misty Pines. Golden Bone doesn't look like much because it's right smack in the middle of the city, but I assure you that it's a much better kennel than Misty Pines.
Can you elaborate a little more on your experiences with Misty Pines? Do you think that the facilities were inadequate? Was your dog being put in a situation that he or she didn't like? We found this kennel/dog park and were really impressed, but haven't boarded our dog there yet. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:21 AM

30 posts, read 143,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Thanks! A recommendation straight from the real customer is very convincing.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:49 PM

114 posts, read 343,613 times
Another vote for the Cozy Inn in Plum. It comes highly recommended to me by the Head of Voices for Animals in Western PA. Check out their website.
Pet Boarding Pittsburgh, Dog Grooming, Veterinarians - The Cozy Inn Pet Resort and Spa, Pittsburgh

Old 07-11-2007, 09:00 PM

75 posts, read 336,081 times
A third vote for The Cozy Inn. In addition to the Plum location, they also have a location in Stahlstown (right off of the Donegal turnpike exit). The Stahlstown location is great is you're traveling the turnpike.....pack the dogs and drop them off on your way!

Our two dogs love the Cozy Inn. We've used them for over four years without issue. They take exceptional care of the dogs, and their amenities are wonderful, including the indoor swimming pool.

They've raised their prices over the years, but for what you get....including the peace of mind knowing that your dog is in good hands....is worth every penny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh