Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:14 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times

Advertisements

Seems to me the Steelers' primary rivalry moved right along with the team, from Cleveland to Baltimore.

It's always kind of tough to move a long-time team, but does anyone remember how Baltimore lost their previous team, the Colts? They packed up and moved in the middle of the night! Now that's truly shameful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 08:00 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,940,745 times
I'm a browns fan and i was 16 in '95. I remember many Steeler fans and Mr. Rooney supporting the city of Cleveland and browns fans back then. I'm so thankful the indians were doing well back then, it helped ease the pain, a little. I hate to admit it, but while our browns were gone i sometimes cheered for Pittsburgh (i live in the ytown area, so many friends and neighbors are steeler fans) because i respect the Rooney's and they're the next closest NFL team to me.

Sadly, 15 years after the Browns left i'm still pissed. I still hate Art Modell with a passion. Things for me will never feel the same to me. Now we are stuck with an expansion team that just can't seem to get it together. Don't get me wrong, i'm still a huge browns fan, but it really sucks cheering for people like Couch, Quinn, Delhomme, etc. The last few years have brought some excitement, but things aren't the same as back when we had our "old" browns.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,054,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I know this is a random question, but I live in the Cleveland vicinity and am a HUGE Browns fan. I was about 9 years old when the Browns were moved in 1995, so I don't remember a whole lot from that time and the whole situation.

I wanted to ask this question for Steeler fans though. Although I know Steeler fans don't like the Browns or anything to do with them, I also know the Steeler following has a lot of respect for their history and such, and the Browns have always been a part of the Steelers history considering the great rivalry it is.

I heard many Steeler fans joined forces with Browns Backers clubs in rallies to try and keep the Browns in Cleveland. I wanted to hear though how some of you Steeler fans felt when the Browns left in 1995, ending a good rivalry...especially then, considering the Browns were just as good as Pittsburgh then and it was more of a competitive rivalry. Maybe some of you cared, maybe some of you were upset, and maybe some of you didn't care one bit, but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any responses in advance!
I was in my mid 20's, doing A LOT of clubbin' in Cleveland (back when the FLATS used to be THE SPOT to go to up there). Anyway, when Cleveland people found out we were from Pittsburgh, they would always start talkin' smack about our BELOVED STILLERS ...but then we would hit them with 'BUT YALL DON'T EVEN HAVE A FOOTBALL TEAM' , and they would be ready to us after we would make fun of them not even having a TEAM.....I mean we would shut them DOWN with that comment alone.....

Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 PM

4,363 posts, read 6,535,732 times
It was seen as a Kick to the Browns fan's groins by Modell. Wrong in every way. That's how I recall it back then, from a Steelers Fans POV.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:28 PM

31 posts, read 96,755 times
I grew up a Colts fan, and even though I was pretty young when they fled (literally) Baltimore, I remember how gutted the city was. And you're correct about moving out in the middle of the night. They brought in a bunch of Mayflower moving trucks that evening and were literally gone the next morning. I think the Irsays are still persona non grata in Baltimore. The ultimate kick in the balls though was not getting to keep the rights to the Colts name/logo.

-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Seems to me the Steelers' primary rivalry moved right along with the team, from Cleveland to Baltimore.

It's always kind of tough to move a long-time team, but does anyone remember how Baltimore lost their previous team, the Colts? They packed up and moved in the middle of the night! Now that's truly shameful.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:52 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,984,892 times
I was 100% behind the Cleveland fans in hating Modell for moving their team. Many of my Steeler fan friends agree and we had a lot of sympathy for the Brown's fans.

It was especially poignant for me since I went to college in Cleveland (B-W) in the 70s and was surrounded by Browns fans, which made life tough for a Pittsburgh kid. The rivalry was HUGE at that time. I also married a girl from Hudson (Browns Country). We even got tickets to the very last REAL Browns -vs- Steelers game at Municipal Stadium. I recall going to the restroom between quarters and there were photos of Modell in the urinals so you could pee on him...LOL!

It wasn't just that he left Cleveland, but the WAY he left which made it even worse. It also makes hating the Raven much more intense than if they were "just" the Raven..

Old 12-01-2010, 03:35 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,803,419 times
I'm sure the Steelers-Browns rivalry will heat back up if the Browns become a good team. Steelers-Ravens though, has truly become something special. The Steelers and Browns were never really good at the same time, the way the Steelers and Ravens are. Ravens week always gets the city into a frenzy.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:28 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,216,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I'm sure the Steelers-Browns rivalry will heat back up if the Browns become a good team. Steelers-Ravens though, has truly become something special. The Steelers and Browns were never really good at the same time, the way the Steelers and Ravens are. Ravens week always gets the city into a frenzy.
This is true.

The Browns were clearly better in the 50s & 60s
The Steelers were clearly better in the 70s
The Browns were clearly better in the 80s
The Steelers were clearly better the 90s & 00s

Despite this they used to go back and forth with each other pretty well, except during 50s when the Browns dominated and 00s when the Steelers did.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:17 AM

12,527 posts, read 17,556,285 times
Get real, the Brown's have never won a Super Bowl. But they were always the best rival to the Steelers until Mr. Modell snuck out of town. No matter how many losses either team had, beating the Steelers/Browns could make your season.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:32 AM

408 posts, read 992,155 times
I'll give the opinion of a Ravens fan, even though you didn't ask..

I was young when the Colts left, but people were extremely bitter about it for many years. The Redskins marketed the area heavily to the disgust of everyone.. Despite proximity, Baltimore has its own culture very different than that of DC.

Some people thought the Browns coming was a bit weird and it wouldn't be the same as when the colts were there or if we had gotten a new expansion, and others were excited just to get a team.. The youngest generation didn't care either way, because they had grown up without football being part of their Sundays.

However, any concern about the Ravens just being the "old browns" faded pretty quickly. Turnover in the NFL is high, and most of the old Browns were gone before anyone knew it. Billick took over, and soon the team was bought by Steve Bisciotti, a Baltimore native, a self-made billionaire who was likeable, already known by many, and a local at heart..

So, had you asked in 97, and maybe even after the superbowl win, you may have had some naysayers in Baltimore, but in what seems like a short time, the team is ours.. We have our stadium, our owner, our coach, our quarterback. After Stover getting shown the door, the only remaining tie to Cleveland is Ozzie Newsome and he has done such wonderful things and become so well endeared locally that this is easily overlooked. The flags are flying and the town is bleeding black and purple..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh