Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,012,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Well, then let's hope they never close. There are other options, such as French bakery on the 4600 block of Butler Street in Lawrenceville. I have been fairly impressed with their breads and sweets.

Also, with all the cupcake talk I have yet to see any love for Vanilla in East Liberty. While I do like Dozens, Vanilla's creamier icing is far more to my liking
Never tried the "French Bakery". You are giving me hope that Pittsburgh actually does have people that know a difference between a McDonalds croissant and a real one. Thanks for the lift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 06:31 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,964,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Never tried the "French Bakery". You are giving me hope that Pittsburgh actually does have people that know a difference between a McDonalds croissant and a real one. Thanks for the lift.
The actual name is La Gourmandine. My bad for just calling it "French Bakery." I need more coffee, and a pear tart.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:52 AM

540 posts, read 869,102 times
Quote:
Well, then let's hope they never close. There are other options, such as French bakery on the 4600 block of Butler Street in Lawrenceville. I have been fairly impressed with their breads and sweets.

Also, with all the cupcake talk I have yet to see any love for Vanilla in East Liberty. While I do like Dozens, Vanilla's creamier icing is far more to my liking
I just posted about Vanilla on another bakery thread. Here is their web page... http://www.vanillapastry.com

Old 12-15-2010, 09:45 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,515,936 times
Oh, more bakeries to try? Quite a treat for me Thanks for sharing the info. For a while it was "The French Tart" downtown and in greentree, but they closed due to divorce. The same went for USA Gourmet on the North Side.

Now I like the cakes and cookies from "The Uncommon market" in mt. lebanon. Their canoli are exquisite. Also the McGinnis in castle Shannon makes good pies. Now and then when I vernture to the Whole Foods I buy their fruit tart. It's quite good.

I'll go out at luch time to buy something from prantl, if you say it's good.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:33 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,906,923 times
Quote:
I like Vanilla's cupcakes well enough (though the frosting is often too wet for my taste), and I love the way both the store and its cupcakes look, but it feels more like a carry-out than Dozen, where you can sit and have a cup of tea and something to eat, read the paper, pull out the laptop. Since moving in May around the corner, basically, from Vanilla, I've gone in exactly zero times.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:34 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,906,923 times
Quote:
The actual name is La Gourmandine. My bad for just calling it "French Bakery." I need more coffee, and a pear tart.
Voici leur website: La Gourmandine Bakery - The Only Traditional French Bakery in Pittsburgh, PA

Old 12-27-2010, 07:48 PM

268 posts, read 385,863 times
La Gourmandine is good, but Jean Marc Chatellier's in Millvale has them beat. Jean Marc is the original and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He's really at his peak and even expanded last year with buying the building next to his.

Someone on here said they don't really enjoy the fancy style of cakes at Jean Marc's but those cakes in some of the windows are wedding cake samples not samples of what is for sale in the bakery on a daily basis...go inside for lovely tarts, cakes, flaky croissants, breton cakes, baguettes, and more...

Like I said, La Gourmandine has some great stuff and is a very nice addition to the Pittsburgh food scene (though it is a bit misleading for them to say they are "The Only Traditional French Bakery in Pittsburgh, PA" since Millvale is literally the width of the Allegheny River from Pittsburgh) but for my money and bouche it is Jean Marc's.

Oh, and someone was saying that Primanti's wasn't Locavore enough for them...I don't know all their details but all of their breads are baked fresh from Cibrone's Bakery in South Pittsburgh - that's a good start!

Old 12-28-2010, 06:16 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,709,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Do you know of a better theater? I've only been to the AMC/Loews Theater at the Waterfront, and so far I really loved my experience there. The Manor Theater along Murray Avenue in Squirrel Hill looked promising.

We always liked the Waterfront too, but go to the new theater in Settlers Ridge once and you'll never want to go back to Loews.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 AM

346 posts, read 537,711 times
The Waterfront is cool, but I really like the theater at the SSW because it's comfortable, reasonably priced, closer to my home and usually much less crowded than the waterfront.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:32 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,043,149 times
We just went to the Cinemark at Settler's Ridge--it was fine but I can't say I noticed any significant differences from the Loew's at the Waterfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh