Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:11 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times

Advertisements

Here's another camp for free and do volunteer work option, that moves around the state giving you options to see more of it: Keystone Trails Association - Trail Care and Trail Crew

Anymore if you make a wrong turn (or even some right ones) around Parker Dam you get Tour de Frack, a cruise on the Boone Mountain road behind Treasure Lake is an eye-opening experience.

The big blowout that diverted airplanes last spring affected some of the water along the Quehanna Trail at least temporarily, for that and other reasons it's good to check with the state forestry office before you go. The QT is really a great trail, even though the elk always seem to be hiding when I go it's on the whole a much nicer experience than PA's section of the Appalachian Trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 03:17 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
It's a 5 hour drive to Toronto from Pittsburgh. Sensational world-class city.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:31 AM

457 posts, read 1,280,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayYoungblood2 View Post
been seeing a LOOOOOOOT of OBX, MB and HH stickers on the back of cars up here. kinda seems like a social status thing when talking to some of the high school students.

from experience and having grown up and lived near ALL of those areas it kind of amuses me.
What is HH? Hilton Head? The Outerbanks and Myrtle Beach are considered the Jersey Shore of the South. Not really something I would brag about.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:49 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
What is HH? Hilton Head?
Yes.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:54 AM

65 posts, read 136,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
What is HH? Hilton Head? The Outerbanks and Myrtle Beach are considered the Jersey Shore of the South. Not really something I would brag about.
Yes Hilton Head.

Hilton Head is pretty nice as is Charleston/Mount Pleasant area as well as Savannah, GA. But I guess living in NC and SC for many years those places (MB,OBX, HH and such) ARE Jersey Shore quality and why it is kind of funny when the students all boast about vacationing there with their families and seeing who can wear the most t-shirts in a row from those areas. Even telling a lot of the parents about where i just moved from they seem to brag about their trips. But I guess I see it as living up this way ANY trip to a beach is worth the stories.

I actually tell them I am excited to have moved up here as it is a well needed change of pace, granted I still have family i can get back to and visit down that way.

But from previous posts Canaan and Timberline are pretty nice get aways. My brother and sister worked at both places for a while on "ski patrol" during their college years.

I was wondering if anyone can give insight on Deep Creek or Seven Springs. I have driven through Deep Creek/Oakland many times for years when i was living in DC to get to my parents but want to take a weekend vacation if you will and not really sure of Deep Creek outside of the drives through and Seven Springs other than commercials and website.

Which is nicer? Family Friendly? etc.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 PM

7 posts, read 9,468 times
Cooks Forest/Warren County is a good option to consider. Many kayaking and hiking options. There are also lots of cabins for rent in Cooks Forest (just go down Route 36 and you'll see what I mean.) I'm biased to say this only because I go there practically every summer.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:29 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
laurel highlands

Old 08-18-2011, 10:42 PM

25 posts, read 39,555 times
I dont get the obx = jersey shore, outer banks has some of the most beautiful beaches on the east coast, big fan of the beaches on the panhandle of Florida also.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:24 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
To this day I have no idea what this city's fascination with the Outer Banks is.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
^It's the same in NE Ohio, everyone has those damn OBX stickers..........i don't get it. My brother lives just south of the outter banks and that area is blah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh