Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 AM

6 posts, read 8,248 times

Advertisements

Currently I reside in Moon, and am considering a new position in Station Square -- working normal 9-to-5 working hours.

How is the commute between those two? How long do you think?

(assume normal 9-to-5 working hours)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 11:24 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,040,077 times
This is an ideal commute. Usually there is very little traffic inbound or outbound from Moon to Station Square. The route you will want to take is Rt 51 / West Carson Street. Go through McKees Rocks. Easy.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,726 times
Usually WPXI does a "drive times" segment for each traffic report in the morning. It seems from the Airport to Downtown, usually ranges as a 30-40 minute drive, assuming nothing major (accident or weather condition) impacts those times. I would say depending on what part of Moon you're coming from, it would be about the same. Also, depending on what part you're coming from, you could take the "back way" through Coraopolis, Kennedy Township, and McKees Rocks, or travel down Route 60 through Crafton and to the West End.

Coming from the city out toward the Airport is about the same...traffic usually crawls up Green Tree Hill and there are some break taps around the I-79 interchange. Things also seem to back up now near the 22/30 interchange, as well, since there is a stop sign off of that exit so it floods into the right lane of the Parkway West (376). After that...smooth sailing.

EDIT: Just saw that alleghenyangel posted the alternative route, as well. If this is near the part of Moon you live, it will be a much easier drive.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:17 AM

6 posts, read 8,248 times
Thanks so much!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
This is an ideal commute. Usually there is very little traffic inbound or outbound from Moon to Station Square. The route you will want to take is Rt 51 / West Carson Street. Go through McKees Rocks. Easy.
Im not sure it is "ideal", but it is ok. I do disagree about taking 51, though. I'd head down Broadhead to Clever, a right down cemetary hill beside Ohio Valley General Hospital, into and out of the Rocks before spitting out onto Carson. 51 through Coraopolis is awful in the morning, and once you get past that you've got McKees Rocks Bridge problems to face. The Parkway through Robinson is worse. I did this commute for years (a bit further on into Oakland), and the back way through Moon, into Robinson, and Kennedy Twp is the best.

Cap

Old 01-28-2011, 06:46 AM

15 posts, read 29,903 times
I'm also going to say it's not bad. I use to live on the North Shore and went to school at Robert Morris, even when 65 is backed up, it never appeared to be bad. I would also agree with the suggestion to take Rt 51 through McKees Rocks, there is never any traffic there. =)

Parkway is a bad. bad. BAD. idea however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh