Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:36 PM

24 posts, read 31,746 times

Advertisements

Our circumstances have changed significantly since last thread I posted. So , I thought it would be best to start a new thread instead of continuing a non-applicable thread.

Background:

Moved from Texas to Somerset, PA. Currently living with my in-laws in Somerset. Work @ Station Square Commerce Court Building. My wife and I have 3 boys (5yo, 3yo, 1yo), and we are approaching our mid-30s.

Where should we be looking to buy a house with a commute to Station Square of around 45 minutes or less in the mornings?

What are the best/safest areas for a young family like mine?

We are looking for the following:
- safe area for young family
- max budget 125K
- Under 45min morning commute - the less the better
- 4 bedroom house with central air
- fenced in level backyard (we have swing set)
- finished basement
- be nice to have a 1-2 car garage, but not a necessity

Thanks for your reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Crafton is an attractive area where you could probably find something within your budget. Same with the adjacent Ingram borough.

In most of the newer subdivision areas, 125k isn't enough for a 4 br home, but the homes in Crafton are a bit older.

Ingram is in the Montour School district, Crafton is part of Carlynton.

A big positive for Crafton is the west busway goes through the community and will take you down to Station Square in a hurry.

Crafton is also close to I-79 and relatively close to the airport if you have to leave town or your job location changes.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:08 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Live along the T.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Do you want city living or suburban living?

Old 04-08-2011, 06:01 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Steeler Fan View Post
Our circumstances have changed significantly since last thread I posted. So , I thought it would be best to start a new thread instead of continuing a non-applicable thread.

Background:

Moved from Texas to Somerset, PA. Currently living with my in-laws in Somerset. Work @ Station Square Commerce Court Building. My wife and I have 3 boys (5yo, 3yo, 1yo), and we are approaching our mid-30s.

Where should we be looking to buy a house with a commute to Station Square of around 45 minutes or less in the mornings?

What are the best/safest areas for a young family like mine?

We are looking for the following:
- safe area for young family
- max budget 125K
- Under 45min morning commute - the less the better
- 4 bedroom house with central air
- fenced in level backyard (we have swing set)
- finished basement
- be nice to have a 1-2 car garage, but not a necessity

Thanks for your reply!
I don't think you will find a 4 bedroom house for 125k. Pittsburgh housing costs are low but not Detroit low.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I don't think you will find a 4 bedroom house for 125k. Pittsburgh housing costs are low but not Detroit low.
I didn't notice the 125k requirement. There are lots of 4 bedroom houses under 125k. Most are older style homes.

There are many nice brick ones with big front porches in Brighton Heights.

There's a 4br ranch on Ponderosa Drive in Shaler for 105k

There's a little two story 4br brick on Duncan in McCandless for 119k.

There's a 4br brick with a front porch in Aspinwall for 100k.

There's a huge 4br farm house in West View for 113k.

That's just a drop in the bucket compared to what's out there on the real estate websites.

Granted, most are in less desirable places, but the ones I listed are all in descent school districts (with the exception of Brighton Heights) considering school district wasn't listed in the OP's criteria.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Actually, there are plenty of homes in this price range. That's not the issue. The concern is what areas are good to buy a home for a young family.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I didn't notice the 125k requirement. There are lots of 4 bedroom houses under 125k. Most are older style homes.

There are many nice brick ones with big front porches in Brighton Heights.

There's a 4br ranch on Ponderosa Drive in Shaler for 105k

There's a little two story 4br brick on Duncan in McCandless for 119k.

There's a 4br brick with a front porch in Aspinwall for 100k.

There's a huge 4br farm house in West View for 113k.

That's just a drop in the bucket compared to what's out there on the real estate websites.

Granted, most are in less desirable places, but the ones I listed are all in descent school districts (with the exception of Brighton Heights) considering school district wasn't listed in the OP's criteria.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that a decent school dristrict is needed as well....

I have no problem finding the homes. I have seen all the ones you mentioned and more. The real issue is I dont know the areas well enough to know where to avoid and what is good for a young family.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Do you want city living or suburban living?
We are leaning more towards suburban. That seems to be more what we are used to compared to Texas.
Thanks!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Crafton is an attractive area where you could probably find something within your budget. Same with the adjacent Ingram borough.

In most of the newer subdivision areas, 125k isn't enough for a 4 br home, but the homes in Crafton are a bit older.

Ingram is in the Montour School district, Crafton is part of Carlynton.

A big positive for Crafton is the west busway goes through the community and will take you down to Station Square in a hurry.

Crafton is also close to I-79 and relatively close to the airport if you have to leave town or your job location changes.
Thanks! Those are some areas I hadn't thought of! So Crafton and Ingram is considered safe and schools not to bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh