Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:18 PM

441 posts, read 766,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by igo View Post
I worked at this exact store (2281) in 2007. I really didn't feel like I or any other employee was treated bad. I mean it isn't the greatest job in the world but it was ok for 6 months.

Wal-mart and McDonald's always get the most backlash because they are so big and an easy target. But really most nationwide chains have similar practices.
I never understood why Wal-Mart gets all the blame when Target, Kmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Best Buy, and all of the other big box chain stores import most of their products from China. Boycotting Wal-Mart to buy the same exact Made-in-China product at Target isn't doing a damn thing to change the system.

People who go out of their way to tell you they don't shop at Wal-Mart are like the people who go out of their way to point out that they don't own a TV: they only say this to make themselves feel and sound superior to everyone who doesn't live exactly as they do.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,009,423 times
I think the issue many have with Walmart is more that since they are the largest and know they are the largest, they have the power to pressure suppliers to provide products to them at a lower price point. Or they won't carry said products. Walmart actively encourages suppliers to relocate to cheaper countries so that they can increase their profit margins (or else). Target, K-Mart, Home Depot, as individual retailers,.. they don't have that kind of power.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:40 PM

441 posts, read 766,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Target, K-Mart, Home Depot, as individual retailers,.. they don't have that kind of power.
They might not have the same power, but they are more than happy to ride Wal-Mart's coattails and import the same cheap, low quality Chinese products as soon as they become available. Those companies are just as guilty of perpetuating the trade imbalance and race-to-the-bottom as Wal-Mart.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:50 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
I pretty much will shop anywhere, but I read labels. When I saw Chinese apple juice, I got pretty upset. I mean the US has enough apples to supply the US with ease. We certainly don't need to import that and all the way from China. That is kind of gross IMHO.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,009,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
They might not have the same power, but they are more than happy to ride Wal-Mart's coattails and import the same cheap, low quality Chinese products as soon as they become available. Those companies are just as guilty of perpetuating the trade imbalance and race-to-the-bottom as Wal-Mart.
I wouldn't say that they are just as guilty. People who start a horrible trend are worse than those that take advantage of it. However, anyone who is angry about the loss of American manufacturing jobs and who boycotts Walmart because of it... should also boycott all of the above chains as well.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:12 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
It's not the Chinese sourcing that keeps me from Walmart. Chinese sourcing of every damn thing does vaguely bother me, but it hasn't stopped me from having a cell phone, computer and various other things that seem not to be made anywhere else anymore. Hell, even most clothes now, even from a higher-end name like LL Bean, let alone cheap crap at Kohls, seems to be made in China. And if not China, somewhere else over that way with cheap labor. Sourcing in China is fueled by our neverending need to have it cheaper and cheaper often without regard to quality. Worst offender is probably not even Walmart IMO but Dollar Tree and the like. That's the worst disposable crap ever. At least Walmart is capable of selling stuff that's above that level.

I try to pay more attention to local with food. And amazingly enough, so is Walmart trying to latch onto that now. Good for them, if they don't wreck it for everyone.

I still can't stand the Walmart stores though. Just the feeling of the store is awful. I don't get that from Target (one key to Target's difference despite being the same exact type of store is the lighting color, take notice sometime, plus the lack of overhead music, so quiet in there) and some of the other box stores. Walmart pressures it's suppliers to make it cheaper, which in turn lowers the quality and also means the offshoring of the manufacturing generally. A store like Lowe's does operate the same way though. I haven't stopped shopping there, but if I considered everything, maybe I should. When you think about it though, if anything it's probably harder for most people to avoid a store like Home Depot or Lowe's than it is for them to avoid Walmart. Other choices in hardware and lumber are much fewer and farther between than other choices for what you can get in Walmart.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:40 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,674,237 times
Many of the California garlic growers are out of business because of the chinese garlic. The Gilroy Garlic Festival still takes place but it is hard to find CA garlic in the stores here. FYI - check the roots of garlic before you buy it as the imported crap required to have the roots clipped off. I would rather shop at the thrift stores for used USA products than buy from china. Have you ever watched to see who the typical Walmart customer is?

Old 01-29-2011, 08:48 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,954,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I generally can't bring myself to go into Walmart either. I set foot in one a couple years ago, after going a few years without, and even leaving aside any other policies of the company I'm always reminded of why I don't go in there as soon as I walk in. I haven't found myself lacking for anything, so I think I will continue to not go there.
Aren't we lucky to be able to afford to shop elsewhere?! Sucks for all those poor people who need to shop at Walmart!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:49 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,954,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Many of the California garlic growers are out of business because of the chinese garlic. The Gilroy Garlic Festival still takes place but it is hard to find CA garlic in the stores here. FYI - check the roots of garlic before you buy it as the imported crap required to have the roots clipped off. I would rather shop at the thrift stores for used USA products than buy from china. Have you ever watched to see who the typical Walmart customer is?
Exactly! Their customers are a bunch of very poor people who need to shop there to feed and clothe their families! yuck. So glad that we can afford the mall and not be forced to shop at Walmart like all those poor people!!!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:22 PM
igo

39 posts, read 134,847 times
As for the low income people with no other option...

I am one of the cheapest people around but, I generally don't shop at walmart.

Food - I would rather shop at Aldi's (generally lower prices then wal-mart)
Clothes - I would rather shop at Gabriel's. The clearance rack has way better prices then wal-mart.
Electronics - Wal-mart's price on electronics is nothing special. Ebay will have lower prices if you are willing to wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh