Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:15 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,338 times

Advertisements

As we all know from another thread that was closed recently, many don't like to shop Wal Marts.
I have to admit, I do shop there pretty much for everything, and yes, I am certainly not poor, being I have a few Benzes. I agree some of the clientele is not the greatest, but I like the fact most are open 24 hours 7 days a week. Total convenience anytime!
They carry the name brand items and foods. I don't buy the off brand junk that many talk of.
As far as electronics, I use Ebay and Best Buy, and for clothes it is Macys and Larrimors.

I noticed some shop at Aldi and Gabes. Aldi pretty much carries all off brands and Gabes has a lot of damaged merchandise. The enclosed malls have turned into dinosaurs, so basically, where do people shop nowdays?

It can include department stores, big box discounters, electronic stores, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:52 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
and yes, I am certainly not poor, being I have a few Benzes.
For you, I would suggest Dicks.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
I dunno if I can post to that without veering off topic for the local forum, but let's see.

I branch out in shopping, sometimes, but here's where I could say I spend the most:

Target
Amazon.com
Giant Eagle

Other places that get not insignificant food spending:
Trader Joe's
McGinnis Sisters
Soergel's
T-Bone's

I have a Costco membership. I end up getting a few clothing items there sometimes, sometimes food (though I'm not sure it's significant, or hasn't been recently), sometimes other stuff. I save enough on one once-a-year item to cover at least half the membership, and it's just 5 miles away so makes it worth it even though our household is just two people. If I didn't live this close, though, it wouldn't be such a slam dunk probably, or I might skip a year or whatever. Some years I buy tires which saves more than enough to justify the membership.

I don't find brand name to be all that in food especially, so Trader Joe's works for me. Aldi might work too if convenient, but it's not really convenient for this spot and where I drive most often. Trader Joe's is out of the way but has some stuff that's unusual and draws me back at least every couple months to get some things. Really, if we're focused a lot on food brands often it means we're buying too much of the wrong packaged processed stuff in the middle of the store. Cranberry Giant Eagle is from what I can tell independently owned and has a few more items that they don't carry in some other locations. I want to like Kuhn's but just can't. There will be a new Shop n Save opening soon that will be convenient (will become the closest supermarket to the house by about a mile over the Giant Eagle) and though smaller it may serve the purpose well enough for many things. Looking forward to that. Soergel's and T-Bone's off the Wexford exit sometimes make for useful stops close to the drive home as well as specific items esp Soergel's during growing season. Been trying to seek out more locally sourced food and McGinnis has been good for that sometimes. They have local chicken, for example.

About 15 years ago I pretty much swore off buying clothes (apart from things like socks or underwear) in a store after not finding things I liked, and bought almost everything from LL Bean. I've gradually relaxed that in recent years but still buy a fair bit from them. In fact I don't think I've bought any clothes that weren't from there or Costco or REI in the last couple years, or very occasionally an item from Target, but the majority of spending is to Bean's. I sometimes visit the store at Ross Park, but I avoid the mall in general. Have to say, I have visited the mall more times in the last year or so since that has been there. Used to go a whole year or more without setting foot in an indoor mall.

Zappos.com is really good for shoes. Since they pay the shipping both ways if you don't like them it's easy to return. Excellent service. I don't find shoes I like in stores, generally, or if I do they don't carry the wide width even when it comes in wide.

I spend a reasonable amount of time and $$ in both Lowe's and Home Depot. Lowe's seems to be a better store generally, but sometimes what I need is better served by HD. And sometimes it's better served by Ambridge Home Center, and I try to go there occasionally, but it's not as convenient.

I've been shopping at Amazon since back when all they sold was books. I use it a lot for work and we have the Prime membership so I get to use that for myself as well. Everything comes in 2 days. Generally makes electronics stores irrelevant because often enough the store doesn't have what I want anyway, or it costs a lot more there. Also good for kitchen items. Good for a lot of stuff. I check there for all kinds of things, and read the reviews even when I don't buy there.

And, I dunno, that's probably enough for now.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:20 PM

441 posts, read 766,450 times
I never understood the hate for Aldi. Since Aldi and Trader Joe's are affiliated, their food comes from the exact same production plants and have the same production, health, and safety standards. If you're going to whine about off label products, you're going to have to include Trader Joe's store brand products in with that criticism.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:25 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,020 times
For me--Target is my #1 choice. If I actually plan on going to a mall, I go to Ross Park Mall for whatever you can think of. Wal-Mart is my #2 choice--it's convenient, typically has what I need and I find the price to be right, but I would take a Target store any day over a Wal-Mart.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
I never understood the hate for Aldi. Since Aldi and Trader Joe's are affiliated, their food comes from the exact same production plants and have the same production, health, and safety standards. If you're going to whine about off label products, you're going to have to include Trader Joe's store brand products in with that criticism.
No one expressed a love for TJ's and dislike for Aldi, so while I agree with some of the sentiment of your post it doesn't seem to be necessary here. Benz said he doesn't like non-brands, period and mentioned nothing of TJ's. I said I don't think brand is all that for food, but Aldi is not convenient for me to shop at. If there were an Aldi in a spot where I already go all the time I might shop there, but it isn't worth a special trip to me. Certain TJ's items, though, are.

Trader Joe's and Aldi are not affiliated in the US. The German ownership is rather hands-off as far as Trader Joe's management. There was an article last year that shed the most light that is possible on the company, which is not much. The short version is there is some common ownership, but even then it's sketchy because there was a split decades ago and the branch of the family that owns Aldi in the US is NOT the same branch that owns Trader Joe's. The article was clear TJ's makes all its own food procurement decisions, etc.

At any rate, the items are not the same in the two stores in this country anyway, save for perhaps simple staple things. They do, on the other hand, take the Trader Joe's brand into some non-US Aldi stores.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
For you, I would suggest Dicks.
Nah, I hate all types of sports.

But I know what you meant by that.
The only reason I made that remark is some folks in the other thread felt only the poor shop at Wal Mart, which isn't true. I have seen plenty of bankers, doctors, lawyers, and other professionals shopping there

I might be a jerk, but I don't rub my wealth in others faces. Thank you!

Last edited by Benzman66; 01-30-2011 at 09:25 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 PM

Never been to Trader Joes. Heard a lot about them and Whole Foods too, i'm just never in that area to stop in. As greg said, I just don't get into off brands. I never believed that there was a big difference until my mom one day did the "taste test". She made a chicken casserole with Campbells soup and one with a generic brand soup. Quite the difference, and that was just one example.

Target is a nice store, but it seems every time I ever went to one for something, they didn't carry it.

I too frequent Giant Eagle, Shop/Save, and Foodland when they have their 2 and 3 day sales. Some really great deals!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:39 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
Pants n' nat. I like their kwallwittee.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:44 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Giant Eagle.

We buy lots of stuff online.

Toys R Us.

Kmart.

Target.

CVS.

Burlington Coat Factory.

Lowes and Home Depot.

McBroom's.

Little's Shoes.

Petco.

Various state stores--we've sorta settled on the one in the Oxford Centre.

Random antique stores.

A variety of places when on trips.

I think that covers most of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh