Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:41 PM

141 posts, read 339,754 times

Advertisements

I just read on the Wilkinsburg Council minutes that applications for demolition of the Penn Lincoln Hotel on Penn Avenue are being made...

I wonder if the building is far too gone for renovation. Has anyone ever been inside of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 04:19 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Last I knew the PHLF was studying possible reuses, and I would be disappointed if it was going to be torn down. Sometimes there is a "demolition" phase in major remodels--so that is what I am hoping, perhaps in vain, is going on.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:57 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
I ate there a couple of times so I only saw the restaurant before it was shut down by IRS or the health dept.?, you could look in the window and see plates of food still on the tables. It was kind of old fashioned but didn't look as old as it was. The hotel part looked old in a cute way. I wish it could have been saved.

This Trib article from a year ago said it has seriously decayed and has been vacant since 1995:

The Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation said it will conduct a series of studies on the Penn Lincoln Hotel on Penn Avenue to assess the building's structural character and how it might be redeveloped.
Old Wilkinsburg hotel could get new life as office, retail space - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 02-27-2011, 11:02 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
This is a shame. If only all of the money the PHLF was pumping into those houses could have went towards the renovations and stabilization of the hotel, which is a centerpiece of Wilkinsburg, really...

Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 4,198 times
EXACTLY, ALLEGHENY ANGEL! Does anyone know WHY PHLF is pumping ridiculous amounts of money into those houses? Because of some...study? I went to one of their focus groups telling them how ridiculous it was, but never heard back. I don't care how nice a house is, people don't want to live in it if it's in the ghetto...what the ghetto NEEDS is jobs, resources, businesses for people that already DO live here. And before anyone goes around throwing that much money into something, they need to take into consideration the needs of the community, by ASKING the REAL community that already lives there.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Yes, the PHLF and CMU did a bunch of studies in conjunction with the Hamnett Place projects. The upshot is that trying to expand already established residential areas (in this case, trying to expand Regent Square and Whitney Park, as well as Edgewood, into Hamnett Place) with targeted investments has worked in other cases. The benefits, if successful, would include things like increasing the tax base in Wilkinsburg, which would allow lowering tax rates in general, which could attract more development investment elsewhere.

None of this is mutually exclusive with redeveloping the commercial area, and in fact lots of the money in question is coming from programs that wouldn't be available for commercial areas, whereas conversely there are funds available for the commercial area that aren't available for residential areas, some of which Wilkinsburg has started to access. So I really don't see the point in setting these efforts against each other: it makes sense for Wilkinsburg to be working in both of these areas at the same time.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
I agree with you, Brian. I think it is a great idea to work on redeveloping the Hamnett Place neighborhood. However, I feel that the hotel should have been made a priority. Improving the Wilkinsburg core is very important to the future of the neighborhood. Fortunately, the business district is still very intact; however, if the hotel is lost, that is a missing link.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 02-28-2011 at 11:19 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 11:53 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
"what the ghetto NEEDS is jobs, resources, businesses for people that already DO live here"

So in other words, pork and welfare. Can't imagine why no one has ever tried that before - sounds like a sure-fire solution to me.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Within the business district, the hotel was in fact a priority for the PHLF--the studies they were doing were supposed to cost something like $75,000, and they had gotten the County to help fund them. Assuming these references mean demolishing the whole building (I still hope not), there may have been a falling out between the actual owner of the building and the PHLF.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:28 PM

747 posts, read 1,232,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennHillsNative80 View Post
I just read on the Wilkinsburg Council minutes that applications for demolition of the Penn Lincoln Hotel on Penn Avenue are being made...

I wonder if the building is far too gone for renovation. Has anyone ever been inside of it?
I worked for United Publishers in the 90's and the main office was located in what was the Ball Room. It was a very handsome building with lots of period features. My brother rented a one bedroom apartment in the building also and it was pretty cool with amazing architectual details as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: