Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

Some interesting stuff:

CMU airs 10-year master plan

The major theme is they are reorienting to recognize Forbes as running through their campus, as opposed to forming its northern border (something that has already happened, but would be embraced more specifically). I think most of what they are talking about would be good for the City as a whole, and I suspect we are looking at more jobs, residents, and so on. I also like taking some lanes from Forbes to create bike lanes. That said, it always makes me nervous to have a single entity with that much of a say over so much area. Anyway, here is a map:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
I saw they wanted to make two of the four lanes on Forbes bike lanes. I don't think the city will let CMU make two bike lanes on Forbes and will probably want 3 lanes for cars on such a busy street.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,353 times
I think CMU would be a 'good shepherd' of the land around it's campus. They want to attract the best and brightest young scientists and academics so they have a vested interest in a lively and functional neighborhood.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:22 PM

875 posts, read 1,490,206 times
As CMU is my alma mater, I'm a bit biased, but I have to say I like how this plan turned out. It doesn't seem extreme or over-reaching; it's a mostly practical way of reorganizing the land that CMU already owns. I've said that the vast Morewood parking lot has been a waste of space for years.

The two most controversial (and I don't think to much of a degree) points on the plan are the hotel adjacent to the museum on Forbes and the plan to shrink Forbes down to two lanes. New hotels always seem to generate a lot of chatter, but I definitely approve of the latter. Forbes is predominantly over-built on that stretch, and since it basically funnels into one lane in Oakland and Squirrel Hill anyway, I don't see much qualms about it. It would be a big victory for the biking community, but I would also want to make sure it would fit in with the larger bike infrastructure that Bike Pittsburgh and city planning have in mind.

Pretty solid if you ask me.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I saw they wanted to make two of the four lanes on Forbes bike lanes. I don't think the city will let CMU make two bike lanes on Forbes and will probably want 3 lanes for cars on such a busy street.
It is ultimately a state issue (this is a state road), but recently the City and the County have both been pretty supportive of efforts like these (in fact, see the traffic-calming bump-outs further up Forbes toward Squirrel Hill, and similar modifications in downtown Oakland). In a case like this, you don't actually get a big vehicle throughput advantage from having extra lanes, and the bike lanes would be a nice feature.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
I think CMU would be a 'good shepherd' of the land around it's campus. They want to attract the best and brightest young scientists and academics so they have a vested interest in a lively and functional neighborhood.
Universities have a mixed history on these issues. The possible negative aspects could include creating a cloistered, self-contained, inward-looking, outward-exclusionary zone, and also anti-preservationist tendencies (because they put a high premium on specifically locating new developments within their designated campus outline).

On the plus side, they can bring money and political connections to the table, and as you note they do tend to take a long-term view on development issues. It is just that their interests may not always be perfectly aligned with what a city as a whole would want to achieve in its core areas.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
The two most controversial (and I don't think to much of a degree) points on the plan are the hotel adjacent to the museum on Forbes and the plan to shrink Forbes down to two lanes.
Those two things I like, although I do think it is a little creepy they ran off another hotel development so they could do their own instead.

As I just suggested, I'm more concerned with whether it starts to feel like this area is setting itself apart from the rest of the City, a feel the CMU campus south of Forbes already has. It doesn't have to be that way--in fact much of Pitt's campus in downtown Oakland provides an example of how it doesn't have to be that way. But I do think this is an issue worth keeping an eye on.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:34 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times
Quote:
I think the bike lane portion of this plan may be more of a non-issue than it appears at first blush. That section of Forbes has only 1 travel lane in each direction for much of the area around the campus.

Headed from downtown going east, the block between Craig Street and the bridge right before has meters on both sides of the street, with cars often parked requiring a merge into 1 lane after the Craig street light. It's 2 lanes through campus but then back to 1 lane up the hill to Squirrel Hill after Margaret Morrison.

It seems to me that CMU just wants it all to remain one lane (maybe with a turning lane) throughout. No doubt it would provide for a safer automobile-pedestrian interaction as well, always a pain when I was a student. More to this point,, the proposed pedestrian bridge would be a great idea.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:54 AM

106 posts, read 212,096 times
You'd want to carefully consider bus stops on any proposed two or three lane section. I know there are some pull-offs but not sure if they are at every stop. With an average daily traffic volume of 14,000, a two lane section with signals might be at capacity along Forbes Avenue. That said I am all for more bike lanes when they are designed and located correctly.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:52 AM

264 posts, read 492,606 times
Quote:
This shouldn't be an issue. Forbes loses a lot of its traffic at Bigelow, Bellefield, Craig, and Morewood, and is down to one lane in each direction by the time you reach the end of CMU's campus anyways.

Hopefully they leave some room for left turn lanes and bus pull-offs though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh