Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 27,364 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a home in Pittsburgh and would like to create some much-needed off-street parking. I have space for 3 cars, and will require minimal digging to level out the space. The entrance will be only a few feet from a minor intersection.

From what I have read so far, I dont' need a permit for a driveway "not more than 30" above adjacent grade." However, I do need to have a piece of sidewalk removed and a ramped pad installed.

Can anyone tell me how I can do this? Do I need a permit. Do most people just call someone and have it done??

I'd like to have this finished within a few weeks.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto123 View Post
Can anyone tell me how I can do this? Do I need a permit. Do most people just call someone and have it done??
Most people just call a contractor and have it done. If permits are needed, the contractor will know.

You are aware that you own and are responsible for the maintenance/repairs of the the sidewalk, right?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 PM

Here are the permit fees. Look like you will need one for the sidewalk.

Land Records/Permits

I'd just hire a contractor and let the contractor handle everything.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:44 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,977,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Most people just call a contractor and have it done. If permits are needed, the contractor will know.

You are aware that you own and are responsible for the maintenance/repairs of the the sidewalk, right?
You own the sidewalks? I know that you're responsible for maintenance (shoveling snow, putting down salt, etc.), but I wasn't aware that it's actually considered part of the property.

I guess that would explain why some neighborhoods have terrible sidewalks. I know some other city's do not do it this way.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:12 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
Unless you're wanting to do it yourself, you just pick out a licensed contractor and they should handle the permits.

If you want to do it yourself, well, you're going to have to figure out the curb cutting thing with the permit, presumably, and any other regulations about it.

I don't know but it's possible they'll reject this idea because of the proximity to the intersection. Be prepared, not sure if there's a rule about this. And if there is, there could be a procedure for trying to get a variance.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
You own the sidewalks? I know that you're responsible for maintenance (shoveling snow, putting down salt, etc.), but I wasn't aware that it's actually considered part of the property.

I guess that would explain why some neighborhoods have terrible sidewalks. I know some other city's do not do it this way.
It's a bit more complicated than that. The city initially installed the sidewalk. The homeowner is fully responsible for the upkeep which includes maintaining and repairing the concrete, not simply clearing the sidewalk of snow and ice. If someone were injured by a pothole in the sidewalk, the homeowner would be primarily liable for the injury. If the city repairs a sidewalk due to the homeowner's lack of maintenance, the homeowner can be charged by the city and a lien can be put on the property if the repair isn't paid. In other words, maintenance is much more than clearning snow and ice. Maintenance is keeping sidewalks in good repair. So basically the city gave you this sidewalk and it's your responsibility. The city is only liable from the standpoint of not enforcing the laws.

This might help clarify: http://www.societyhillcivic.org/news...lquestions.pdf

Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
If you want to be a self contractor, you need to get a permit. Call the city and get one. Don't expect it to be super easy. If you don't want to deal with it, call some reputable companies and get some bids.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:43 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,888 times
I'll chime in also on the side of getting a contractor. If you want to do some of the "easier" work yourself, you can find contractors that will work with you on that.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:26 AM

357 posts, read 888,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's a bit more complicated than that. The city initially installed the sidewalk. The homeowner is fully responsible for the upkeep which includes maintaining and repairing the concrete, not simply clearing the sidewalk of snow and ice.
Also, if you have the kind of sidewalk that has a narrow strip of grass between it and the street with trees planted in it, then be aware that the city owns those trees. But if the city's tree roots damage your sidewalk (e.g. lift it up), the city expects you to arrange to fix it, even if their tree is the root cause (ha) of the problem. It is a three step fix: you get your concrete guy to remove the old sidewalk, then you call the city to come trim the tree roots, and finally you call the concrete guy to come back and pour a new sidewalk.

You have to do all the scheduling work (i.e. choosing a concrete guy, telling the city when to come trim the roots)... the city doesn't help with that. If you get a permit, then the city will reimburse you a token amount (it might cover 1/3 of the cost).

Old 03-23-2012, 12:49 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,944 times
You absolutely need a permit to install a driveway in the City of Pittsburgh. You will need zoning clearance, and permission from Public Works for the new curb-cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: