Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 01:08 PM

19 posts, read 39,557 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all

I'm still considering moving up to Pittsburgh. I have read threads lately that have me wondering about street gangs. Some have mentioned gangs joining forces against others. I read about gang ethnicities such as Italians, gangs of white kids in Mt. Washington, which is a place I'm considering. I'm sure their are black gangs as well, but I haven't read on the board yet what role they play. Is there a racial/ethic gang issue in Pittsburgh? and if so, which neighborhoods is this present, And which ones a gay black male should avoid.

We have gangs here in Charlotte with Black and Hispanic gangs, but they are more interested in committing crimes against each, instead of against other people. But they are small time, confined to a small geographic area of East Charlotte. Our gang task force keep them pretty much in check, so they are not of to much concern; you don't think about them much, unless you live in those areas of course...

As always, you guys (and gals) have been of great assistance in my research; I appreciate you opinions and personal insights so much. Any other information you wish to share beyond my questions please do, and please be frank and honest, discussion about my race and sexuality doesn't bother me.

Last edited by carolinafella; 04-12-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 01:32 PM

654 posts, read 944,669 times
I've never heard of gangs of Italians wreaking havoc on innocent people in Pittsburgh. You must be thinking of the mafia in northern NJ, or NYC.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:36 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,062 times
Pitt = University of Pittsburgh. It's not an abbreviation for Pittsburgh. (No worries, it's a common mistake).

Uptown Kid is the resident expert on gang activity in Pittsburgh, but basically it's limited to inter-tribal feuding in the roughest neighborhoods. And a lot of the black neighborhoods that have bad reputations (the Hill, Homewood, Wilkinsburg) have sub-sections that are perfectly safe with a vibrant streak of community activism. But again, Uptown Kid and wpipkins would be the best advisors on the quality of life in the black majority neighborhoods.

As far as tensions in lower income, mixed-ethnic neighborhoods, the only communities that I can think of that may be problematic are Hazelwood and parts of Carrick and the Southern Hilltop. The only neighborhood with a significant Hispanic population is Beechview, and while it's not the safest neighborhood in town, there's no real gang issues there (and the crime that gets committed in Beechview tends to come from junked-out low income whites, not the Mexican immigrants).

You shouldn't have any issues in Mt. Washington, as long as you stay away from some of the seedier streets that were documented in a recent thread about that neighborhood. For what it's worth, the one and only time I ended up at a party in that end of town was at the apartment of a black drag queen. So I can say with at least some certainty that you wouldn't be the first gay black man in Mt. Washington (unless I just dreamed that whole night.... 'tis hard to tell sometimes).

Old 04-12-2014, 01:42 PM

419 posts, read 551,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinafella View Post
Any other information you wish to share beyond my questions please do, and please be frank and honest, discussion about my race and sexuality doesn't bother me.
I'm not an expert on gangs here, but I do know quite a bit about race relations. Pittsburgh is a very segregated city and race relations are pretty abysmal. The suburbs skew the metro region as being one of the "whitest" regions in the U.S. You won't find many affluent, black professionals here. Homophobia is a problem among lower income blacks, more so than whites. However, this is not a very tolerant region in general. You will find pockets of diversity and open-mindedness in Pittsburgh's East End neighborhoods (Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, etc.) though. Pittsburgh has a dearth of diversity, despite doing fairly well economically compared to its Rust Belt peers. Have you looked at other cities?

Pittsburgh Is Most Livable City…But for Whom? » Sociological Images

African Americans in Pittsburgh: The newcomer experience | Regional Indicators | BUSINESS

How do we make Pittsburgh a more welcoming community?

Old 04-12-2014, 02:00 PM

19 posts, read 39,557 times
I have looked at other cities but I've chosen Pittsburgh. So, lets say I wanted to move into a mostly white, ethnic (pick one because I don't know) how much of a problem would I have? Is there current racial violence between blacks moving into all ethnic neighborhoods?

Also, I am not singling out any one ethnic group here with the gang question, so I want to make it clear I'm not trying to offend anyone. I just want to know what, if anything to expect, such as turf "wars" between ethnic groups/races so I will know which neighborhoods to avoid. That's all I'm doing.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:01 PM

Here's the truth:

(1) Pittsburgh is actually very diverse, particularly for a mid-sized city that's part of the former Rust Belt. Some of the people who post here claim Pittsburgh isn't diverse, but that's because they have the strangest definition of diversity (i.e., they believe that a city must be 50% African American, 50% Caucasian if it's to be considered diverse). Diversity is about many things, including, but not limited to, race and ethnicity.

(2) There's very little homophobia here. Well, perhaps if you're hanging out with poor, uneducated, ignorant people who are deeply religious in a fundamentalist way, maybe then you'll experience some homophobia. Otherwise, it's not very likely.

(3) Race relations are actually pretty good. Sure, you'll find your racists, both black and white, but they're usually impoverished, uneducated people who live in the worst areas. You'll probably never even interact with them. Most communities are racially diverse, and the vast majority of people, regardless of race, get along very well with one another.

(4) And no, there is no racial violence toward African Americans here; we're not Mississippi. This is the Northeast, and people here have a "live and let live" attitude here.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:08 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Um View Post
(4) And no, there is no racial violence toward African Americans here; we're not Mississippi. This is the Northeast, and people here have a "live and let live" attitude here.
Every northern city has had it's problems with racism and segregation. Pretending it's only a southern problem is arrogant and ahistorical.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Every northern city has had it's problems with racism and segregation. Pretending it's only a southern problem is arrogant and ahistorical.
Yes, of course we have had our problems with racism and segregation in the North; however, we've moved past those problems, and we should be proud of that. Instead of incessantly bringing up the conflicts of the past, let's be proud of the fact that we've moved forward, that we've become a colorblind society.

And, by the way, there never was any racial violence toward African Americans here. In the South, black lynching was common in the early 20th century. That wasn't so in the North.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:23 PM

419 posts, read 551,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinafella View Post
I have looked at other cities but I've chosen Pittsburgh. So, lets say I wanted to move into a mostly white, ethnic (pick one because I don't know) how much of a problem would I have? Is there current racial violence between blacks moving into all ethnic neighborhoods?
Mostly White? They will be friendly or at worst, indifferent to you. Closet racism is more common. Just don't expect to be part of their "in-crowd." I do not want to sugar coat this. Prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised if they include you in their social circle. This isn't the backwoods of Mississippi, but you don't want to feel like an outcast either. You will find that Pittsburgh has a very cliquey feel to it. Most of these majority White neighborhoods are filled with people who have never lived anywhere else.

Mostly Black? You will pretty much be an outcast there as well, even labeled an "Uncle Tom."

Choose one that is not mostly anything. They tend to be your best bet -- Squirrel Hill, Shadyside.

People on here also seem to think this city has a wall surrounded by it where it keeps in diversity/open-mindedness and keeps out racist hicks/rednecks. Give me a break. This majority White region bleeds into the city.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:29 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,279 times
Especially if you're in a younger, more diverse neighborhood, and/or hanging around any moderately educated folks, I don't see why you should have more problems than any other new person moving to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh