Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:53 AM

92 posts, read 92,629 times

Advertisements

As some of you know I am trying to locate a place for Jan 1 via long distance from Boston. I had an earlier scouting trip that turned out to be disastorous due to a poorly prepared realtor and my misplaced trust in her.

I have now contacted a person that has a place I think I like and am considering going out on a limb to make work even though I have never actually seen it in person, by that I mean paying extra fees for December when I won't even be there.

This property is located on Fiat Street in Brookline. It appears to have everything I'm looking for and be a short commute to Mellon downtown? Is this a good neighborhood?

I've been living in highrises for 20 years and have no idea what these utilities have the potential to add up to - any input on the area and these utilities costs would be MUCH APPRECIATED.

It's a smaller 2 bed ranch, it has central air, gas heat, and the utilities I would have to pay for include water, electric, gas, cable, trash/sewage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 10:01 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,072,915 times
Quote:
I had an earlier scouting trip that turned out to be disastorous due to a poorly prepared realtor and my misplaced trust in her.
That's a shame, an experience like that can actually ruin your outlook on a city, even though it's obviously not the cities fault.
Quote:
This property is located on Fiat Street in Brookline.
I think you will be close to the T in Pittsburgh which can take you to and from work everyday if you didn't want to drive. Other than that, I'm not to familiar with the area.

I know most of those areas that the T runs through are quite old and might not be the best looking neighborhoods.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
It's a smaller 2 bed ranch, it has central air, gas heat, and the utilities I would have to pay for include water, electric, gas, cable, trash/sewage.
Ken, I live in a similar-sized house in nearby Beechview. Monthly, my electric bill is about $45 (on budget plan), gas is $125 (on budget plan), water's about $20, sewer's about $7. Cable, depending on what you get, can be anywhere from $30 to over $100.

Guylocke's right--there are a lot of Park n' Ride lots for the T in the area, though it doesn't run directly through Brookline, I don't think. It's mostly through Beechview, Dormont, Mt. Lebanon.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Ken, I live in a similar-sized house in nearby Beechview. Monthly, my electric bill is about $45 (on budget plan), gas is $125 (on budget plan), water's about $20, sewer's about $7. Cable, depending on what you get, can be anywhere from $30 to over $100.
Doesn't get much more helpful than that!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Doesn't get much more helpful than that!
wow, I agree! thanks fleetiebelle, so we are talking approx $200 and then above that I was hoping to get a comcast package for cable/internet/phone (as I have here in Boston) for whatever package prices are there.

I have never used public transportation and while I may become accustomed to it once there I was thinking to drive in and park at the Mellon Arena for 5.75 a day then shuttle over to the building for free. Any idea what that commute would be? I have to be in the office by 9:30, would leaving the house at 9 seem reasonable?

The other place I'm considering is all the way down 51 in Jefferson Hills and that commute, T or car, is a bit scary.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I was hoping to get a comcast package for cable/internet/phone (as I have here in Boston) for whatever package prices are there.
Comcast has a monopoly on Pennsylvania and many other parts of the country (it actually originates from here, go figure) so prices tend to be high.

They are always offering some great deal for new customers, though.

My deals are pretty much over (except I keep calling them back and telling them the service will be too expensive once my deal is over and I'll have to cancel it in which they always offer me another deal, albeit not quite as good as the original)

Right now I have digital cable (without the glitzy HBO and Showtime etc, but I get a couple hundred channels) and high-speed cable internet from them for roughly $110 a month. I have two TVs in the house that use the digital reciever, etc, that also makes a difference.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:24 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
I paid bills just yesterday, so it was all fresh in my head.

One thing about the commute downtown, is that it will be slow, even if you aren't working spot-on normal business hours. The distance isn't long, but you'll probably be heading down West Liberty or 51, which really back up in all directions from the point where 51, West Liberty, and the Liberty Tunnels come together. Until I started taking a shortcut over Mt. Washington, it wasn't unusual to sit for at least 30 minutes just to get into the tunnels.

If I worked downtown, I would really take the T as much as possible. From the stop near my house in Beechview it takes no more than 15-20 minutes, and you get to read or stare out the window, unlike when you're driving. You might want to check to see if your employer subsidizes bus/T passes. You'd be living between the Beechview and the Overbrook lines, so it might turn out to be really convenient.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:28 AM

237 posts, read 860,374 times
Even though I do not live in that area (I'm in the east end & rely soley on buses), I have to say I am a big proponent of public transportation.

I was raised on a farm and everyone had to drive. And even after I moved to the city, I kept my car for a long time.

However, even when I had my car and started working on the North Shore, I found it better to take transit. It really didn't take me long to get used to transit at all.

And financially it made more sense for me and it might for you too.

For example: (you would either be in zone 1 or 2, paying one, not both, of these)
monthly pass (Zone 1): $60
monthly pass (Zone 2): $75
parking, at $5.75 a day, for 23 days (the number of weekdays this month):$132.25

(Also, many of the large employers offer a plan where your pass comes out of your paycheck, pre-tax, which results in a savings of over $200 a year.)

Plus, you have to look at how often the shuttles run in from the arena - that could extend your commute time, even if your drive is quick.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Right now I have digital cable (without the glitzy HBO and Showtime etc) and high-speed cable internet from them for roughly $110 a month. I have two TVs in the house that use the digital reciever, etc, that also makes a difference.
Hmm, was hoping it might be cheaper there

I have cable, no movie channels, but I get things like cooking and discovery, etc. I have high speed internet and I have digital phone which includes all LD and I pay $185 a month - specials hace been over for some time.

Sounds like it will be about the same there.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I have cable, no movie channels, but I get things like cooking and discovery, etc. I have high speed internet and I have digital phone which includes all LD and I pay $185 a month - specials hace been over for some time.

Sounds like it will be about the same there.
Actually, should be a bit less.

I have just about what you do, except no digital phone. However, I believe digital phone alone with comcast is 50 bucks, and if you get there package, all 3 together (net, cable, phone) they discount it all.

Might be about 150 bucks a month or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh