Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 04:59 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times

Advertisements

Rather than create separate threads, here are a few different stories.

First, parts of Penn Circle which are being converted back to two-way streets are set to open:

Part of Penn Circle to open to two-way traffic

This is a subtle but crucial part of restoring East Liberty to a successful commercial center.

Next, with help from some state money, the airport is expanding the nearby business parks:

Expansion planned at airport-area business park

The airport is a very bittersweet topic: it was overbuilt which resulted in a legacy of debt, but it is also functioning well in terms of supporting travel and business in the region.

Here is a long article about the Squirrel Hill business district:

Squirrel Hill businesses still changing

Pamela's is moving and expanding into the Panera space and adding a Peruvian restaurant, and the Barnes & Noble space is going to be subdivided. Generally, there is some back-and-forth over the changing nature of the business district (something tells me you could have written that article at any point in its history--retail is an ever-changing environment).

In tangential news, State Senator Jim Ferlo is trying to close the loopholes that have allowed very large real estate transactions in Pittsburgh to escape the transfer taxes:

Ferlo targets state loophole on deed tax

Philly did this for itself (with no apparent harm caused to their development scene), and the money in question is likely to be substantial.

Finally, the Garden Theater block project is moving along:

Blighted North Side area set for renovation

This is one of my favorite projects in Pittsburgh right now, and while they are still securing funding and negotiating with prospective tenants, they apparently have enough money to get started this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 06:46 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,816 times
Glad to see something moving into the vacancies in Squirrel Hill. Has there been any word on development at Murray/Forward? I know the mixed-use plans were nixed a while back but haven't heard anything since. I have a real concern about what these empty buildings mean for the lower half of Murray Ave.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 AM

441 posts, read 766,566 times
Thanks for the updates!

Old 05-12-2011, 06:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Your development updates are some of my favorite threads on city-data. It's always interesting, especially as you read a forum for awhile and start getting a feel for the growth. Is there one central source where you learn about these things? I'd love to post threads like this down in the Nova forum but I don't know where to find out about these things.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Is there one central source where you learn about these things? I'd love to post threads like this down in the Nova forum but I don't know where to find out about these things.
Not really one source, but some of my regular sources are the Post Gazette, Pop City, and the Pittsburgh Business Times. There are also blogs like Nullspace and Burgh Diaspora. I also check in with the Skyscraper Pittsburgh Rundown thread.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:40 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
So glad Sq Hill Pamela's is moving to a larger space...Me and my GF's go to that Pamela's for Sunday Brunch and let me tell ya lines are insane and they've truely outgrown that cramped space.

I'm so excited for the possibilites and momentum behind East Liberty and the North Side you can see it all coming together give your a sense such of pride....

Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 AM

I'm also pleased to see Pamela's expanding in that location (the nearest to us).

One idle thought--there was a discussion recently about how all the action seems to be in the East End, but I really think that is not true when you consider the North Side. There is just a ton of stuff going on there, which is great.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:33 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
So glad Sq Hill Pamela's is moving to a larger space...Me and my GF's go to that Pamela's for Sunday Brunch and let me tell ya lines are insane and they've truely outgrown that cramped space.
I sincerely hope they're jettisoning the disco theme, though.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
One idle thought--there was a discussion recently about how all the action seems to be in the East End, but I really think that is not true when you consider the North Side. There is just a ton of stuff going on there, which is great.
I agree. Time for me to put on my Northside booster hat. Within easy walking distance of my home we have development going on in:

The garden theater block:
Garden Theater Block |

Phase II of the Federal Hill townhomes is under construction:
S&A Homes – Pittsburgh, PA – New Home Community – Federal Hill

Renewal of Allegheny Commons Park, spearheaded by:
Allegheny Commons

The Columbus Square development in Manchester:
Columbus Square

And a variety of smaller projects, mostly infill housing and small commercial (federal street, Western Ave, etc.) spaces that have been lead by the Manchester Citizens corporation, Central Northside Neighborhood Council, Mexican War Streets Society, East Allegheny Community Council and the Allegheny West Civic Council to name just a few.

I really do think it's a great time to live on the Northside. Just last night ate dinner at the local pub, walked over to Stage AE for a concert.

In fact received the following today about all the events in my neighborhood for this upcoming weekend:

Holy Trinity Spring Greek Festival
corner of W. North Ave at Sherman Ave
Wednesday May 11 thru Sunday May 15
Wed-Sat 11am-9pm Sunday 11am-8pm
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church - Pittsburgh, PA - Greek Festival

Mattress Factory exhibition opening of Neighbo(u)rhood
Just flash your ID with the 15212 zip code on it at the admissions desk and come on in for FREE (admission to openings is usually $10)
Friday, May 13, from 6-9pm
500 Sampsonia Way
The Mattress Factory Art Museum

Citiparks Farmers' Market
corner of W. North Ave at Cedar Ave
FRIDAY, MAY 13 FROM 3:30 TO 7:30 PM
Farmers' Market

Mexican War Streets Neighborhood-Wide Yard & Art Sale!
Saturday, May 14, 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Household goods from over 40 homes!
http://www.mexicanwarstreets.org/Yar...Map%202011.pdf
http://www.mexicanwarstreets.org

City of Pittsburgh Marathon
Sunday, May 15th
Runners for the Marathon and the Half Marathon will start at 7 AM
Runners for the Relay will start at 7 AM
Walkers for the Marathon and the Half Marathon will start at 6 AM
http://www.pittsburghmarathon.com
Finish Line Festival

Sundae Market
Flea Market, Crafters and Starving Artists
corner of W. North Ave at Cedar Ave
Sunday, May 15th (June 19th, July 24th and August 21st)
9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
http://www.sundaemarket.com

Come check us out.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I hope this means they'll stay open later, too. I would have eaten at Pamela's much more often when I lived in Squirrel Hill if they'd been open for dinner. Also, could they please use real maple syrup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I sincerely hope they're jettisoning the disco theme, though.
I don't mind the disco theme so much as the fact that they play two different music systems simultaneously, one for the dining room and one for the kitchen, and if you're sitting in the middle, you're stuck listening to both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh