Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 04:15 PM

119 posts, read 233,191 times

Advertisements

I understand a lot of college students live in South Oakland but from what I've read online it seems they don't live below the Blvd of the Allies. Is this correct? If so, why? I'd like to hear from people who are actually familiar with this area (bet. Blvd of the Allies and Frazier Street). I'm interested in the properties at Oakland Court and Dawson Court and would like a general idea of the neighborhood before I visit. Would I be safe walking home from campus at night? Also, is it possible to walk to the Southside from that part of South Oakland? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 04:31 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times
There are students below the Blvd.

Pitt has shuttles that circulate that area.....pretty late at night too. Your safety would depend on your lifestyle too. If you plan on closing the bars and walking around there at 2:30 am, then you may get mugged.

As a Pitt student, you can ride the PAT buses free (to the Southside or wherever). But, the walk isn't that far although you'd have to cross over a couple huge highways. I especially wouldn't want to walk that late at night.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:49 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Actually, the biggest collection of students is between Forbes Ave. and Blvd of the Allies which would be above the Blvd.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 PM

47 posts, read 86,673 times
I live in that 'sector' of Oakland...about 200 up Parkview from Frazier Park. The area is shadier-seeming, but there are a lot of students living there too. Being a girl I make it a point not to walk alone, but then again I rarely walk--I ride my bike a LOT after midnight and never see anything suspicious going on.

If you take Frazier all the way to its end near Bates, walk down a bunch of steps, turn left on Bates. Cross Second, take the Hot Metal Bridge sidewalk to the South Side. Very easy, takes you right under the Parkway.

There are a couple Pitt shuttles that run all throughout this area, but not during the summer. There is a PAT bus, the 84B 'Oakland Loop' that runs year-round and is just what it sounds like. Every half hour, looping up to Forbes.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Actually, the biggest collection of students is between Forbes Ave. and Blvd of the Allies which would be above the Blvd.
Yes, I understand. I'm asking about the section below the Blvd, not above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgavala View Post
I live in that 'sector' of Oakland...about 200 up Parkview from Frazier Park. The area is shadier-seeming, but there are a lot of students living there too. Being a girl I make it a point not to walk alone, but then again I rarely walk--I ride my bike a LOT after midnight and never see anything suspicious going on.

If you take Frazier all the way to its end near Bates, walk down a bunch of steps, turn left on Bates. Cross Second, take the Hot Metal Bridge sidewalk to the South Side. Very easy, takes you right under the Parkway.

There are a couple Pitt shuttles that run all throughout this area, but not during the summer. There is a PAT bus, the 84B 'Oakland Loop' that runs year-round and is just what it sounds like. Every half hour, looping up to Forbes.
That's wonderful, so even though the area looks shady it's OK. I never hear people talk much about it. I just want to make sure I'm living around other young students too. Would a car be safe around there on the street? And by taking the Hot Metal Bridge sidewalk I can actually walk across the bridge over into South Side? How long is the walk? Thanks so much for your help.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainrunner View Post
That's wonderful, so even though the area looks shady it's OK. I never hear people talk much about it. I just want to make sure I'm living around other young students too. Would a car be safe around there on the street? And by taking the Hot Metal Bridge sidewalk I can actually walk across the bridge over into South Side? How long is the walk? Thanks so much for your help.
My street is probably half students, half families and/or nice older couples. Same goes for a lot of the area, it seems.

I live on a dead end street so my car is pretty safe, but I wouldn't hesitate to park it on Parkview (it's actually there now, haha). You don't really see as many smashed mirrors as other places in Oakland.

As for the walk, yes. There is a shared sidewalk (ped/bike) that takes you right over. I've never walked over, but by bike it's less than five minutes. Walking you could do it in ten, I'd bet, since you can get down the steps pretty quickly.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:21 AM

296 posts, read 561,032 times
The walk from Oakland to the Southside Works via Hot Metal is very easy and very quick. Definitely one of the bonuses of living in Oakland.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:48 PM

Another benefit of this part of Oakland--you have Schenley Park right across the bridge. A short, parkway-free drive to the Waterfront through Greenfield, and super easy access to 279 and 376.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:26 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
That's a nice shortcut for sure. However, climbing these steps after a night of South Side revelry may not be the easiest task. This picture shows only a portion of them. loc:http://maps.google.com/?q=loc:+84th+...=fr-2346256379

http://maps.google.com/?q=loc:+84th+...,0.004812&z=18

Old 06-20-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post
The walk from Oakland to the Southside Works via Hot Metal is very easy and very quick. Definitely one of the bonuses of living in Oakland.
Excellent, I love walking. Not so much over a long bridge but I can learn to love it. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgavala View Post
Another benefit of this part of Oakland--you have Schenley Park right across the bridge. A short, parkway-free drive to the Waterfront through Greenfield, and super easy access to 279 and 376.
Good. However, I've heard there is gang activity and drugs around the area near Frazier Park. Is any of that true? So far, the area sounds pretty safe from what you guys are telling me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh