Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,819 times

Advertisements

I am a young, married professional that just got a job in the Pittsburgh area (Bridgeville). I am moving from Orlando, FL and was born and raised in St. Louis, MO. I hear excellent things about the city area (Shadyside, Oakland, Squirrel Hill) and was wondering what traffic would be like if I decided to commute to work in Bridgeville everyday. Is traffic bad heading southwest during rush hour in the morning and heading back towards the city in the evening?

Also I have 2 dogs (a 30 lb Shiba Inu and a 50 lb lab mix) and was wondering if anybody had any ideas about places to rent that allow larger dogs. I see a lot for small dogs, but very few that advertise for dogs of all sizes.

I really appreciate all the responses. I have never been to Pittsburgh, but have been looking at all of the pictures and following the threads and it seems like an excellent city, from the pictures, and layout, etc. it seems to remind me a lot of St. Louis.

Also are there any other areas that you would recommend that may be an easier commute, but give that downtown/city living feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 07:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times
I wouldn't want to drive Bridgeville to the East End every day during rush hour.

You're asking for a headache with the parkway, Oakland traffic and the tunnels.

Better off with looking at walkable towns like Mt. Lebanon- a short ride down Bower Hill Rd- or Sewickley-a longer trip but an easy one down I-79 where you should be able to maintain the speed limit for the trip.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I wouldn't want to drive Bridgeville to the East End every day during rush hour.

You're asking for a headache with the parkway, Oakland traffic and the tunnels.

Better off with looking at walkable towns like Mt. Lebanon- a short ride down Bower Hill Rd- or Sewickley-a longer trip but an easy one down I-79 where you should be able to maintain the speed limit for the trip.
thanks a lot. I have heard conflicting things about traffic, that is why I was asking for clarification. I will stick to the Mt. Lebo area.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Mt. Lebo, Sewickley, Dormont and South Side might be worth a look. South Side is the most city style living out of what I listed.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,873,372 times
Why not... live in Bridgeville? It's a nice area.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,978 times
If you truly want "city living," you will be miserable in Bridgeville.

I don't fully understand why rush hour would be bad for the OP -- isn't this "reverse commuting," i.e., leaving the city during the day and coming back at night? I don't drive here, so I might be missing something.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:10 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times
Its really not a pure reverse commute- because you would still be going with the main flow of traffic between town and Oakland or Shady.

In addition, Greentree Hill still backs up in the reverse direction in the p.m.

It IS a reverse commute from Mt. Lebo however as you are going opposite than the predominate flow of traffic.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
Yeah, living out in Bridgeville won't be the same as city living for sure, but it would at least have the benefit of short commute, leaving you more time to get into the city after hours if you wanted. Living in the city and getting to Bridgeville really isn't a quite reverse commute, as mentioned. That stretch has traffic both ways at both rush hours.

Main thing is I think you're going to have to be flexible in looking for places anyway because it will be a little tricky with the larger dog, few and far between based on some other posters' experiences. Don't know for sure but it may be more likely to find a place willing to let you have the dogs somewhere like Bridgeville vs in the city.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,576,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
just got a job in Bridgeville...I hear excellent things about the city area (Shadyside, Oakland, Squirrel Hill
Hang on a mo - you're talking about living in the East End and commuting TO Bridgeville, right?

I think all the comments I've read so far have assumed the opposite, but if I read you right, you won't have a problem - you'll be traveling in empty lanes while everyone is going to opposite direction. Bridgeville is kind of a hike from the East End, but as long as you don't mind buying the gas, the time shouldn't be a problem.

p.s. All the comments except the last two, that is. And I'd concur with their info - some traffic getting out of the East End as far as the crossings of the Mon River, and you could avoid that and have a hip environment living in the South Side.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:25 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,576,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Why not... live in Bridgeville? It's a nice area.
Certainly a nice area. Especially if you're an antique or else collect them. And if you're a collector of antiques, let me recommend the Linden Grove in that vicinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh