Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh scored yet another plug in the Wall Street Journal today. For those reading via google, the title is "Housing Bust? What Housing Bust?"

Pittsburgh's Housing Market Thrives - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:56 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
They may need to change their name to The Grant Street Journal. Great chart, by the way:

Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 AM

809 posts, read 2,410,353 times
I take umbrage at the calling of the southside slopes full of "worn and sad looking houses"

Old 06-20-2011, 09:34 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
I take umbrage at the calling of the southside slopes full of "worn and sad looking houses"
We need to educate the WSJ with respect to Rust Belt Chic.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:28 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
They may need to change their name to The Grant Street Journal. Great chart, by the way:
That's funny. I remember on the old PittsburghLive board there was a poster "Vegas" who made it his mission in life to bash Pittsburgh by comparing it to Las Vegas. And he was merciless. He pointed out Las Vegas' higher pay, employment, and soaring home values. He was constantly bragging on Las Vegas' success and that the main difference was that Las Vegas had what Pittsburgh didn't...."Leadership!". I have to admit that he was tough to pin down. I mean he even argued that Las Vegas' water situation was no worse than Pittsburgh's. So I guess it took Las Vegas itself to turn all his braggadocio to rubble.

Guess the tortoise passed the hare in this race.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:13 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
That's funny. I remember on the old PittsburghLive board there was a poster "Vegas" who made it his mission in life to bash Pittsburgh by comparing it to Las Vegas. And he was merciless. He pointed out Las Vegas' higher pay, employment, and soaring home values. He was constantly bragging on Las Vegas' success and that the main difference was that Las Vegas had what Pittsburgh didn't...."Leadership!". I have to admit that he was tough to pin down. I mean he even argued that Las Vegas' water situation was no worse than Pittsburgh's. So I guess it took Las Vegas itself to turn all his braggadocio to rubble.

I remember Vegas too. He was lame, and XPgher was worse, but worst of all was VoodooLounger. What a giant ****ing ***hole that guy was.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:

Wow I wonder how "Vegas" feels about Vegas now? This recession may have been one of the best things ever for Pittsburgh with perceptions and what the dumb idiots here and in the country think of the area.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Wow I wonder how "Vegas" feels about Vegas now? This recession may have been one of the best things ever for Pittsburgh with perceptions and what the dumb idiots here and in the country think of the area.
"Vegas" used to live in Pittsburgh but like a lot of people he went elsewhere...in his case Las Vegas. Guess he had to with the collapse of the steel industry and the subsequent economic ripple effect. Pittsburgh was dealt a body blow with a slow gradual recovery while Las Vegas was riding high and "Vegas" was lording it over everyone with every post. He didn't see that the housing bubble was about to pop. Las Vegas is about as fake as they come. It was truly a mirage in the desert.

Wow, is this ever rich with metaphors.

Most of his preaching was for Pittsburgh to stop doing all the "stupid things it was doing". Such as allowing US Airways to create a fortress hub at Pittsburgh International and driving up air fares. At that time, US Airways was the biggest employer and even if a competitor tried to enter the market, US Airways would meet their price and drive them out of the market. Legally Pittsburgh couldn't do much and US Airways was an important employer so why antagonize them?

He also went after Pittsburgh's steel industry for not adapting and how Pittsburgh failed to diversify its economy. But he ignored the fact that Pittsburgh did what it did best, and Pittsburgh did recognize and did try to diversify. Saving steel wasn't possible and remaking a steel town into something entirely different is a long and difficult process. I don't even know how one can compare Las Vegas and Pittsburgh as one has an entertainment economy based on vice whereas the other is manufacturing with a workforce with no better than a high school education.

Anyway, "Vegas" was much on how great Las Vegas was and how Pittsburgh trailed. He was in his words, "Pittsburgh's Coach", . But a "coach" who was mostly high on put-downs and devoid of constructive ideas. Imagine a coach lauding another player and constantly pointing out your shortcomings.

I suspect he enjoyed tearing down anything suggestive of a positive about Pittsburgh with a dose of his cold "reality". He eventually vanished from the PittsburghLive board before it shutdown. But if he were here, he'd probably try to spin this as a positive for Las Vegas and that Pittsburgh didn't lose as much because it didn't have much to lose in the first place.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 06-20-2011 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 03:41 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
I suspect he enjoyed tearing down anything suggestive of a positive about Pittsburgh with a dose of his cold "reality". He eventually vanished from the PittsburghLive board before it shutdown. But if he were here, he'd probably try to spin this as a positive for Las Vegas and that Pittsburgh didn't lose as much because it didn't have much to lose in the first place.
This. All the morons who moved south said this for a decade and then the bubble crashed and now all of those places are doing worse than they ever have and the report that Brain showed on another page doesn't have Vegas recovering until 2020 and will still have double digit unemployment beyond 2013. So much for a boom town. The thing that I hate the most about the idiot yinzers who have moved out is they still are the same annoying Steelers fans and are too ignorant to see the other great things about this region.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:56 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
This. All the morons who moved south said this for a decade and then the bubble crashed and now all of those places are doing worse than they ever have and the report that Brain showed on another page doesn't have Vegas recovering until 2020 and will still have double digit unemployment beyond 2013. So much for a boom town. The thing that I hate the most about the idiot yinzers who have moved out is they still are the same annoying Steelers fans and are too ignorant to see the other great things about this region.
Yeah, I hate it when people love the Steelers but hate Pittsburgh. If I hated a place, then I'd renounce everything about it once I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh