Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 01:23 PM

32,603 posts, read 77,247,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
I like taking Saltsburg Rd. through Penn Hills all the way to Saltsburg and on to Indiana via 286.
Just took 380 to 286 out to Saltsburg. What a cute little village! We walked the demanding Dachshund around the river trail a bit. The water looks so clean in the Kiskiminetas River. We then drove up to Apollo, North Apollo, Vandergrift, and Leechburg following the river up to where we caught Route 28 near Freeport back to Pittsburgh.

Nice drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 12:02 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,678,595 times
I am loving this thread.........so many great suggestions!

Old 08-06-2016, 02:27 PM

Just took Saxonburg Boulevard all the way up to Saxonburg from Shaler Township and then worked our way over to Route 356 down to Route 28 in Sarver and back to Pittsburgh. Lovely drive!

Any other suggestions?

Old 08-07-2016, 06:41 PM

140 posts, read 164,882 times
Though it's relatively short, my favorite drive is 837 between the mckeesport bridge & the houseboat..
I always get mesmerized by the water on the Mon & love the view of mckeesport from across the river. It is also a fun road to drive on (one of the few roads in the region with a "correct" speed limit)

Also, always get inspired to buy a houseboat & live free on the river

If it's too short of a "scenic drive", continue on coal valley road to old clarion road.. lots of fun twists & turns in a relatively scenic half wooded/half suburban setting.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:29 AM

18 posts, read 13,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Just took Saxonburg Boulevard all the way up to Saxonburg from Shaler Township and then worked our way over to Route 356 down to Route 28 in Sarver and back to Pittsburgh. Lovely drive!

Any other suggestions?
This is more of a day trip.

28N all the way past I80 to 36 to 899 near Cook Forest. Look for River Rd. It runs along the Clarion river.
This is a pic I took of the road 2 years ago:

Fantastic in the fall.

Stop in Clarion, and take 68 back. You'll go through East Brady. Before East Brady, stop at the Brady's Bend overlook. Amazing view of the bend in the Allegheny river up there. 68 takes you all the way to Butler.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:22 PM

Took a gorgeous drive today! We took I-376 West out of the city to Route 30 West. We continued on Route 30 west and took a soft left onto Clinton-Frankfort Road just past Janoski's Greenhouse & Farms. We followed that road to a stop sign and took a right onto Route 18 in the village of Frankfort Springs. In about 1/4-mile we took a soft left onto Route 168. We followed Route 168 past Route 30, through Hookstown, and then took a left over the Shippingport Bridge. We were amazed by how close we were to the cooling towers of the nuclear plant there!

We took a right at the end of the bridge onto Route 68 and followed that through Industry, Vanport, and finally into Beaver, where we stopped for coffee. From Beaver we took Route 51 South all the way through Coraopolis, McKees Rocks, and eventually into the city again.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:09 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,435,340 times
Did you get a cold sweat when you left the City?

Old 09-30-2016, 09:32 AM

310 posts, read 368,322 times
im so thankful for this thread. my boyfriend and I live in the city (southside) and sometimes we are bored and want to head out for a drive. I' m really looking forward to trying some of these out. if you can think of anymore please add to thread!

my sister in law lives out Burgettstown. sometimes we take 79 and Rt 50 to get there (whenever there is a concert or to change things up a bit) .

Ive never drove through Saxonburg or Leechburg so those two may be our first few trips.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Did you get a cold sweat when you left the City?
I did, but I won't tell you what part of my body broke into a cold sweat.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:12 PM

814 posts, read 1,142,947 times
Also might be more of a full-day trip but haven't seen it mentioned in this thread that there's tons of stuff in Western Maryland worth checking out and some fantastic driving between here and there. One sample itinerary:

Turnpike to Somerset, get off and follow U.S. 219 to Berlin; from there take PA 160 to the state line (my favorite stretch of road on the planet, you just have to do it). MD 36 into Cumberland and poke around there for a bit, it's an interesting small old industrial city at the nexus of ~330 miles of bike trail with some lovely architecture and an excursion train if you have the time & money, or you can rent bikes and follow the Great Allegheny Passage or C&O Canal Trail for a bit.

Follow the Old National Road back out (U.S. Alt 40), paralleling the Interstate through Frostburg (neat little college town with a cool Main Street on a hill), all the way to just outside Grantsville, MD, where there's a mock-colonial artisan village and the Casselman Bridge dating from ~1813. The Old National Road rejoins regular U.S. 40 which you can take to PA 381 and on to Ohiopyle for dinner and/or a nice hike. From there back to the Turnpike at Donegal (or stay on PA 31 westbound to U.S. 119 to stave off the Turnpike for a bit longer, this features an amazing view at the top of Chestnut Ridge from where you can see the tallest buildings in Downtown Pittsburgh in clear weather).

Google Maps

Oh and BTW SCR I've essentially been a D.C. weekend commuter for the past three and a half years and the U.S. 50/Winchester/Berkeley Springs escape route from the DMV has proven to be a real sanity saver. I-270/I-70 between Frederick and Hagerstown are abhorrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh