Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:42 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
...it's no surprise to me that suburbanites would rather prance around in their SUVs and frolic at Applebee's than to come visit our city and patronize our businesses.
Your broad stereotypes and intolerance for people who don't subscribe to the same beliefs as you is maddening.

I live in the suburbs, but I don't drive an SUV, and I don't eat at Applebee's. You, however, live in the city, drive a delivery vehicle all day long, and frolic at every fast food restaurant under the sun. What makes you so much better than me and my suburban counterparts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 11:01 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Quote:
Bottom line, on a meter lined street if you think you found a spot that isn't and park there, you're probably wrong and can expect a ticket.
Ok. That's a valid point.

The fact remains that, if the basis for the law against parking within a certain distance from a crosswalk is a concern for pedestrian safety, the city is acting contrary to that concern by placing a meter within said distance, whether at this, or any other location. This story calls into question whether the city acts first in the interest of public safety, or first in the interest of "revenue enhancement".

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times
Totally OT but,
Why can't they update the parking meters with the new enforcement hours? It has been awhile since they passed this. Was at Ruth's Chris last night for a business meal and one of my co-workers didn't know about the free parking garage and decided to park at a meter on 3rd Ave. I recalled these threads and told him to check with the wait staff. Yep, they are still ticketing cars there after 6pm even though all the meters still show enforcement only until 6pm (or at least the meter my co-worker parked at). Luckily, he was able to move his car into the free garage before he got a ticket.

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Totally OT but,
Why can't they update the parking meters with the new enforcement hours? It has been awhile since they passed this. Was at Ruth's Chris last night for a business meal and one of my co-workers didn't know about the free parking garage and decided to park at a meter on 3rd Ave. I recalled these threads and told him to check with the wait staff. Yep, they are still ticketing cars there after 6pm even though all the meters still show enforcement only until 6pm (or at least the meter my co-worker parked at). Luckily, he was able to move his car into the free garage before he got a ticket.
There's a free garage? Do tell.

My coworkers and I usually go to happy hour the Friday after the last day of the month, and the parking situation is messing up our plans. We had standby places that we'd go where now no one wants to have to pay for a meter after 6.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:14 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
The fact remains that, if the basis for the law against parking within a certain distance from a crosswalk is a concern for pedestrian safety, the city is acting contrary to that concern by placing a meter within said distance, whether at this, or any other location. This story calls into question whether the city acts first in the interest of public safety, or first in the interest of "revenue enhancement".

I think you're jumping to a conclusion that is unsupported by any of the facts. We don't know what process the city went through to evaluate whether a meter should be placed at that particular spot. I would suggest there are a host of decisions made by the City that have to balance competing interests and we don't know these particular calculations.

Looking at the intersection again, my guess is that there's not a meter there and it's not a valid spot based more on turning considerations for trucks from 13th onto Penn westbound. It is the Strip afterall, and that would be yet another consideration.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There's a free garage? Do tell.

My coworkers and I usually go to happy hour the Friday after the last day of the month, and the parking situation is messing up our plans. We had standby places that we'd go where now no one wants to have to pay for a meter after 6.
Free to Ruth's Chris patrons, they validate. One thing I found strange, they ask for your driver's license and swipe it before you can enter. Big Brother keeping eye on PPG place, I assume. Stupid.....

Old 06-30-2011, 11:30 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Totally OT but,
Yeah, it doesn't seem like too much to ask that they change the signs.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:33 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
They changed the signs in Oakland near CMU and Schenley park within days of the switch, though I suspect that a lot of students will come back in the fall expecting free parking for their evening classes and be getting a lot of tickets.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:01 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
We had standby places that we'd go where now no one wants to have to pay for a meter after 6.
I have wondered if the net effect of the extended enforcement hours ends up being negative for the Parking Authority and Downtown businesses. Will there be an actual reduction in parking meter revenue from the Downtown meters as some people will no longer park on street or even stop going on happy hours and after-work dinners? What will the monthly restaurant receipts will look like for July, especially for the mid-range places on Penn and in Market Square that do not validate parking?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I have wondered if the net effect of the extended enforcement hours ends up being negative for the Parking Authority and Downtown businesses. Will there be an actual reduction in parking meter revenue from the Downtown meters as some people will no longer park on street or even stop going on happy hours and after-work dinners? What will the monthly restaurant receipts will look like for July, especially for the mid-range places on Penn and in Market Square that do not validate parking?
Good questions all, but we'll probably need more of a sample than just a month or two. As I've said before I'd be surprised if there's any substantial effect but we'll see. I'm open to the facts disproving my hypothesis.

The real question for me is that, if there is no noticeable effect, will all of those decrying the rate increases and extension of enforcement hours admit their criticisms and concerns were misplaced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh