Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosekatherine View Post
Sure you all would call me over protective and nuts, but get the feeling if you have kids you raised them in a different generation.
Different generation? That's hillarious! Most of us in this thread are still raising our children.

I highly recommend reading the article I posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 05:55 PM

14 posts, read 57,854 times
love that some of you are still "raising your children"....too bad you don't consider that today we all know (or should know) better than our parents did when we were growing up. any place that says than any parent can not drop in sounds strange to me and I am not going to apologize for that.the point of the original question was because someone felt uncomfortable with the "no parents allowed policy" and I don't blame her at all. I can let my kids go, but only to a point, I am not a "drop off mom" and neither am I an "over protective mom". where do pediphiles work...oh yeah with kids....you know coaches, preists, teachers, ect. have you ever seen the "To Catch A Predator" series? Teachers, Rabbi, Coach....getting my point. as far as gymnastics, my daughter was 5 years old, the teacher was rude and ignorant when the parents where there and I could only imagine what she would be like when they were not there and I don't want my daughter told she was "too big" for gymnastics which happens often. I would be fine if she were a teenager who should know what is and is not right but younger children should be protected and if you don't see that and have kids under 13/14, shame on you for being naive.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:13 PM

206 posts, read 688,557 times
Nope, I gotta agree -- I would not be comfortable with a program where I was banned from most of the building. My 4 yr old goes to classes that I leave her in by herself, but I always go with her the first day, check out the equipment, meet the teachers, make sure my child understands where the bathrooms are, who to ask for things, etc. I don't think parents should hang around the classroom while class is going on, but they should be able to pick up kids from classrooms and be familiar with the environment and teachers.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:15 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_torquemada View Post
. My 4 yr old goes to classes that I leave her in by herself, but I always go with her the first day, check out the equipment, meet the teachers, make sure my child understands where the bathrooms are, who to ask for things, etc.
Well, yeah. I did that, too... and then I let my kid be.
I did not hover day after day....

Old 09-03-2007, 08:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
I'm glad this thread has taken this turn-around. In my state, it is illegal for a child care center to refuse parents admission. I was ready to turn in one of the ski areas due to such a policy. I'm not so sure about "clubs" where classes are held, but I too disagree with stringent policies of this nature.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:09 PM

176 posts, read 767,175 times
Heinz House doesn't state, you cant be in the building.(They do adult classes and a brand new exercise facility for parents)..Nor do they state, you cant meet the instructors.. Where did you get that information from...

Take your kids in the building say hello to the instructors...THEN GO ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS...These are highly trained professionals your leaving your children with....100 YEARS of solid reputation...

They just dont want you hanging around the classes...HELICOPTER PARENTS ARE SO FUNNY TO ME.....

Old 09-04-2007, 05:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO Z View Post
Heinz House doesn't state, you cant be in the building.(They do adult classes and a brand new exercise facility for parents)..Nor do they state, you cant meet the instructors.. Where did you get that information from...

Take your kids in the building say hello to the instructors...THEN GO ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS...These are highly trained professionals your leaving your children with....100 YEARS of solid reputation...

They just dont want you hanging around the classes...HELICOPTER PARENTS ARE SO FUNNY TO ME.....
Yes, and then we get some of the same people defending a mother trying to rent an apartment, find a job, and buy furniture for a 22 yr. old who is 400 miles away.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,737 times
Default easy solution

The easiest solution to your concerns is to become an adult volunteer while you child attends programs. As a volunteer, you have to apply for Act 33 clearance and be subjected to a background check. That way SHH can show that the adults in the building with the children are not likely to subject them to harm. As a volunteer you can see the high quality of people that are involved at SHH and also contribute positvely to the development of your child and all the other members. As you may have guessed, I am an active volunteer ar SHH and my nine-year old son is a member. I have been a weekly volunteer for 15 years and never once seen any questionable activities among the adults and members. Problems occur when parents or members don't respect the rules or each other and think they are above them. There are also many opportunities to attend family activities and meet the staff and volunteers to see how SHH works. I was a member of SHH and have known most of the staff and volunteers as a child or when they were children. I have no hesitations leaving my son in the hands of this organization since I know their only job is being a childrens center. Pittsburgh is lucky to have this place.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhprentiss View Post
Hi--

I've heard of this club for kids and it sounds amazing.

I was looking at the website (Sarah Heinz House) and I noticed that they do not allow parents into most of the building, just in the main hall to drop off and pick up the kids. This struck me as very odd. Maybe it's a bit of the Mother Bear showing up, but does anyone have any experience with this boys and girls' club? Apparently it's been around for a very long time, and has pretty lofty goals.

It sounds great, but a few of my red flags went up...
Hello, I just signed my kids up for their and yes, you can only enter the front hallway.. adults not allowed through the rest of the building.

I've thought about it when they told me that and the more I thought about it the more it made sence.. If adults just wondered around teh building, then more staff would be needed to make sure that adults arent doing stuff theys houldnt be doing. Also, since they finger print the children, if something happens inside the building, its easier to find out who did it.

Furthermore, its most likely to keep adults from telling children to do something, contradictory to what the "teachers" are telling them. how many times have you seen parents interefere with childrens activities..

Old 10-08-2007, 04:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO Z View Post

Adults are not allowed any further then the waiting area inside the front door, unless its "family" night..

While they have adult activities, the hours are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh