Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:48 AM

255 posts, read 1,093,711 times

Advertisements

I've read a couple of posts that mention bad streets on the North Side area (Federal St., North Charles, etc.) and I'm wondering what the other "bad" parts of the area are.

I know that "bad" is usually a pretty subjective term, but if people familiar with the area could point out streets that are particularly unsavory I would appreciate it.

As a baseball fan I'm looking forward to seeing a few Pirates games with my wife, but I'm not too familiar with the North Side and would like to know what parts to avoid.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
I would say that if you're parking on the North Side and walking to the stadiums, you're not going to be in any "dangerous" areas. In fact, you'd have to know how to get to the more isolated areas, because there are usually no through streets that you would be on.

Suffice it to say that the greatest part of the North Side poses no danger, there are usually lots of people out walking, lots of traffic, and the neighborhoods you would be in are generally safe. Several neighborhoods: Allegheny West, Mexican War Streets, East Allegheny, which border West Park, are seeing nice restoration development, and many of those people move there from out of town and are used to REAL unsavory areas in New York, Washington, Baltimore, or Chicago. To them, the North Side is a cake walk.

Unless you're looking for drugs and driving up dark alleys in some out of the way place, you'll be fine. Just take the precautions you would use anywhere these days.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:53 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,167 times
The northside is far from as bad as it used to be. Most people are dead or in jail.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
You'll be safe going to a ball game, Elder.

The area immediately surroudning the ball parks is very safe. You'll be surrounded by thousands of fans when you're out on the sidewalks.

You know I rarely say someone will be safe so I hope you realize just how safe I think you'll be attending a game at the stadiums.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:00 PM

176 posts, read 767,021 times
The N. Shore is certainly one of the safest areas downtown...worst thing that might happen there, is a homeless person or a ticket scalper will ask you for money....

Enjoy the games...

Old 07-09-2007, 03:41 PM

Unhappy An Answer to My Question

Twins arrested in North Side slaying

Do people actually shoot other people just because they're not from the area?
That's really sick.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 PM

176 posts, read 767,021 times
That shooting wasn't on the N.Shore...Thats in brighton heights, a couple miles away from the stadium...

Normally, Brighton is a relatively safe neighborhood..But that goes to show you, we live in a crazy world..

Old 07-09-2007, 10:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Two million people a year pour into the South Bronx without incident to attend Yankees games.... I think you'll be OK on Pittsburgh's North Shore.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO Z View Post
That shooting wasn't on the N.Shore...Thats in brighton heights, a couple miles away from the stadium...
No, it happened in the lower end of California-Kirkbride, about a block from Mexican War Streets -- a pretty good distance away from Brighton Heights.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:00 AM

Lightbulb Just to Clarify

I was pretty sure about being safe going to baseball games.
I'm more interested in knowing about bad parts on the North Side (not North Shore) in general since I'm not familiar with that part of the city at all.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh