Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising

If nothing else my unhappy tenure in NoVA paved the way for me to appreciate life more elsewhere.
Granted you worked in the middle of NoVA, but I always wonder what your experience have been had you lived somewhere like Silver Spring or somewhere on the Maryland side.

That being said, I've enjoyed the fact that you did go to Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 01:41 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Yes, some people have rich parents who give them things. So what? Some people have dead grandparents who left them trust funds. So what? Who cares how anyone gets anything? Envying others, and what they have, will eat you alive. Someone will always be richer than you are unless you become Warren Buffet or Bill Gates. Envy will make you miserable, I suggest that you try to get over it. Work on you, and getting what you want, and forget about what other people have. You'll be happier for it.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:54 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Granted you worked in the middle of NoVA, but I always wonder what your experience have been had you lived somewhere like Silver Spring or somewhere on the Maryland side.

That being said, I've enjoyed the fact that you did go to Pittsburgh.
Many young people are very happy to live in NOVA. They rent or buy houses with their friends and have a great time. My own kids do just that. One son has shared a house in Tysons Corner with 3 friends for over a year. They do all kinds of things, on week nights they sail on the river, they go to the beach on weekends, travel to Vegas, go to breweries and wineries, play golf, have friends over to watch football, go to Skins games and Hockey games, go to movies and concerts, play poker, have girlfriends, ski, and go fishing, just to name a few of the things that they do. My son and gf also take cooking classes. One of the guys gardens. Another cooks frequently. They have a blast, and they're all in their mid-20's. None of them get money from their parents. They all have jobs about like SteelCityRising had at Tysons Corner. Lots of people in their 20's really enjoy living in NOVA. My son has no desire to live alone because he has so much fun living with his friends. That seems to be the common way to do it when people are in their 20's. I know that's what I did in the first years after college, shared a house with friends.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:01 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Envying others, and what they have, will eat you alive.
True. And so will stalking people on the Internet because at some point in the past they rubbed you the wrong way. I'd suggest getting over it--you'll be happier for it.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Then again to be fair I see that here in Pittsburgh, too. I drove up Joncaire Street in Oakland yesterday and saw an Acura SUV and a Volvo sedan (both new) parked in two different driveways of student housing. I also saw a young woman (about 20) getting into a Lexus sedan near Mad Mex. For as much as people on this sub-forum like to say that there ARE tons of high-earning early-20-somethings in Pittsburgh I'm inclined to think that any Pitt student driving such a vehicle as they grab expensive take-out food has pretty much been given a blank check by their parents.
Interesting comment. I'd love to see this explored a little further but it would be going off topic for this thread. I hope you don't mind if I borrow this quote to kick off a new thread--I think it could be a really interesting topic.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Caladium and JEB77, also NoVA regulars,
There are a lot more than just me and Jeb. I've been on city data for almost 5 years now, and lurking this forum most of that time. Over the years, I'd say about 1/3 (maybe even more) of the regulars on the Pittsburgh forum have also posted quite a bit on the DC or Nova forums. And vice-versa--I've seen plenty of people from Nova/DC forums come and go on the Pittsburgh forum. In addition, many of the regulars on this forum have either lived in the DC area at some time or visited frequently enough to know it well. The two metro areas are linked--IMO they're opposite sides of a coin.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:28 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I agree it is a natural link, and as far as I am concerned the vast majority of our NoVA/DC visitors are welcome any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh