Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:20 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

PLEASE Tell me which schools (close to Mt Lebanon IF ANY) have full day kindergarten.

I am actually having difficulty with my son who has PDD (borderline Autistic) because Watson told me he is "too high functioning", Wesley sent me to DART which is for kids younger than him, and the Pittsburgh School district tells me we have to pay tuition to have him in a full day somewhere in PGH!!!!

HELP PLEASE, this little guy is NOT doing well with half days (or 2 hrs). He is loosing all the progress he has made before we got here and I can't stand by and watch that happen.

I need to have him in a full day pronto and I don't care where I have to drive for it. Obviously we cannot afford to pay tuition since if we could we would have him in private school, in FL because he was special ed, he was able to go to any public school, seems that this is not the case here which is a huge problem.

So, please let me know if you know which schools (elementary/public) have full day kindergarten programs.

THANK YOU MUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:55 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
School Disctricts around Mt. Lebanon are Keystone Oaks, Upper St. Clair and Bethel Park. You can google them to find out which are full day.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Contact the director of special education at the Mt. Lebanon school district. The district should be giving you better guidance. The school district should pay any costs for enrollement elsewhere if the district doesn't have the appropriate placement available. There are plenty of services available for young children (under elementary school age) on the autism spectrum---including full schooling throughout the summer. Have you looked into getting "wrap around services" from the department of human welfare? Basically you get a medical social worker to connect you to services you don't know are available and coordinate services. I believe there is also legal advocacy nonprofit organization that will help fight for any services you are having difficulty accessing. The wrap around social worker will know the name of the group and have the contact information. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2011, 09:31 AM

9 posts, read 27,879 times
DART is the coordinator for children that are not yet in school..basically 3-6. They will act as the go-between for you and the school district. If your child is attending an elementary school, the school is responsible for his IEP. Is he not going to an elementary school for kindergarten?

If he is attending a daycare or private preschool, DART is who you need to deal with. If he is in your school district kindergarten, request an IEP in writing.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:48 AM

He already started in Kindergarten as he was/is ready to be integrated (mainstreamed) the only problem is that kindergarten here as opposed to FL is only 2 hours a day, and that makes it impossible for him to progress, and for me to get a job!

His progress however is going downhill because 2 hours for him is just ridiculously short. Today he started crying again, as he does every day since we got here that he wants to go back to school!!!!!

I called DART and they told me he's too old! Plus, he needs (per his IEP) to be in class with regular kids now.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:59 AM

I called Watson again to at least have him evaluated. They'll send me that packet and I know my hubby sent in all that paperwork for the state insurance (in case ours doesn't cover his services).

Old 09-29-2011, 10:03 AM

I have tried to contact this person (Connie Lewis which IS the special ed director/liaison etc for Mt Lebanon) since July!!!! I emailed her like 6 times, and called several times left message after message and I have not heard 1 word back from her!!!!

Ok, in case I find something in the "city" of PGH, they'll pay for it? Interesting. Did not know that. His IEP clearly states that he should be in school full time in order to achieve his goals.

I can't get wrap around until he is evaluated by Watson etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Contact the director of special education at the Mt. Lebanon school district. The district should be giving you better guidance. The school district should pay any costs for enrollment elsewhere if the district doesn't have the appropriate placement available. There are plenty of services available for young children (under elementary school age) on the autism spectrum---including full schooling throughout the summer. Have you looked into getting "wrap around services" from the department of human welfare? Basically you get a medical social worker to connect you to services you don't know are available and coordinate services. I believe there is also legal advocacy nonprofit organization that will help fight for any services you are having difficulty accessing. The wrap around social worker will know the name of the group and have the contact information. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2011, 10:03 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
He already started in Kindergarten as he was/is ready to be integrated (mainstreamed) the only problem is that kindergarten here as opposed to FL is only 2 hours a day, and that makes it impossible for him to progress, and for me to get a job!

His progress however is going downhill because 2 hours for him is just ridiculously short. Today he started crying again, as he does every day since we got here that he wants to go back to school!!!!!

I called DART and they told me he's too old! Plus, he needs (per his IEP) to be in class with regular kids now.
Sounds like your only choice is to move into a district that offers full day kindergarten.

What about after school care? I know our district offers that at a cost.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:14 AM

812 posts, read 1,908,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I have tried to contact this person (Connie Lewis which IS the special ed director/liaison etc for Mt Lebanon) since July!!!! I emailed her like 6 times, and called several times left message after message and I have not heard 1 word back from her!!!!

Ok, in case I find something in the "city" of PGH, they'll pay for it? Interesting. Did not know that. His IEP clearly states that he should be in school full time in order to achieve his goals.

I can't get wrap around until he is evaluated by Watson etc.

If she won't contact you after that much contact/effort then I would go directly to the school board or whomever is her superior with your email print outs where she has failed to contact you and see if they can get you some assistance. Sounds like you need to show your FACE and get something that way.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:36 AM

14 posts, read 22,976 times
Brentwood School District offers full-day kindergarten. My children are not yet school-aged so I don't have any first-hand experience with the school. Good luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh