Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I actually think for elderly people who don't need to be on a particular schedule and who are just looking for relatively inexpensive housing with accessible transit service, our "McDonalds"-model bus system works OK. It could be better, but relative to many other U.S. cities, it could also be considerably worse.
Ouch, I wouldn't want to be an active senior and read that. Believe it or not, some seniors do have a schedule. Why would you defend something that isn't all that great? Seems you are endlessly defending what governments do. I am starting to suspect you to be a paid forum poster that is paid by the state or something. I mean seriously, EVERYTHING in Pittsburgh isn't perfect! There are things that need fixed. Goodness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 12:39 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Ouch, I wouldn't want to be an active senior and read that. Believe it or not, some seniors do have a schedule. Why would you defend something that isn't all that great? Seems you are endlessly defending what governments do. I am starting to suspect you to be a paid forum poster that is paid by the state or something. I mean seriously, EVERYTHING in Pittsburgh isn't perfect! There are things that need fixed. Goodness!
Ah ha, but by that same logic not everything in Pittsburgh sucks. Perhaps some services or amenities aren't the best relative to other cities, or aren't as good as they can potentially be, but that doesn't mean that they're a total failure.

And in fact that is true for PAT. Despite the fact that it has recently been facing significant challenges and has been forced to cut service, there is still a huge population served by PAT on a daily basis (List of US Cities with High Transit Ridership). Not as good as New York, and perhaps not as good as it could be, but also not pathetic or worthy of abandonment.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:42 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Ah ha, but by that same logic not everything in Pittsburgh sucks.
What logic are you talking about? Who said "everything in Pittsburgh sucks."? No one. I am talking about someone that continually argues everything our government does is the best. For heavens sake, he has to be paid to say that on every topic. Would be a fun job though. Just post everything positive you can every day and defend government's decisions regardless if there is any faults. Wonder how much he gets paid?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:50 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
What logic are you talking about? Who said "everything in Pittsburgh sucks."? No one. I am talking about someone that continually argues everything our government does is the best. For heavens sake, he has to be paid to say that on every topic. Would be a fun job though. Just post everything positive you can every day and defend government's decisions regardless if there is any faults. Wonder how much he gets paid?
Not that I agree with you, but you are the 4th person I've seen that's posted that.....

Makes you wonder.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:50 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,619 times
Quote:
Ouch, I wouldn't want to be an active senior and read that. Believe it or not, some seniors do have a schedule. Why would you defend something that isn't all that great?
Because it also isn't that terrible. And actually, it's quite useful to a lot of people, including seniors.

Quote:
Seems you are endlessly defending what governments do. I am starting to suspect you to be a paid forum poster that is paid by the state or something. I mean seriously, EVERYTHING in Pittsburgh isn't perfect! There are things that need fixed. Goodness!
This is actually the opposite of the truth. The crux of the matter with PAT's difficulties is that the state government has cut its funding. No one has defended the state government for that decision, and actually the poster in question has perhaps been the most critical of the state government on that matter.

Quote:
Just post everything positive you can every day and defend government's decisions regardless if there is any faults.
I don't think any of the people that you continually refer to as "cheerleaders" do this. Usually it's just those who don't share your opinions that receive this label.

Last edited by ML North; 09-29-2011 at 01:19 PM..

Old 09-29-2011, 01:20 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Not that I agree with you, but you are the 4th person I've seen that's posted that.....

Makes you wonder.
Are you serious? I have never personally met anyone that sided with government like Brian does. Not kidding. Has anyone? Most people I know aren't too thrilled with our current leaders, from top to bottom. That is what makes it so odd to read someone that is totally opposite from everyone I know.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:24 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Are you serious? I have never personally met anyone that sided with government like Brian does. Not kidding. Has anyone? Most people I know aren't too thrilled with our current leaders, from top to bottom. That is what makes it so odd to read someone that is totally opposite from everyone I know.
I meant about the whole "certain posters are paid to push certain agenda" thing. I don't think that's true in this case but you are the 4th person I've heard say that. Who knows......

Old 09-29-2011, 02:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
But you're taking a huge leap by even linking a simple post like "Oh for some it might not be that bad" to someone who says that must be in agreement with all our current leaders.

Seriously dude? Are you going to tell me you can't see what a leap that is?

You seem very happy with the new status of Rt 28. But I thought you weren't thrilled with our current leaders, how could you side with the government?

No really, that is the exact same thing you just did.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:31 PM

137 posts, read 274,719 times
The first thing I thought of w/ this post title was "do they know how many steps you need to get to 90% of the houses in Pgh???"

We only saw maybe 4 out of 40 houses w/ a level entry when we were looking (one of our "wants"). The stair-glide people must make a mint in Pgh!

Old 09-29-2011, 02:59 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomerJen View Post
The first thing I thought of w/ this post title was "do they know how many steps you need to get to 90% of the houses in Pgh???"

We only saw maybe 4 out of 40 houses w/ a level entry when we were looking (one of our "wants"). The stair-glide people must make a mint in Pgh!
I was thinking the same thing. Icy hills, lots of steps, and seniors may not be a great combo. Also, Pittsburgh could work well for someone who already lives in a similar climate, but most seniors I know want to retire to some place sunnier and warmer than where they already live.

OTOH I do have friends who took a trip to Pittsburgh to check it out as a possible retirement spot, so obviously some people like the idea. They ended up choosing Charleston, SC but they liked Pittsburgh enough to take a trip there and check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh