Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:31 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Trail plan gets state's OK, begins moving forward | YourFoxChapel.com (http://www.yourfoxchapel.com/node/6339 - broken link)

This state approval is the first step. With the purchase of the Aspinwall Marina and that development, I would imagine this will start moving forward, but it will be an expensive proposition. The area from Millvale to Aspinwall is the "most challenging" segment, but the money probably will be raised to get this done. The enhancement to the region to be able to walk and cycle to the city of Pittsburgh from Aspinwall, would be huge for all in this area. I am speechless in hearing this news, but am able to type. I had no idea they were moving on this like they are. So far there has been 2.3 million dollars raise to buy the marina and a few hundred more thousand to develop it. Not sure of funds needed to connect to Millvale, but I hope to get that number and help anyway I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 09:22 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
The overall trail plan for this area is amazing, and I am glad it seems to be making steady progress.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 AM

875 posts, read 1,489,980 times
Well this is just stupendous news to hear. Is there additional information on proposed routings, timelines, etc.?

I feel like if this got done, as well as a new bridge crossing, Oakmont would become a new bicycle-friendly community.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
Well this is just stupendous news to hear. Is there additional information on proposed routings, timelines, etc.?

I feel like if this got done, as well as a new bridge crossing, Oakmont would become a new bicycle-friendly community.
The bridge would mean nothing to me, but a trail under the Hulton Bridge would make Oakmont a bicycle friendly place. I don't care if I had to walk my bike up to Hulton Bridge. Just to get to there would make me very happy.

This is very exciting.

I will find out more about timelines and such, but I suspect this has a ways to go. I certainly wouldn't underestimate Friends of the Riverfront. Everyone should join! It enhances our city and surrounding areas. The riverfront trails are really used a lot. We will be connected all the way to DC by trail. Someday it will go to Erie and countless little towns along the way in both directions. We all are very lucky to be a part of this!

Old 10-15-2011, 03:17 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
This is exciting news to improve the river front in that area. Now if we can get the same thing going in the rest of Lawrenceville!

Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
This is exciting news to improve the river front in that area. Now if we can get the same thing going in the rest of Lawrenceville!
It will be a harder go in Lawrenceville because the Aspinwall Marina was funded by people raising money privately and aggressively going after donations. Highmark came through with $200K which helped, but this was hugely private donations. We are lucky to have someone like Susan Crookston, who lives in Aspinwall and really went after this as well as the founder of the Friends of the Riverfront, Tom Baxter.

If you want it in Lawrenceville, you need to have some people pushing hard for it. Someone aggressively heading it up is what it takes.

I am still stunned by what has been accomplished in the marina purchase. I just hope there is a goal and plan for the connection to Millvale via trail. Hope it gets spelled out soon. I have a feeling the RR is going to be such a pain!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:26 AM

A bike/ped trail from Lawrenceville to Downtown is part of the Allegheny Riverfront plan, and related planning studies have recently gotten state and federal grants.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
A bike/ped trail from Lawrenceville to Downtown is part of the Allegheny Riverfront plan, and related planning studies have recently gotten state and federal grants.
There are plans, but it takes motivated people to really get things going. I mean my area just bought a whole marina and look how fast that happened. Now state approval for a trail to connect to Millvale. To sit back and think the Lawrenceville deal will get done is going to take forever. Plans can sit around for many years. Who is heading that up? I know Friends of the Riverfront is involved, but it takes local people to get the money going if you want things to happen in your own lifetime. I hope Lawrenceville gets that trail and such going, but I fear it is a very long way off. Most just want to watch and see if it can happen and not get involved.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:17 AM

The Riverfront plan involved the City, URA, and Riverlife. Riverlife in particular has quite the track record (no pun intended) when it comes to completing trail projects.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:04 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
There are plans, but it takes motivated people to really get things going. I mean my area just bought a whole marina and look how fast that happened. Now state approval for a trail to connect to Millvale. To sit back and think the Lawrenceville deal will get done is going to take forever. Plans can sit around for many years. Who is heading that up? I know Friends of the Riverfront is involved, but it takes local people to get the money going if you want things to happen in your own lifetime. I hope Lawrenceville gets that trail and such going, but I fear it is a very long way off. Most just want to watch and see if it can happen and not get involved.
I do feel like it will be awhile before Lawrenceville has a trail for the entire neighborhood and not just from 43rd to 37th Streets. A lot of the riverfront areas in the neighborhood would need a lot of work before they could be developed into a trail and I don't think the money is there to be spent on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh