Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:12 PM

659 posts, read 1,146,021 times

Advertisements

so they were thinking of their loved ones and sparing them agony?

Old 12-09-2011, 09:16 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,150 times
By going to an isolated, but not remote location out of the home the suicide victim a.) spares the family of the physical mess, and b.) ensures that their body is quickly discovered and identified after the fact. My guess is that family and loved ones can never escape the agony of having someone close to them commit suicide.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 PM

Its just ashame we cant get these people help before this happens, there has to be more we can do as a society to help people...I understand depression all too well, been there myself, sometimes life events work in favor for a person.just becase and sometimes it just gets worse, a person has no one to talk too, they see no light...its so very sad...personal for me cause of what I had experienced in life...

Old 12-09-2011, 11:24 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Take it from someone who was on the verge of suicide not all that long ago before seeking professional help when I tell you honestly that when someone takes their own life they are not capable of behaving in a rational manner. In my own circumstance I felt as if I would make people happier if I removed myself from their lives. I felt like nothing but a burden. My life was replete with problems, and depression consumed me to the point where I'd e-mail my boss some mornings to say I wasn't feeling well and then just lie on my floor in the fetal position for hours and hours shaking and crying (while colleagues just wrote me off as being "crazy").

Our society not only doesn't understand mental illnesses but also doesn't care to understand them, either. It's so much easier to see someone crying on a park bench and just pretend we're texting someone as we walk by, not caring that they may be preparing to take their own lives just moments later because they feel like they're more alone than you could ever imagine. My tenure in Northern Virginia was a very dark one as I battled those demons inside of me for months and months on end. It took nine months of therapy, a change of scenery, and some holistic health remedies to finally "correct" the imbalances within me, and I arose from my dark place with a renewed sense of respect for ailments of the mind.

Some of you can speak as pejoratively about this mother as you'd like, but as for me I'll feel sorry for her because she was hurting inside and never received the help she needed before it was too late.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:23 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Very tragic situation.

Motive for Hempfield murder-suicide remains a mystery - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 12-10-2011, 07:45 AM

Great post...steel city...I agree about that with those whotake their own, I know why you thought that...been there...no one really can relate unless they been there...however to take another's life, I see that as just being evil, not mentally ill in most cases...i can not wrap my mind around how someone can take another's life, esp their own child....I will never understand that!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:23 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
People from Hempfield just really hate chains.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:25 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
People from Hempfield just really hate chains.
??
Attempt at a morbid joke?

BTW - the mom and son were from Brentwood.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:15 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
And sometimes things are as they seem to be too...what you all think? This is a very nice area, it has shocked so many people...including myself;(
So much for the people who scoff at living in the city.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:06 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
Great post...steel city...I agree about that with those whotake their own, I know why you thought that...been there...no one really can relate unless they been there...however to take another's life, I see that as just being evil, not mentally ill in most cases...i can not wrap my mind around how someone can take another's life, esp their own child....I will never understand that!
That's another sparing the other person thing. It's a person that has such tight control on their lives that they also control other family members lives, and when they spiral out of control, they take everyone with them to spare them life without that person.

And you can't understand them -- there is nothing to understand. They are not in their right mind. It's happened here a few times, because we've been hit so badly with umemployment and foreclosures.

I worked with a woman who embezzled almost 300K from the bank I worked in. When it was discovered she went home and shot herself.

After the shock wore off, we all went out for drinks and snacks, and really talked. One person said Marcy told her her husband drove rally cars and won pots of money. She told me her Dad was wealthy and gave her money all the time. Another person she told she did runway show modeling and was paid cash. There was a slew of different stories as to how she came by the money she deposited....

The FBI was investigating almost all of us, to see if any of us were involved, and one of the agents said it was sad, she would have likely spent little or no time at all in jail....

I was the one that hit on the idea that she took her own life because it exposed her -- that we would all knew she lied about everything. Pretty much everyone thought that sounded good.... and it made *me* feel better about it, it helped me make sense of it...

But I still don't really know why. And I never will...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh