Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 AM

675 posts, read 2,097,481 times

Advertisements

With the exception of the speed limit, I find myself being a stickler for driving laws. I feel that everything goes much smoother if everyone follows the PA Driver's Manual to a T. Lately, though, I've found that many people seem to not know (or ignore) a few things about PA driving laws.

The first involves right-of-way at intersections with four-way stop signs. If one vehicle clearly arrives at the intersection before other vehicles, the first vehicle may proceed first. When multiple vehicles arrive at roughly the same time, however, a few rules kick in:

1. Drivers turning left must yield to oncoming drivers going straight through the intersection. There is one intersection in particular where I have to turn left to get to my house, and just about every time I get to this intersection, the opposing car looks at me like I must be asleep at the wheel, just waiting for me to go, even though they have no turn signal on.

2. Drivers coming from the left must yield to vehicles coming from the right.

The second thing involves what to do when a traffic light is inoperable. It seems that every time there's a big storm that knocks out power to the traffic signals at an intersection, all hell breaks loose. If I had to guess, many people think that the rules of the road are that the bigger road with more traffic can just proceed through the intersection while the smaller road is SOL.

In this case, the Driver's Manual states that the rules mentioned above kick in, and the intersection should be treated like a four-way stop. When I do this, however, most of the time the people behind me lay on their horns.

Not sure if this is something that people know and understand and have just decided to blatantly ignore, or if they really didn't learn these rules during licensing. If it's the latter, I hope this clears some things up.

Last edited by gallacus; 12-14-2011 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Specified that I was referring to intersections with four-way stop signs, not intersections with traffic lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Sorry read quickly.

Last edited by Tinare; 12-14-2011 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Added to

Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I'm very familiar with the Pittsburgh Left as I've lived in the Southside for years, but that only applies to intersections with traffic lights, especially those with no turning lanes. There would be no reason to allow someone turning left at a stop sign right-of-way over someone going straight.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Not all of us agree that "that everything goes much smoother if everyone follows the PA Driver's Manual to a T."

In your situation #1, it is a pretty obnoxious thing to wait at a stop sign because the guy who got there at the same time as you decides to wait 10 seconds before turning. If you pause at a stop sign for more than a second or two, I am going to go.

In situation #2, it is pretty obnoxious to come to a complete stop if you are on a major road, and thereby cause a traffic jam on a major road instead of having 1-2 cars backed up on the side road.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:13 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
I'm very familiar with the Pittsburgh Left as I've lived in the Southside for years, but that only applies to intersections with traffic lights, especially those with no turning lanes. There would be no reason to allow someone turning left at a stop sign right-of-way over someone going straight.
So, just a general rant, then. Gotcha.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Not all of us agree that "that everything goes much smoother if everyone follows the PA Driver's Manual to a T."
Touché.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:

In your situation #1, it is a pretty obnoxious thing to wait for an entire light to turn left just to uphold some traffic law, and in the process create a traffic jam behind you.

In situation #2, it is pretty obnoxious to come to a complete stop if you are on a major road, and thereby cause a traffic jam on a major road instead of having 1-2 cars backed up on the side road.
I suppose I didn't do a good enough job explaining the situation. I'm not referring to intersections with traffic lights, I'm referring to four-way stop intersections. Both of your answers above are advocating for the use of the Pittsburgh Left, which I have no problem with, I'm referring to something totally different.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
I suppose I didn't do a good enough job explaining the situation. I'm not referring to intersections with traffic lights, I'm referring to four-way stop intersections.
Sorry, I re-edited my response. I read the OP quickly

Old 12-14-2011, 12:17 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
With the exception of the speed limit, I find myself being a stickler for driving laws.
Me too!

Quote:
I feel that everything goes much smoother if everyone follows the PA Driver's Manual to a T. Lately, though, I've found that many people seem to not know (or ignore) a few things about PA driving laws.
It's a mix of both, but mostly, ignore.

Quote:
The first involves right-of-way at intersections. If one vehicle clearly arrives at the intersection before other vehicles, the first vehicle may proceed first. When multiple vehicles arrive at roughly the same time, however, a few rules kick in:

1. Drivers turning left must yield to oncoming drivers going straight through the intersection. There is one intersection in particular where I have to turn left to get to my house, and just about every time I get to this intersection, the opposing car looks at me like I must be asleep at the wheel, just waiting for me to go, even though they have no turn signal on.

2. Drivers coming from the left must yield to vehicles coming from the right.

The second thing involves what to do when a traffic light is inoperable. It seems that every time there's a big storm that knocks out power to the traffic signals at an intersection, all hell breaks loose. If I had to guess, many people think that the rules of the road are that the bigger road with more traffic can just proceed through the intersection while the smaller road is SOL.

In this case, the Driver's Manual states that the rules mentioned above kick in, and the intersection should be treated like a four-way stop. When I do this, however, most of the time the people behind me lay on their horns.

Not sure if this is something that people know and understand and have just decided to blatantly ignore, or if they really didn't learn these rules during licensing. If it's the latter, I hope this clears some things up.
I love four way intersections period. The nations "most polite drivers" get to that intersection, sit there, look at eachother, and go "you go"........"no, you go".............while someone else sits and watches the entire situation. JUST GO!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
While I agree that it is an inconvenience for the people on the larger road, it is also the law to treat the intersection like a four-way stop when the lights are out. Because of this, not doing so is akin to running a stop sign, and puts everyone in the intersection's life at risk. It's the only way for everyone to advance safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh