Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:10 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times

Advertisements

Now that housing prices are really starting to rise, it appears as though if I am able to buy a house in a neighborhood or suburban area that suits my needs, that I may not have a driveway. I've never had a home that did not have a driveway or garage.

What are the pitfalls of on street parking? Is it a wise idea to even buy a home that does not have any kind of access to off street parking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 07:26 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
What are the pitfalls of on street parking?
Yinzer Justice Swift For Disrespecting Parking Chairs - Pittsburgh Weather News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh

Last edited by jay5835; 02-25-2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times
The pitfall of on-street parking is you might not be able to find a space that close to your home, particularly in the winter.

If that's important to you, you might want to consider only places with driveways or downscale areas which are less densely populated and have a lot fewer cars on the street.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:42 AM

12,391 posts, read 7,102,019 times
I think it's funny that the story title suggests that yinzers are using the parking chairs, then the story is about the neighborhoods of Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, and Regent Square. Yep, those neighborhoods are know to be full of yinzers.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the replies. I still have my old orange cone from the 80's.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Some places have lots of street space available. Many people street park in Regent Square, for example, and it usually isn't hard finding a close spot.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:49 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,968,698 times
All depends on the neighborhood, I guess. I lived in the East Allegheny section of the North Side for 12 years with on-street parking (permitted). Very dense neighborhood with row houses and all were occupied. Never had much of a problem. Everyone on the street respected each other and we were all able to park near our houses. When the snow was very bad (only happened a couple times), the city let us park our cars in the nearby municipal lot for a couple days while they plowed the streets in the arrea.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:36 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Now that housing prices are really starting to rise, it appears as though if I am able to buy a house in a neighborhood or suburban area that suits my needs, that I may not have a driveway. I've never had a home that did not have a driveway or garage.

What are the pitfalls of on street parking? Is it a wise idea to even buy a home that does not have any kind of access to off street parking?

Check the street at 8pm on a week night. If it isn't too crowded you have nothing to worry about. On street isn't too bad, you give a little, you take a little. People get touchy about parking in front of their home sometimes. Its rare that I don't have a spot and have to park a block over, but when that happens it isn't that big of a deal.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:38 AM

674 posts, read 1,413,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
All depends on the neighborhood, I guess.
I second this. I also second the recommendation to go down the street at 8 or 9 pm on a weeknight to see what kind of spaces are available.

If it is an area near dining/bars/shopping or some other attraction, you are going to have issues getting a spot sometime.

I lived in Shadyside for two years with street parking. Usually not too bad of a problem, except on weekend nights when people would park their cars then walk to their evening out destination. Similarly, when the Shadyside Arts Festival or other event happens, that wrecks havoc. Of course, this is if you are in a non-permit area. I still remember trying to find a spot on my street, and then having a drag queen blow me a kiss from her float as I was waiting to cut across the street, lol.

Also, you will need to pay attention to the street cleaning schedule. You will have to find somewhere else to park your car that day (usually twice a month, I think) off that street. Also, when neighboring streets are being cleaned, more people will park on your block.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:30 AM

This is good advice. I would not even begin to think about these issues because this is something that I've never had to do.

Naturally I will hope that I can get a house with a driveway but now that prices are rising if I can find a home that suits me I may have to settle for one without off street parking. I guess I will have to weigh the pro's and con's of each area before I can decide whether or not to get a home without a driveway.

Who ever thought the Pittsburgh area housing market would start to take off in the manner that it has? It is getting close to becoming a boom town at least as far as how long even fixer upper homes stay on the market before selling after their initial list date. Homes are moving pretty briskly these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh