Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 AM

147 posts, read 144,779 times

Advertisements

What are the best Catholic secondary schools in Pittsburgh? By "best" I mean strongly orthodox in terms of the Faith, high academic standards, uniforms, conservative code of conduct, low incidence of violence/bullying.

Are there any sex segregated Catholic high schools?

Are there many Catholic homeschoolers in Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:51 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
Central Catholic (boys) and Oakland Catholic (girls) are well-regarded in the City and in fact draw from the suburbs as well, although I don't know how they would specifically score on your various criteria.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Central Catholic's football team was once notorious for a form of bullying known as teabagging: Diocese ends Central Catholic's football season

Old 01-12-2012, 11:27 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Central Catholic's football team was once notorious for a form of bullying known as teabagging: Diocese ends Central Catholic's football season
It doesn't say much for the intellect of our fair city when the vast majority of parents were outraged over the cancellation of the football season instead of a boy having been sexually assaulted by other boys. Coupled with what we just saw with Penn State where more people were outraged over Joe Paterno's firing (to the point of rioiting) than were upset by potentially dozens of young boys being raped have we become a society that condones sexual misconduct towards male youths?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It doesn't say much for the intellect of our fair city when the vast majority of parents were outraged over the cancellation of the football season instead of a boy having been sexually assaulted by other boys. Coupled with what we just saw with Penn State where more people were outraged over Joe Paterno's firing (to the point of rioiting) than were upset by potentially dozens of young boys being raped have we become a society that condones sexual misconduct towards male youths?
Exactly. What spooked me about it most is that if I'd grown up here, I'd've been a student there.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Exactly. What spooked me about it most is that if I'd grown up here, I'd've been a student there.
Granted this happened in 2002, but if the mentality of the majority of Central Catholic parents has not changed much over the past decade then I can safely say the OP should steer clear. I would never pay to send my child to a school where criminal misconduct committed by students (yes, restraining a child and rubbing your genitals over his face IS sexual assault---not "boys being boys") is tolerated, yet the cancellation of the football season is not. Talk about self-centered. Perhaps if "Little Johnny" REPORTED what he saw instead of (presumably) laughing as these other boys did this he'd have been able to play football that season? It sounds like a lot of these parents were more concerned about what impact their child not being able to play football would have upon their college recruitment. How about trying to gain admittance to the institution of higher learning of your choice based upon ACADEMIC MERIT instead of ATHLETIC PROWESS?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Granted this happened in 2002, but if the mentality of the majority of Central Catholic parents has not changed much over the past decade then I can safely say the OP should steer clear. I would never pay to send my child to a school where criminal misconduct committed by students (yes, restraining a child and rubbing your genitals over his face IS sexual assault) is tolerated, yet the cancellation of the football season is not. Talk about self-centered. Perhaps if "Little Johnny" REPORTED what he saw instead of (presumably) laughing as these other boys did this he'd have been able to play football that season? It sounds like a lot of these parents were more concerned about what impact their child not being able to play football would have upon their college recruitment. How about trying to gain admittance to the institution of higher learning of your choice based upon ACADEMIC MERIT instead of ATHLETIC PROWESS?
In addition to academic merit, you also have to consider the Catholic parents who sent their kids to Catholic schools in an act of blind faith (read: fear) because the church convinced them that to do otherwise meant their souls would burn in hell for eternity if they sent their offspring to public school. Admittedly, this was more an issue for my generation than yours, but it was an issue and it was HUGE.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
In addition to academic merit, you also have to consider the Catholic parents who sent their kids to Catholic schools in an act of blind faith (read: fear) because the church convinced them that to do otherwise meant their souls would burn in hell for eternity if they sent their offspring to public school. Admittedly, this was more an issue for my generation than yours, but it was an issue and it was HUGE.
The OP obviously views strict adherence to Cathrolic Doctrine as being one of their top criterion in school consideration, and, as such, we should also take that into consideration in providing our advice.

The link you provided and our side-commentary is very relevant in this decision, though, because I wouldn't want to associate with (nor would I want my children associating with) "parents" (if you can call them that) who would prioritize athletics over the well-being and safety of other children who attend the school. Believe it or not with how socially liberal I am I still have SOME stringent moral and ethical standards that are unshakeable. One can argue that "football parents" at Central Catholic may be an inferior breed to the majority of other parents at this school and may not be representative of the school body as a whole entity, but this is something the OP would have to find out for herself/himself by potentially being extraverted and attempting to meet other Central Catholic parents first before making an enrollment decision.

People know where I stand on the issue of prioritizing athlethics over the well-being of children. I've been "defriended" by some Joe Paterno zealots on Facebook, but so be it.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
have we become a society that condones sexual misconduct towards male youths?
Unfortunately, that happened long ago (see, e.g., our tolerance of sexual abuse in prisons).

Old 01-12-2012, 11:53 AM

By the way, "The decision angered several parents" is not the same as "The decision angered the vast majority of parents".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh