Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 AM

80 posts, read 111,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
It's very fortunate that nothing violent ever happens in suburban schools.
Wait -- uhh -- what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 04:23 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,297,409 times
As in many high schools, your kids are isolated from the worst problems if they are in the upper tracks (meaning usually also, if they come from families that value education). That is why Allderdice can be sucessful while still having problems in the regular track. Unfortunately teachers often have to teach both.
By the way, I went to Fox Chapel and we had students smoking bongs in the back of the bus and a few times the bus driver asked them to sit in front so he could have some too!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:01 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,575,737 times
I always had my butler take care of my battles in the Great White North.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,728,155 times
I went to high school at a public school in the early 2000's. One of my shop teachers got his ribs broken breaking up a fight, another shop teacher was laughed at outside of school for telling kids to stop cutting class due to the fact that one of the kids was carrying a gun, one of the math teachers got pushed by a student who was then expelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
As in many high schools, your kids are isolated from the worst problems if they are in the upper tracks (meaning usually also, if they come from families that value education).
I disagree. You run into the into the thugs in the hallway, lunch room, gym class, vocational classes, foreign language classes, outside of school, etc. There is little isolation from the scummy element.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 AM

1,050 posts, read 700,342 times
Carl, Would you say these aggressive students are distributed throughout PBGH and surrounding areas? Would others in this forum agree? Do these incidents happen more in high school? How about middle school (that's what we call it here)?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 AM

What neighborhood/ part of town is Allerdice in? Also for the worst of the schools, if there are, what neighborhoods, part of town are they in?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,728,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
Carl, Would you say these aggressive students are distributed throughout PBGH and surrounding areas? Would others in this forum agree? Do these incidents happen more in high school? How about middle school (that's what we call it here)?
Honestly, I'm a few years removed from high school (as are all the posters here) so I couldn't give you up to date information. But back when I was in high school all the schools were rough with the exception of Allderdice to an extent.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,575,737 times
I only wish I was a few years removed from high school. Best 5 years of my life!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,184,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
As in many high schools, your kids are isolated from the worst problems if they are in the upper tracks (meaning usually also, if they come from families that value education). That is why Allderdice can be sucessful while still having problems in the regular track. Unfortunately teachers often have to teach both.
By the way, I went to Fox Chapel and we had students smoking bongs in the back of the bus and a few times the bus driver asked them to sit in front so he could have some too!
Drugs are everywhere. There's a big difference between getting high on the bus or in the school bathroom and teachers being assulted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
In the suburbs, middle school is more violent, like 8th grade-ish. But the violent offenders are prosecuted, sent away to Shuman Center and alternative schools. One or two incidents are suspension but repeatedly violent or an extremely violent incident is dealt with harshly. If a student attacked a teacher, that student would no longer be attending a suburban school. What's being described in this thread is that nothing is being done when students are violent in the city schools.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 AM

Are the suburbs outside of the city proper? I have attached a link of a map from Wikipedia. Are the suburbs located outside this area?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Pittsburgh_Pennsylvania_neighborhoods.svg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh