Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 03:27 PM

9 posts, read 25,608 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a realtor? Someone who is used to working with first time buyers and is comfortable with the internet?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 03:33 PM

206 posts, read 688,680 times
My family has been very happy with Lisa Levine at Prudential Preferred -- 412-521-5500 ext. 236 . In general, I would avoid Howard Hanna -- I hear nothing but bad stories about them no matter which end of the deal they are on.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:02 AM

21 posts, read 84,494 times
Interesting about Howard Hanna - we used Dana Chalfant at the Fox Chapel branch and he has been absolutely brilliant. We're not first time buyers but we've never bought a house in America, where everything is different from how we did it in Britain.
Dana walked us through everything, spent ages driving me around to get to know the areas we were interested in, gave us loads of local information (places to walk the dog, roads to avoid in winter, interesting places to visit, good restaurants ...) and, now we have bought somewhere, has made suggestions as to how to find approved tradesmen (he's not allowed to recommend anyone personally, apparently).
Not sure how comfortable he is with the internet, we've done most of our stuff by phone, but he's emailed us stuff so he must be able to do the basics!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:00 AM

176 posts, read 767,467 times
la_torque,

That's a completely slanderous and ridiculous comment about Howard Hanna, they are a local company who have built a wonderful business. They are also like the 3rd largest independent in the US...You cant build a business that large with bad stories (as you claim)..

My recommendation to you socalfam, is to find out what part of the city you plan on living in first...As most good realtors focus on certain areas of pittsburgh..So the recommendations I could give you that are great, are limited to Mt. Lebo area, Sq Hill area, Shadyside, & N.Side-N.Hills...Different REALTOR for each area also...

Old 09-08-2007, 09:46 AM

206 posts, read 688,680 times
There's nothing slanderous about it -- she asked for opinions, I gave mine. Until Rona's post I literally had never heard of an HH transaction that went smoothly. I've known maybe 10 people involved in transacitons with them -- a small sample to be sure, but it did seem strange that they ALL told me they would never use them/use them again. You're right that they *must* do right by someone or they wouldn't have the business they do, I just don't happen to know any of those people.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO Z View Post
My recommendation to you socalfam, is to find out what part of the city you plan on living in first...As most good realtors focus on certain areas of pittsburgh..So the recommendations I could give you that are great, are limited to Mt. Lebo area, Sq Hill area, Shadyside, & N.Side-N.Hills...Different REALTOR for each area also...
Excellent advice! The OP definitely needs to pick where they want to live prior to chosing a realtor!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:27 AM

141 posts, read 721,963 times
I would have to agree with finding a realtor that is specific to your area- they will know the neighborhood best.

If you are specifically looking online, find the realtor that has the most listings in the neighborhood you are looking for, then call/email them. For instance, in my neck of the woods there are 2 that stand out- their names are on ALL the signs. They will be the best person to help you decide if you are getting the best price, etc.

Our realtor grew up in our neighborhood....knew all my neighbors, where to get the best pizza, etc. He actually helped pour the driveway for the old lady that used to live in my house!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:50 AM

10 posts, read 60,126 times
I have to agree as well, it's good advice to consider the neighborhood. That being said, I'd like to make a plug for my realtor - I was a first time buyer when I used her, and I feel she's very knowledgeabel about many areas of the city and its suburbs, she's very invested in the community, she's very very dedicated to knowing the details that make her a good agent, and I felt like she was on my side. And yes she's comfortable with the internet:
http://realtybrokers.pennsylvania.re...Assid=07140801
And after all, you may not know enough yet to feel like you know what area you are interested in
Good luck!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:52 AM

10 posts, read 60,126 times
Oh and I also wanted to comment, I had limited experience with HH. Charlene, who I recommended above, was with HH when we started looking, but changed to re/max at some point deep into the process. I didn't ask her why. However, we used HH's mortgage services. It was not a good experience but I'll spare the details. I also have a friend who had a very bad experience with HH when she went looking for a house and is also very anti-HH like the poster above. I think that it must vary with the branch, and especially with the realtor, but in my limited experiece, I'm not too high on HH either.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I'm really confused. I've been loosely following this thread, and I thought there was supposed to be no advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh