Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 06:08 PM

32 posts, read 186,093 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know if there are teaching jobs available in Pittsburgh... mostly Elementary or Middle School jobs. I am in west Michigan where there are VERY few teaching jobs and most get over 100 applications per position. Also, if the situation is similar in Pittsburgh, does anyone know where teaching jobs are generally available yet not in the south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 06:14 PM

214 posts, read 241,522 times
I know there was a thread on this before. I think a lot of people were complaining about it. I don't really know. I think they are always looking for teachers in the bad sections of the city which nobody wants. That would be a good challenge in my opinion. THen again, I really don't know what I am talking about with teaching jobs here. Just search for that thread.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:31 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,243 times
Default Tight Pittsburgh Teaching Market

Rob. The teaching market in the Pittsburgh area is pretty tight. Decent pay, benefits, and generally a shrinking population base are making things pretty tight as new jobs go in both the public and private educational arena here. In fact most of the local colleges and univ's graduate many student teachers each year and many look to the south and west for teaching jobs and many times at lower salary then what is typical of Pittsburgh area schools. Having said this, a very good buddy just landed a english position at a fast growing north hills public high school. And this past Sunday in the Post Gazette I noticed several teaching positions still open. It's a tight market ( Mt Lebo high school recieved several thousand applications for two teaching positions ) but there are a few jobs out there. Good luck ! P.S> Subsitute teachers are always needed at $80 to $120 per day of sub work. I know several people that sub all year and make a salary based on this.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:39 PM

32 posts, read 186,093 times
Thanks for the replies. The stories sound similar to the situation in MI. I was asking because my fiance is looking for a teaching job and we do not want to be too far away from MI. Western PA sounds very nice. I am in the technology field and work as a .NET developer here in Kalamazoo, MI. Do you know if the city has a decent tech job market? I may be able to work remotely for my current employer if I move there but it is nice to know there are options.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwmu View Post
I am curious to know if there are teaching jobs available in Pittsburgh... mostly Elementary or Middle School jobs.
You'd be able to find a middle school position in the greater Pittsburgh metropolitian area job if you are certified in secondary education for math or science.

You'd be able to find a middle school position somewhere in Pennsylvania if you are certified in secondary education in almost any discipline.

It's extremely unlikely that you will find a position anywhere in Pennsylvania if you only have a degree in elementary education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwmu View Post
Also, if the situation is similar in Pittsburgh, does anyone know where teaching jobs are generally available yet not in the south?
If you are certified in secondary math and science, you can have your pick of jobs anywhere in the country.

You might be able to find a position for secondary english and social studies in the rural areas of Pennsylvania.

Otherwise, the south is where the education jobs are located because the classroom atmopshere and payscale are less than desirable.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
If you look in Colorado, be prepared for a similar situation to Mich and PA. Different reasons, same result.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJimmy View Post
I think they are always looking for teachers in the bad sections of the city which nobody wants. That would be a good challenge in my opinion. THen again, I really don't know what I am talking about with teaching jobs here.
Teaching jobs in the bad sections of the city are just as hard to find. This isn't NYC for goodness sake. Pittsburgh's schools are safe. The city pays teachers well enough that there is no problem finding teachers for even the most challenged city schools.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:14 PM

Sorry, Hopes. I didn't know that. I did mention though that I didn't know what I was talking about.

Why are teaching jobs so hard to come by, even in Colorado like Pittnurse said, when they have a booming population. Is it just that the competition is much harder? I noticed a lot and I mean a lot of people go for education in college.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Here in Colorado, it's because so many people are coming here, including a lot of teachers. There are jobs to be found, like everywhere, especially in math, science and special ed. Many teachers end up subbing. I do know someone who got a job teaching math in Pasedena, CA w/o a regular teaching degree. She has an engineering degree and is working on her teaching certificate.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:35 PM

My physics teacher in high school had a engineerings degree. I am not trying to put anybody down by this, just saying. Engineers get paid a lot more then teachers. I just wonder why they would choose the teaching career. Maybe it is the time off or something. I think teaching is a very rewarding profession though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh