Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 03:28 AM

103 posts, read 110,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Its true that the mindset here will be much different. You won't be able to replace that part of Vancouver. But why so timid? I mean, people I know have moved all over the globe despite having some very place centered hobbies and activities. Its an adventure. I think you have to come with the intention of trying to learn about the unique qualities of the area and without intending to reproduce what you had in Vancouver.
Oh I have every intention to get the best out Pittsburgh and surroundings. And I moved around a lot, so I am used to change. But out of all places I happened to love pacific northwest most and it is so hard to leave it now. This is why learning about good things in Pittsburgh helps, I have something to look forward to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 04:27 AM

73 posts, read 120,439 times
In the five years since I moved here from Portland, half of the people I've encountered who did the move as well ended up going back. Sometimes at great personal cost. I just wish everyone would be honest about that. Having said that, the other half like it better here than there. It's just kind of a crap shoot and I think you might want to seriously consider the move and your own willingness to let go of the Pacific Northwest.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,106,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minthotchocolate View Post
I've heard east coast is not like that at all. That worries me!
I haven't read the whole thread, so I may be repeating something already said. But just in case.... one thing you should know is Pittsburgh is not usually considered an east coast city. It's several hours from the coast, and has a much more low key vibe than NYC, Boston, or DC. (And even here in the DC metro area it's not uncommon for people to take a day off if the weather's nice.)

Old 05-20-2012, 04:56 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,040,990 times
I get the sense this is a done deal, and the OP is just looking for some help getting psyched up for the move, not looking for reasons to reconsider.

Of course it is true some people move here and it doesn't work out for one reason or another. But I also think a lot of people move here thinking it will be temporary, and end up falling in love with the place (if you really engage with the area in the ways you find personally compelling, it can be strangely addictive). In fact, I've encountered a decent number of people over time who were here for a while and then had to leave for one reason or another, and either that leaving was very reluctant, or they soon became very wistful about their time in Pittsburgh.

Again, as always, your experience could be anywhere on that spectrum. But if you are open to it, you might find yourself not just tolerating Pittsburgh, but actually loving it to a degree that right now seems implausible to you.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcastle View Post
Yep. It's also worth mentioning that many people call in sick when they're not so they can do spontaneous things or just to take a mental day. I call in sick about 6 days per year and am only sick for 3 of those days usually. The key thing is not to call in sick too often and to spread your "sick" days out.
My husband used to inform his boss that he would be sick on X date in advance.

Quote:
I am more concerned about other people judging me for even thinking about this.
I recommend keeping it to yourself. Pittsburghers hate hearing newcomers complain about how much better things were where they lived. It makes them feel you should just leave and move back if it was so great and you're so miserable.

I think people would feel that way in any city. If someone from NYC moved to Vancouver and complained about how great NYC was, how much they missed it, and all the things they could do in NYC that they couldn't do in Vancouver, Vancouverites would roll their eyes and wish the complainer would just move back to NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywithbraddock View Post
I hate to be a downer, but you might want to do a cost-benefit analysis about your move that factors in costs associated with you moving out here, realizing in a year you can't take it and moving back. Would it still be a great opportunity then? I hate to be pessimistic, but that only seems prudent. I moved out here from Portland willingly, am restoring the most amazing live/work space which would easily cost five million back in the NW and I still have days where I just feel stupid and foolish. Days when I think moving was the worst mistake I ever made. I can't imagine that if I had moved out here against my will that I'd still be here five years later. I know it's a great opportunity, but you need to be honest with yourself and your husband. The differences between the Pacific Northwest and Pittsburgh are very minor physically and very major mentally. With the right mindset, you'll find things here to treasure. But you need to say a proper goodbye to the Pacific Northwest. You won't find it here.
In all fairness, you moved to Braddock of all places. While I love the pioneer spirit of the people who have relocated with dreams of improving that terribly depressed, rundown, and vacant town, but I totally "get" why you sometimes feel stupid and foolish for falling for the Braddock public relations campaign with dreams of it becoming an artists colony.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:34 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,994,758 times
I moved here 10 years ago from the opposite direction - New England. It wasn't really by choice. The biz I was in was all but ruined by 9/11 and my wife was from this area. Needed to live somewhere. I was not happy.

In New England I was 3 hours from hiking and 4000 ft peaks, 50+ choices for skiing, many rafting/canoeing choices, an ocean for boating and so on. And food. Amazing food. Including a real Chinatown.

When I got here, my impression was, Steelers, Steelers, Steelers. My God, these people live, eat and breathe Steelers 24/7. And they're old. Half of them voted for Rick Santorum. And the food sucks.

It got better, although the first four years were touch-and-go. The city is getting younger and greener and quality of life has improved tenfold in the past decade, at least for what interests me.

I can't ski or hike peaks much anymore due to bad knees, but the skiing is more New England-ish than West - like strapping on a pair of 185cm ice skates. But if you're good at that, it's still fun. The Ohiopyle isn't bad for rafting or kayaking (even saved someone at Dimple Rock once) and the Cheat in WV isn't too far, with Gauley and New rivers a bit farther for more challenging water. Lots of places to go for wildnerness hiking (w/o severe elevation changes). Plenty of camping, fishing. Even the Blue Ridge Mountains aren't that far away.

Actually if you're coming from Vancouver, I'd be more concerned about the diversity of food options. There's not nearly as much good Asian here as in the PNW, salmon isn't big here and for the most part, good seafood options are limited although they exist. While a number of good restaurants have opened here in past 5 years, the culture is still very meat and potatoes.

However, there's a lot of the DIY culture around here - artisans of all sorts, microbrewers, distillers, small coffee roasters, etc. (there's even a shop that sells 49th Parallel!) and localvore stuff is in. Lots of diversity in culture and entertainment (an incredible amount, actually) for a city our size.

Pittsburgh is what you make of it. You'll have to give a little to get back. But it does grow on you. While I miss Boston and New York, I no longer think of moving back.

And with the money you'll save by living here vs Vancouver, you can fly to Paris and go skiing and biking in Chamonix :-)

Last edited by sskink; 05-20-2012 at 05:56 AM..

Old 05-20-2012, 05:35 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,269,356 times
Quote:
Hi all! I am moving to Pittsburgh from Vancouver, BC, and I am not very happy about the move... It is an excellent opportunity for my husband, and this is the only reason why I agreed to move. I've been to Pittsburgh once so far and even though I generally liked it, my heart is not in the right place. I love everything about Pacific Northwest, particularly our beautiful nature and numerous opportunities for outdoor sports. I hike, snowboard, bike, and climb weekly depending on the season, and do various other outdoor activities. It is so easily accessible in Vancouver, I am worried that I won't be able to continue this lifestyle in Pittsburgh... Is there anyone here who was in a similar situation? Please share your experience! I really need some positive input from you!
I have had a similar experience, wasn't Pittsburgh but it was SMYRNA MILLS MAINE, POPULATION 300. After having been raised in a city of 65,000 I was tossed into God's Country with the nearest grocery store, big grocery store 17 miles away and no 911 service, no American Cable TV at that time, a small school with perhaps 4 classrooms in it if that for our son, a volunteer fire department who had to pump their water for their trucks from the river, and lots of gossipy people who if they couldn't talk TRUTH behind your back could make up some pretty evil crap. The men smoked lots of dope and drank lots of beer and chased the women folk..it was miserable until I got use to it and became like all the rest of them. When my husband cheated on me and dumped me for a married woman who dumped her husband and kids to be with my ex, I ran like a scared rabbit right back for the city.

You will be fine in Pittsburgh. Live somewhere on the outskirts in the burbs and you will be able to enjoy a lot of the stuff you have had in Vancouver. There is no place on earth as pretty as Vancouver, BC..been there and it was amazing. Pennsylvania has a lot of history and wonderful folks...you will like it I am sure! Good Luck.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
[b][i][color=green]I have had a similar experience, wasn't Pittsburgh but it was SMYRNA MILLS MAINE, POPULATION 300.
I too can relate to the OP on some level. Mine was moving from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg. OMG, the restaurants closed after lunch! I was looking for somewhere to eat at 3pm and there was no food to be found. There were no public swimming pools, which made for a very miserable hot day. The news was all about state politics and farming. For entertainment, the locals attend high school sports games even if they don't have children. But I grew to love it. I went to every event anyone invited me to attend. Pig roasts. Picnics. High school basketball games. I even started playing pool, they really like their pool in Harrisburg.

When I moved back to Pittsburgh, I missed the slower pace of life. I missed the absence of traffic and being able to get anywhere in 10 minutes. I used to commute via bus prior to moving to Harrisburg, but Harrisburg ruined me and I haven't given up my car for commuting since I returned. Suprisingly, I also missed pool. I came in 3rd in a 9 ball tournament out of 50 people, all men except for me. Around here it's all dive bars, not on the same level as Harrisburg so I stopped playing. I missed attending Senators games, with the backfield filled with advertisements from local businesses. I could go on an on.

Most of all, I miss the people. I met the most amazing people who opened their lives to me and made me their instant friends. Very rural hometown feel. I really miss that. I would have missed out on an amazing experience and fantastic people if I hadn't allowed myself to embrace change.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:22 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,812,218 times
We are in the process of moving to Pittsburgh from NY. The benefits for us are

Great schools.
Super friendly people ; really, they are wonderful.
Food ; the food is excellent. Anyplace we ate served such great different food.
Hills ; there are plenty of them.
City of Pittsburgh ; while its not huge, it is a decent size and has lots of cool areas.
Close to lots of other areas ; a short drive to Canada, DC etc.

I have been to Vancouver and lived in Toronto also. Loved Vancouver.

But life will be what you make of it. Keep an open mind and look at is as an adventure and an education.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I get the sense this is a done deal, and the OP is just looking for some help getting psyched up for the move, not looking for reasons to reconsider.

Of course it is true some people move here and it doesn't work out for one reason or another. But I also think a lot of people move here thinking it will be temporary, and end up falling in love with the place (if you really engage with the area in the ways you find personally compelling, it can be strangely addictive). In fact, I've encountered a decent number of people over time who were here for a while and then had to leave for one reason or another, and either that leaving was very reluctant, or they soon became very wistful about their time in Pittsburgh.

Again, as always, your experience could be anywhere on that spectrum. But if you are open to it, you might find yourself not just tolerating Pittsburgh, but actually loving it to a degree that right now seems implausible to you.
Yes. That happens in pretty much every city. You move there thinking "a few years" and all of a suddent it's 5, then 10 years and you're still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My husband used to inform his boss that he would be sick on X date in advance.

That reminds me of a story my dad told once. He was a manager for US Steel. One year when the Pirates were doing well, he said there was a sign up that said "All requests for funeral leave, etc, should be made 24 hours in advance of the day of the game"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I too can relate to the OP on some level. Mine was moving from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg. OMG, the restaurants closed after lunch! I was looking for somewhere to eat at 3pm and there was no food to be found. There were no public swimming pools, which made for a very miserable hot day. The news was all about state politics and farming. For entertainment, the locals attend high school sports games even if they don't have children. But I grew to love it. I went to every event anyone invited me to attend. Pig roasts. Picnics. High school basketball games. I even started playing pool, they really like their pool in Harrisburg.

When I moved back to Pittsburgh, I missed the slower pace of life. I missed the absence of traffic and being able to get anywhere in 10 minutes. I used to commute via bus prior to moving to Harrisburg, but Harrisburg ruined me and I haven't given up my car for commuting since I returned. Suprisingly, I also missed pool. I came in 3rd in a 9 ball tournament out of 50 people, all men except for me. Around here it's all dive bars, not on the same level as Harrisburg so I stopped playing. I missed attending Senators games, with the backfield filled with advertisements from local businesses. I could go on an on.

Most of all, I miss the people. I met the most amazing people who opened their lives to me and made me their instant friends. Very rural hometown feel. I really miss that. I would have missed out on an amazing experience and fantastic people if I hadn't allowed myself to embrace change.
I think the bold is key. My former mother-in-law moved a lot with her husband for his job, and she said when they first moved somewhere she did everything she was asked to do in the volunteer area (schools, etc), so she could be known as "Jane Doe", not "Mrs. John Doe". Later on, she'd become more picky.

Interesting story about the pool tourney. Congrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh