Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 02:27 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times

Advertisements

Looking at the website for Riverview Park it looks like there's no good way to access it from the Brightwood side of the park. Is that correct? Or are there trail entrances on that side of the park somewhere that aren't on the map? It seems like a big missing link in the trail system for Snyder's Point and Pope View trails to be in accessible from the neighborhood they border. Do streets like Tiffany, Bollman, Hall, or Whitty actually have access to the park?

Map and Directions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 02:46 PM

15 posts, read 21,392 times
You can get there off of Woods Run Ave/Mairdale. That's the lower entrance to the park, with the higher entrance being through 19/Riverview Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Looking at the website for Riverview Park it looks like there's no good way to access it from the Brightwood side of the park. Is that correct? Or are there trail entrances on that side of the park somewhere that aren't on the map? It seems like a big missing link in the trail system for Snyder's Point and Pope View trails to be in accessible from the neighborhood they border. Do streets like Tiffany, Bollman, Hall, or Whitty actually have access to the park?

Map and Directions

Old 06-10-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdst11 View Post
You can get there off of Woods Run Ave/Mairdale. That's the lower entrance to the park, with the higher entrance being through 19/Riverview Ave.
Thanks for the response.

Riverview Park in general has been frustrating for me. It feels like every 5 minutes you have to cross a road and it isn't clear where you should go to continue the trail. The entrance you pointed out is still fairly far from most of Brightwood. Even from Woods Run Library on the northern border of the neighborhood it would be a mile long walk just to get to the entrance you pointed out.

I had been considering looking at some homes in that area, and I was considering the park to be a big plus. The benefit is basically negated if you have to walk a mile or two just to get to the entrance, though.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:21 PM

15 posts, read 21,392 times
I live in Brighton Heights, so when I think of that entrance in relationship to Marshall-Shadeland, I consider it in terms of driving, which seems close. You're right though, it is a good walk from certain parts of MS.

Access to the park from both Brighton Heights and MS was curtailed by the closure, and later demolition, of the Davis Ave Bridge. And I doubt that it will ever be rebuilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Thanks for the response.

Riverview Park in general has been frustrating for me. It feels like every 5 minutes you have to cross a road and it isn't clear where you should go to continue the trail. The entrance you pointed out is still fairly far from most of Brightwood. Even from Woods Run Library on the northern border of the neighborhood it would be a mile long walk just to get to the entrance you pointed out.

I had been considering looking at some homes in that area, and I was considering the park to be a big plus. The benefit is basically negated if you have to walk a mile or two just to get to the entrance, though.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
Although the Woods Run Corridor is somewhat further out then the rest of the neighborhood it's still the closest to the park.
I'd say it's also one of the best kept areas of MS if you were considering moving there...

Old 06-11-2012, 06:55 AM

461 posts, read 748,769 times
Indeed, the entrance to the park from Brightwood is from Woods Run/Mairdale. However, if you go towards the river on Woods Run Ave you run into the North Shore trail AND the kayak launch!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:20 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
You can also get to the park by traveling to the end of Grand Avenue. Take right off of Woods Run just past library onto Central Avenue. that runs to Grand. Turn left on Grand and it's about 1 mile to park. You'll see a large salt depot dome and a newly renovated grove at the end of the road. you are now in Riverview Park. I should add that after the homes it is quite wooded for a few hundred yards, don't worry you're headed in right direction.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Although the Woods Run Corridor is somewhat further out then the rest of the neighborhood it's still the closest to the park.
I'd say it's also one of the best kept areas of MS if you were considering moving there...
I was able to make my way up there today, and I have to say I had the complete opposite impression. The homes on Brighton by Oliver HS, Ingham Street, and even Woodland Ave all seem a level or two above the Woods Run area to me. I walked around Woods Run east of Brighton, Mitchell, and Hall Street. It reminded me of Hazelwood's level of decay, not exactly abandoned, but certainly not well kept either. Though I would say there are fewer sketchy characters than in Hazelwood.

I actually found a trail into the woods at the end of Hall Street. I could only go about 100 yards before it became overgrown and blocked by fallen trees. There were "No Hunting" signs, but no "No Trespassing" signs, so I assume it's an abandoned trail into Riverview Park that is no longer kept up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
Indeed, the entrance to the park from Brightwood is from Woods Run/Mairdale. However, if you go towards the river on Woods Run Ave you run into the North Shore trail AND the kayak launch!
I tested this out today, too. I was wondering how big of a perk it would be to be near the trail and the kayak launch. It's a bit longer of a distance than I was expecting from Brighton and Woods Run, and it seemed equally run down. Capping the trip off with a State Prison isn't exactly a high point, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
You can also get to the park by traveling to the end of Grand Avenue. Take right off of Woods Run just past library onto Central Avenue. that runs to Grand. Turn left on Grand and it's about 1 mile to park. You'll see a large salt depot dome and a newly renovated grove at the end of the road. you are now in Riverview Park. I should add that after the homes it is quite wooded for a few hundred yards, don't worry you're headed in right direction.
Thanks, I did notice that one on the official park map. Hopefully that's a better entrance than the one on Mairdale, which is uphill without a sidewalk or shoulder to walk on.

All in all I think MS/Brightwood is an area I will keep in mind, but for me, it would only be worth it if I found something very nice, or very cheap/profitable.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:02 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
[quote]I was able to make my way up there today, and I have to say I had the complete opposite impression. The homes on Brighton by Oliver HS, Ingham Street, and even Woodland Ave all seem a level or two above the Woods Run area to me. I walked around Woods Run east of Brighton, Mitchell, and Hall Street. It reminded me of Hazelwood's level of decay, not exactly abandoned, but certainly not well kept either. Though I would say there are fewer sketchy characters than in Hazelwood.[quote]

I see what you mean... The Woods Run Corridor has a very present blighted yinzer vibe (visual), but trust me MS from Ingram to Woodland has criminal activity that's closer to Hazelwood's than the Woods Run Corridor currently does. New Hampshire Drive & the streets it intersects with (even closer to Oliver) are the nicest IMO.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:17 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
"Thanks, I did notice that one on the official park map. Hopefully that's a better entrance than the one on Mairdale, which is uphill without a sidewalk or shoulder to walk on."

Well, it's all uphill for sure, but it's a gradual slope on a closed (formerly a street called Kilbuck) paved path that is easy to negotiate. I remember when they briefly reopened Kilbuck back in late 80's to vehicle traffic, but the landslide problem kept rearing its ugly head and they again closed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh