Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:04 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrun1126 View Post
Not saying I disagree with the historical building demolition problem in Pgh, but were the homes alongside 28 really that much different from Troy Hill/Spring Garden? Up there the homes are cared for, whereas most of the buildings along 28 seemed beyond dilapidated.
Most people lump the houses of Spring Garden and Troy Hill into the same category, but the houses in Spring Garden are generally much older than the houses in Troy Hill. Troy Hill and other hilltop neighborhoods were generally built up later than low-lying areas. There were some houses along Route 28 which were much older than even the houses in Spring Garden. Sadly, most of the oldest housing in the city was destroyed during the urban renewal decades of the 1950s and 1960s. A lot of what remained has been destroyed since then, some even recently, as in the case of the houses along Route 28 (not all of those houses were that old, though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Goodness with the idiots just let this building go already? What a bunch of dopes. There is no use for it and it is in a terrible location. Just take it down and do it today!

Pittsburgh to fight St. Nicholas court ruling - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Goodness with the idiots just let this building go already? What a bunch of dopes. There is no use for it and it is in a terrible location. Just take it down and do it today!

Pittsburgh to fight St. Nicholas court ruling - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
I can't believe the part of the article saying that it would be good for economic development in the region to keep the building there. It's an estimated $7 million to renovate this building. It would have to bring in $30k a month to be a net positive in the business sense, possibly more, without serious grant money.

Won't this building have severe access issues after road construction is complete, as well? Possibly pedestrian access only? How do they intend to have occupancy permits that accomodate people with mobility issues?

I understand the desire to preserve this building. It is a piece of history for one local community. However, the preservation side needs to plead a more reasonable case in that they want to preserve for the sake of preservation. This economic development stuff is just BS.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
We're not talking about the Civic Arena Curtis.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 AM

110 posts, read 152,931 times
I drive past it every day. I'm sure at one time it was great, now its just in the way. I for one, want I'll the room on 28 I can get! At this point it looks moldy and rat infested.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:52 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy53 View Post
I drive past it every day. I'm sure at one time it was great, now its just in the way. I for one, want I'll the room on 28 I can get! At this point it looks moldy and rat infested.
the whole area would look a lot nicer without that uggly ass expressway.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:45 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the whole area would look a lot nicer without that uggly ass expressway.
PennDOT is trying to make it a pretty-ass expressway, but there's some stuff in the way.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:08 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
PennDOT is trying to make it a pretty-ass expressway, but there's some stuff in the way.
There's no such thing as a "pretty" expressway....It's concrete and asphalt. The scenery and buildings around it were once pretty, though.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:13 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
There's no such thing as a "pretty" expressway.
OK, you're right; infrastructure can be "awesome" instead.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
There's no such thing as a "pretty" expressway....It's concrete and asphalt. The scenery and buildings around it were once pretty, though.
Beauty is perception of course. I love most of pittsburghs old gritty character but this was one area that made me want to bathe the first time I came to the city. I do miss the old monument/concrete place though..use to sit stuck on 28 each evening and watch the owner head upstairs to his living quarters at the end of the day. Can't help but wonder about him now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh