Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 AM

632 posts, read 1,072,510 times

Advertisements

Driving on Reed Street between Kirkpatrick/Centre yesterday evening between 8/8:30pm. Granted, not the nicest area in Pittsburgh, but its not exactly a war zone.

Slow rolling up to the red light, windows down, and a bunch of kids run down the sidewalk and pelt my car with stones/rocks, then run into the backyards of some of the houses right on Reed Street. The kids were maybe 6-10 years old.

I didnt want to go give chase and leave my car running/open for theft, or walk into something else...so I just sucked it up and drove away.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is this a really bad part of town, and I just don't realize it when driving through there? I've ran through this area several times and never felt threatened.

Also - worth it at all to file a police report? Honestly its a PITA to go to a station and get checked out and everything, all for nothing likely. I'm not exactly worried about the dents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 AM

14,192 posts, read 22,796,990 times
I'd notify the police simply so they can keep an eye on the area a little closer; and if they catch any kids throwing rocks at cars in the future, then they can be punished accordingly.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,693,727 times
Reed Street, in particular, I generally avoid. It just feels too isolated for me. Where are you going when driving on Reed? There are likely some better routes through the Hill District, including the main thoroughfares, Centre, Wylie, and Webster.

I guess I would perhaps file a police report if I was intending to make an insurance claim. Otherwise, probably not.

A friend who lives not far from where you were, up off of Webster Avenue, had a problem with kids throwing stones at his porch. They were young kids, and I think he was able to amicably convince them that throwing rocks was a bad idea.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 AM

632 posts, read 1,072,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Reed Street, in particular, I generally avoid. It just feels too isolated for me. Where are you going when driving on Reed? There are likely some better routes through the Hill District, including the main thoroughfares, Centre, Wylie, and Webster.

I guess I would perhaps file a police report if I was intending to make an insurance claim. Otherwise, probably not.

A friend who lives not far from where you were, up off of Webster Avenue, had a problem with kids throwing stones at his porch. They were young kids, and I think he was able to amicably convince them that throwing rocks was a bad idea.
Reed is a nice cut through when I'm going from Southside up to Shadyside. Birmingham Bridge, Kirkpatrick, then cut through Reed to get to Centre without hitting those red lights.

I'm not intending to make a claim...just wondering if it would make a difference anyway. I always see cops sitting up in the parking lot by the football field there, so doubtful they would do much more than that since they're right at the corner anyway.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
Reed is a nice cut through when I'm going from Southside up to Shadyside. Birmingham Bridge, Kirkpatrick, then cut through Reed to get to Centre without hitting those red lights.

I'm not intending to make a claim...just wondering if it would make a difference anyway. I always see cops sitting up in the parking lot by the football field there, so doubtful they would do much more than that since they're right at the corner anyway.
Ah, my bad. I was thinking about this part of Reed: Street View. I wouldn't worry about that part you're talking about. Obviously there are other ways to get from Southside to Shadyside, but that does look like a pretty nice route.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,062,102 times
Random anecdote: in the front yard of the house I grew up in there was a cluster of pine trees that were big and dense enough to create a sort of hiding place in the middle. On several occasions to amuse ourselves, we would hide in there and then pop out and throw pine cones at passing cars. This was all in a middle-class, perfectly nice suburb of Detroit.

This isn't meant to excuse the behavior of these kids, nor to discourage you from at least telling the police about it, but I do think it is the kind of thing that can happen anywhere.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Random anecdote: in the front yard of the house I grew up in there was a cluster of pine trees that were big and dense enough to create a sort of hiding place in the middle. On several occasions to amuse ourselves, we would hide in there and then pop out and throw pine cones at passing cars. This was all in a middle-class, perfectly nice suburb of Detroit.

This isn't meant to excuse the behavior of these kids, nor to discourage you from at least telling the police about it, but I do think it is the kind of thing that can happen anywhere.
I always pictured you as a pine cone thrower!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,583,936 times
You should have stopped at Reed St Coffee.

I agree that's the best shortcut driving from Shadyside to southside.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,198,356 times
Even in the best neighborhoods, kids do stupid stuff. I remember when we were kids in Fox Chapel. We threw snowballs at passing vehicles. It never occurred to us that it could cause damage to their cars. One guy got out and gave chase once. He didn't catch anyone, but that pretty much put a stop to our age group throwing snow balls. It wasn't until I became a car owner myself did I realize the financial damage we could have caused.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 AM

556 posts, read 1,229,459 times
Stop signs are optional when I'm on Reed St. I would have wound up in jail had that happened to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh