Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 AM

733 posts, read 987,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Try driving more than 1 mile and not hit a traffic light.
The only times I've gone through the South Hills have been on weekends, and I always wonder if I pick the most unlucky times or something because the traffic is totally nuts every single time. In fact, pretty much every time I hit it I think, "Oh yeah, that's right. This is what happens." Then I wish that I had decided to go somewhere else and start moaning to my girlfriend about how I hate driving and "This is why I should stay in town and ride my bike, etc." haha.

It can't be that bad all the time, though. I'm sure that I just have to have really bad luck in that area.

I drive around the North Hills much more now that I live in the northern part of the city. The traffic there usually isn't too bad. It rarely brings out the hate monster in me, hahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 01:12 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
I don't see much of a difference between North and South Hills. North is newer and more spread-out while South has more traditional neighborhoods that are more connected to each other. I guess Ross Park Mall is a little more upscale that SHV, and I think grocery-for-grocery, they are each served well.

But it does seem that every time I have to venture to the South Hills, I get stuck in traffic because there are no expressways. We went to South Park for recycling a couple weeks ago and sat on Rt. 88 for a half hour. We should have packed a lunch.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:23 PM

39 posts, read 35,896 times
Obviously I prefer the NH to the South for alot of the reasons mentioned; sure i was content in the SH while i lived there for two years, but in my opinion, too many cliques and i just didnt feel it was a good fit like the NH is; all in all...from where i originally came from where the town consisted of one road into and out of town with only two groceries to choose from and a rundown mall, Im just happy to be in the burgh!!!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
I've never considered the North Hills dead. I personally prefer the North Hills because I think the stores and homes are nicer, the infrastructure is better, and the traffic is much easier to deal with. Compared to the rest of Pittsburgh, the South Hills has some serious traffic issues on Rts 51 and 88.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:03 AM

19 posts, read 31,285 times
It seems as I've sparked a variety of viewpoints, and I am in the minority here preferring south over north. I recognize from an earlier post the preference is entirely subjective. Ive always fancied a condensed urban/suburban hybrid style area, which is what the core of the south hills (dormant down thru mt leb into usc) tends to be. I also fancy a place with easy public transit, and pedestrian access as well which south hills has in abundance from my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Didn't they just revamp Ross Park Mall to make it more upscale? That was just a few years ago.
I hate that! I can't walk in that place without getting a wedgie any more due to all the high end pretentious snobbery going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
The North Hills has way more new development going on currently, mainly because there is so much green space still available to build on. Have you been up the McKnight road corridor towards Wexford recently? A huge new development is being build right off the road in multiple phases. And there is Whole foods and Giant Eagle market district nearby. All of the new money is in the Northern suburbs.
Yeah, I've seen that new development. its extremely poor in its layout and you can't negotiate most of it without a car. The biggest part of it is spread out the huge almost half a mile or more of green space on the western side of mcknight. Why do this? Why not build a smaller, but more condensed development. As a great example google either crocker park or legacy village. They are in Cleveland and frankly are a much more pleasant style development.

Oh and the newer the money the less couth they tend to possess. Besides the fact that mcknight is the epitome of urban sprawl, the whole area is a public transit void and extremely pedestrian unfriendly. What makes mcknight even worse is the fact that the heathen like residents of certain parts*** of the north side like to spread up mcknight to spend money, lovely classless people they are.

*** extra emphasis because I used to live in the mexican war streets and I can attest that only certain parts of the north side contain heathens. There is plenty that are only partially heathen occupied, and parts that are heathen free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
Don't you worry, the South Hills has their cheapy grocery stores - we have several Bottom Dollars.

The South Hills is spread out over a much wider area than the North Hills. Not everything is super close by, depending on where you live.

And I would happily exchange my South Hills retail for the North Hills commute!

Grass is always greener!
Depending on where you are commuting to - downtown and oakland come to mind - the commute via public transit may make up for this. The t provides such easy access to the central core, and the south busway provides seemingly excellent access to the southeast (51/88). I do make these statements in a presumptuous way; however, as I haven't lived in the south hills to have a true grasp. I have rode the t south several times and it was excellent, no experience with the busway though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
If we're talking specifically about TJs/FM, I'd suggest there's more far demand for high-end "crunchy" stuff in the So. Hills. Different demographic/psychographic.
You are awesome, what a trip!

Old 10-06-2012, 06:23 AM

377 posts, read 652,244 times
Uh the North Hills is not dead in any way. How much more retail could you possibly want on McKnight Road? Ross Park Mall has a lot of nice stores that you can't go to anywhere else in this region. Yes there is a Bottom Dollar but there is also Whole Foods in Wexford and Giant Eagle Market District. Not to mention on Mcknight there is also a Giant Eagle, Aldi's, and Kuhns.

It seems to me that you aren't really complaining about lack of development. You keep trying to insinuate that the people of South Hills are more upscale than the North Hills? I don't really think that makes sense either as both areas pretty big with separate towns. Ross is the not most upscale part of the N. Hills but it compares to Bethel Park. I would say West View and Dormont would be comparable. The South Hills has Mt. Lebo and USC. The North Hills has Wexford/Pine.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own preferences however I wouldn't try to base it off of no development in North Hills because that is really inaccurate.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
Uh the North Hills is not dead in any way. How much more retail could you possibly want on McKnight Road? Ross Park Mall has a lot of nice stores that you can't go to anywhere else in this region. Yes there is a Bottom Dollar but there is also Whole Foods in Wexford and Giant Eagle Market District. Not to mention on Mcknight there is also a Giant Eagle, Aldi's, and Kuhns.

It seems to me that you aren't really complaining about lack of development. You keep trying to insinuate that the people of South Hills are more upscale than the North Hills? I don't really think that makes sense either as both areas pretty big with separate towns. Ross is the not most upscale part of the N. Hills but it compares to Bethel Park. I would say West View and Dormont would be comparable. The South Hills has Mt. Lebo and USC. The North Hills has Wexford/Pine.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own preferences however I wouldn't try to base it off of no development in North Hills because that is really inaccurate.
I appologize for my lack of clarity in my last post, or the post before that. I came to the realization its not the type or style of development that i find distasteful, its the logistics of it all. Its the pedestrian unfriendly car oriented design of the whole area.

And I think I was insinuating quite the opposite about south hills over north hills. Im not insinuating that the south hills are more upscale, I'm insinuating that the whole area is more down to earth and well rounded. If you notice I have nothing but contempt for ross park mall as it is entirely too pretentious and filled with stores average people can barely/can't afford. Yes we have whole foods up here, and finally a market district. Those are excellent assets, and should be recognized as such.

In closing I do apologize as it was never my intention to create such an inflammatory reaction. I will attempt to better phrase and frame my statements in the future. I wasn't trying to come off as whiny or complaining it was intended as more of a question. I wanted to start a discussion that moved more towards quality of life for north hills over south hills, and it seems to have gone not quite to plan. Thanks for your input everybody.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Only some areas of the South Hills are pedestrian friendly. There are a lot of Ross Township type suburbs in the South Hills too. And the businesses you metioned, grocery stores and movie theaters, aren't in walkable areas either. You're not happy in Ross. I get that. But don't blame it on the entire North Hills. North Hills has pedestrian friendly areas too.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:22 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrouzzo View Post
I appologize for my lack of clarity in my last post, or the post before that. I came to the realization its not the type or style of development that i find distasteful, its the logistics of it all. Its the pedestrian unfriendly car oriented design of the whole area.

And I think I was insinuating quite the opposite about south hills over north hills. Im not insinuating that the south hills are more upscale, I'm insinuating that the whole area is more down to earth and well rounded. If you notice I have nothing but contempt for ross park mall as it is entirely too pretentious and filled with stores average people can barely/can't afford. Yes we have whole foods up here, and finally a market district. Those are excellent assets, and should be recognized as such.

In closing I do apologize as it was never my intention to create such an inflammatory reaction. I will attempt to better phrase and frame my statements in the future. I wasn't trying to come off as whiny or complaining it was intended as more of a question. I wanted to start a discussion that moved more towards quality of life for north hills over south hills, and it seems to have gone not quite to plan. Thanks for your input everybody.
Well -- there's no way to ask this without sounding snarky, but it's totally not meant in a snarky way. Why don't you move back to the South Hills?

I'm a firm believer in "bloom where you are planted", but sometimes transplanting is the ticket. And life is way too sweet and way too short to not be happy where you are.

Although I'll never understand the whole anti car sentiment I see on various boards -- to paraphrase Charleton Heston, you can have my car when you can pry my keys from my cold dead hand.

But my lifestyle isn't normal. I work close to home and from home. I don't shop ( I actually consider looking at catalogs shopping) and I quilt, and you can't buy fabric online easily. Colors matter.... and I just want to TOUCH the fabric. And I love to day trip to fabric stores -- hubby goes for thrift stores.

Most of where we go is not public transit friendly... and sorry -- public transit is just AWFUL, at least here. I've tried it at various times and it often way more than doubled my commute time, and in one case took 5 times longer than driving. And driving, given ALL the factors is cheaper -- for us.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Well -- there's no way to ask this without sounding snarky, but it's totally not meant in a snarky way. Why don't you move back to the South Hills?

I'm a firm believer in "bloom where you are planted", but sometimes transplanting is the ticket. And life is way too sweet and way too short to not be happy where you are.
Its ok, I like snark.

Ive actually never lived in south hills, I've just been there visiting, and liked it a lot. I am in the process of finding a place in the heart of uptown mt leb right now. I don't know why but i just fell in love with the whole vibe and feel of the place. I realize now the problems not the north hills, its me. Its just not my type of place, except sewickley. I love that town but its just too rich for my blood.

Also, I like that statement, I just need transplanted into a different pot like you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh