Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 08:49 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
A very good friend of mine closed his local tavern about 3 months ago. We exchanged stories about a month before the final rounds were served, and he explained that owning a small bar/restaurant was a losing proposition for just about anyone; he predicted many closures soon. He told me that the Onorato tax played a very small part upon his bottom line, but it, combined with the multitude of regulations were killing his business. The biggest drop of all occurred with the law that would not allow smoking in his bar- patrons had to take it outside... it virtually halved his liquor sales volume. The ability to purchase six packs at establishments other than bars also hurt. Rumors of local police observing patrons leaving his bar (for possible DUI pullovers) may have taken a toll, as well. The paperwork required by the government was extensive, time consuming, and made it expensive to be compliant on all levels. Without admitting to anything, he said that legalized gambling also hurt.

It may appear to be simple to blame a tax for the disappearance of the local bar, but the issues are far deeper than the drink tax itself.
Very good points made here. Bars come and go and I think the DUI and the smoking laws have taken a bigger toll than anything else. The idea that someone will drink at home to save 15 cents a drink is rediculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 09:15 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Very good points made here. Bars come and go and I think the DUI and the smoking laws have taken a bigger toll than anything else. The idea that someone will drink at home to save 15 cents a drink is rediculous.
Bars come and go? Lots of these bars have been around for generations. Taxing an industry that is as tough as that one was wrong and jobs indeed are lost due to that taxation that went after one industry. What did that taxation do for PAT? That is what that idiot Onorato told everyone. This 10% tax on one industry will fix up PAT.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:45 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Do you just keep repeating your original post with the words in a different order or what?

Old 11-03-2012, 10:28 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Do you just keep repeating your original post with the words in a different order or what?
Well, who's the bigger fool, the person who can't be swayed by either logic or facts or what the article they're citing actually said, or the people who keep trying to refute him using logic and facts? I keep thinking I should know better, but I always get sucked in like an idiot.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:30 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Bars come and go? Lots of these bars have been around for generations. Taxing an industry that is as tough as that one was wrong and jobs indeed are lost due to that taxation that went after one industry. What did that taxation do for PAT? That is what that idiot Onorato told everyone. This 10% tax on one industry will fix up PAT.
Apparently you weren`t paying attention when this nickel and dime tax was passed. Nobody ever said that this tax would cure PAT`s problems. Anything to support your claim that bars that have been around for generations folded because of this tax? I didn`t think so.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:30 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,378 times
the sky is falling! the sky is falling!

Old 11-03-2012, 03:28 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
My favorite dive bar raised their price for 1.25 to 1.35. I got so ticked off I only drink 6 at a time there now. There are more pressing concerns for bar owners than the drink tax.

But I do agree, why Onorato picked beer to tax is beyond me. Shoulda picked McDonalds.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
A very good friend of mine closed his local tavern about 3 months ago. We exchanged stories about a month before the final rounds were served, and he explained that owning a small bar/restaurant was a losing proposition for just about anyone; he predicted many closures soon. He told me that the Onorato tax played a very small part upon his bottom line, but it, combined with the multitude of regulations were killing his business. The biggest drop of all occurred with the law that would not allow smoking in his bar- patrons had to take it outside... it virtually halved his liquor sales volume. The ability to purchase six packs at establishments other than bars also hurt. Rumors of local police observing patrons leaving his bar (for possible DUI pullovers) may have taken a toll, as well. The paperwork required by the government was extensive, time consuming, and made it expensive to be compliant on all levels. Without admitting to anything, he said that legalized gambling also hurt.

It may appear to be simple to blame a tax for the disappearance of the local bar, but the issues are far deeper than the drink tax itself.
Good points. I imagine the former monopoly on selling six-packs kept a few establishments above water that would've been long-closed in another state. Also, bars in less affluent areas have generally been affected more adversely by smoking bans regardless of state.

If I remember correctly, the drink tax wasn't really Onorato's choice. He'd already pledged not to raise property taxes and instead wanted to use part of the County 1% sales tax to fund the transportation costs of Act 44. Harrisburg wouldn't let him as it wanted a dedicated stream of revenue, thus a drink/rental car tax. He then proposed legalizing poker machines in bars and taxing those, but Harrisburg said no again. Certainly the drink tax is a contentious issue, but taxes were going up somewhere, somehow and when push comes to shove, it's usually a 'sin' tax that receives the least grief. And it never stopped me from ordering a drink.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:14 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,375 times
Tax cannabis instead.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Tax cannabis instead.
I first read that as "cannibals". Possibly because I'm in a bar supporting the Port Authority as best I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh