Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 12:01 PM

266 posts, read 402,860 times

Advertisements

It's really nothing more than a freak accident. If it can be attributed to the baby's mother's negligence (for lack of a better word), every parent makes mistakes and it's a shame that hers is irreversible. I'm sure she was just trying to take the child to have a fun day at the zoo before the snow comes. She will have to live with this for the rest of her life, and the memory of seeing it happen before her eyes. No greater "punishment" for an oversight.

I agree as well that it is not the dogs' fault and this raises another whole issue.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:02 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,830 times
New article. The little boy survived the fall, tragically.

Dr. Baker said the boy fell from an observation area and was small enough that he bounced twice on protective netting before falling into the exhibit. An Allegheny County medical examiner's review found that the boy was not fatally injured in the fall, Dr. Baker said.

Read more: African painted dogs that mauled child at Pittsburgh zoo will not be euthanized, CEO says - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Just hope the zoo doesn't have to shut down after being sued to death by this.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Yes, clearly the zoo is at fault
I said that there should have been another barrier in place. Most of the zoos I've been to have such precautions when dealing with predators.

And does it really even matter who is "at fault"? A child has been mauled to death on what should have been a fun trip to the zoo. Frankly, whether it's the mother, the zoo, or the phantom menace, a child is dead.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:08 PM

266 posts, read 402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Just hope the zoo doesn't have to shut down after being sued to death by this.
There was a safety net type thing surrounding the observation deck, so precautions were taken. Some times things just happen regardless of trying to prevent them. I know that's not the way lawsuits work, but that only seems logical to me.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
New article. The little boy survived the fall, tragically.
Damn. I was just talking with someone else earlier and we were hoping somehow the fall would have at least knocked him unconscious. (I didn't think the fall would be high enough to be fatal.) It doesn't seem like this would be the case with the netting though.....

Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
It's really nothing more than a freak accident. If it can be attributed to the baby's mother's negligence (for lack of a better word), every parent makes mistakes and it's a shame that hers is irreversible. I'm sure she was just trying to take the child to have a fun day at the zoo before the snow comes. She will have to live with this for the rest of her life, and the memory of seeing it happen before her eyes. No greater "punishment" for an oversight.

I agree as well that it is not the dogs' fault and this raises another whole issue.
I'm a parent and agree that we do make mistakes.
Some recent mistakes in our home- Dad putting a tuna fish sandwich in our daughters lunch rather than a PB& J.
Sending our dear daughter to school with crazy socks and tie on the wrong date.
Not reapplying sunscreen at the lake in a timely manner.

Mistakes don't result in permanent loss of life. imo

I'm still not ready to feel compassion for this 34 damn year old woman who STOOD her 2 year old on a rail over a wild dog pen.... and dropped him to be bitten to death.

What if he were on a field trip with his daycare and one of the employees dropped him to his death? Would you still feel all the compassion you do? Or would you be extremely angry at the level of stupidity that resulted in the death of a 2 year old?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
statistically, taking your child with you in a car (never mind making the dozens of little and sometimes bigger mistakes everyone makes every day while driving) is way, WAY more dangerous than holding your kid up to see a zoo exhibit. but people do that every single day, and when something bad happens they're not jumped on and denied sympathy because they subjected their child to something as dangerous as riding in a car.

another really dangerous mistake: having a swimming pool, lake or river near your house. another one, a biggie: letting your kid be around adults who are related or close to the family. i'd say those are the top 3 when it comes to serious injury and death in children caused by trauma and not illness. i have worked in a job for a few years now where i see what the kids of pittsburgh are being harmed by, and except for this one single case it's not zoo animals.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
To kill the wild dogs for doing what wild dogs do makes no sense. That is like wanting to kill a lion because they eat meat. What I don't understand is how the mother lost control of the child?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Nobody who uses the words "alpha male" about themselves is one. Nobody who thinks you can watch a 2-year old and always keep your wits about you has spent a whole day caring for one.

Listen to Jack Hanna from the Columbus Zoo on KDKA, a Rambo type would have been dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh