Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Hasn't been like that in a couple years in the city. They take it out per pay. We get paid biweekly, for example, so it's $2 per pay.
Thanks. I hadn't noticed they fixed that so quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,737 times
at 29 100k is not exactly unheard of..pharmacists used to get out of school at 21 making 120+k with a 50k sign on bonus..now the market in pittsburgh(and most places) for pharmacists is saturated, but you won't find any full timers not making 6 figures and most are still a good bit above that. Out of towners are coming in driving down the salaries though, all the school that are popping up, another 10 years it will be down to 60k because these kids have to pay off their loans.
I'm just surprised you found a pharmacist job anywhere near the city, with all of medco's 150 or so pharmacists looking for jobs. Hold onto it!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
What do you do at 29 to make that kind of money?
Law, Finance, Medecine are the big three that come to mind that should put you in that category well before you reach 29

Old 12-07-2012, 04:31 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Note with law it is more that it COULD put you into that category, but there are lots of lawyers who are paid less. In fact legal salaries are notoriously bimodal, with the lower mode well under $100K (things likely improve over time for some of those lawyers, but it is difficult to advance from a $40-50K job to a $100K+ job in a few years by staying in place, so you would have to make the difficult move to a higher-paying career path):

NALP - The Association for Legal Career Professionals | Salary Distribution Curve

Incidentally, I think people often overlook non-MD health professions as a route to secure upper-middle-class careers. My brother is a dentist, and he makes very good money.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Note with law it is more that it COULD put you into that category, but there are lots of lawyers who are paid less.
Yea, I actually meant up to write 'could', the glut of lawyers has really driven down the pay in the field, though if you did the straight HS to undergrad to law school route & got hired by a half decent firm out of school & performed half decently there you should be cracking the 100K mark by 29. (Likewise the biglaw firms will be paying you well above this your first year).
That's a lot of ifs though that you need to check off.

The 'could' applies to all three of those fields though probably a bit more so with law as its difficult to find any job period for current grads.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
There are many surprising careers that can earn over 100k.

Nuclear Power Reactor Operator
Director of Security
Licensed Massage Therapist
Elevator Technician
Court Reporter

$100K Jobs That Don

Executive Pastery Chef
Master Plumber
Radiation Therapist
Intensive Care Nurse
Sheet Metal Worker

$100K Jobs with a Two-Year Degree | Monster

Gaming Managers
Home Economics Instructors
Art Director
Makeup Artists
Writers
Captains
Multimedia Artists
Human Resource Managers
Loan Officers
Database Administrators

America's Most Surprising Six-Figure Jobs - Forbes

People I know personally include executive assistant, many people in sales, tow truck fleet owner. I could go on and on.

Many jobs that don't require a higher degree pay well. Some require even less than a 4 year degree.

Funny how people are snobby about what others do for a living. There are many "lowly" people who are laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There are many surprising careers that can earn over 100k.
I agree there are many paths to making a good salary, though I think the question that popped up here was more towards the salary + the relatively young age, not merely jobs that wil pay <100k at some point in one's career.

Not sure whether its a good thing (signal of affordable living) that people see 100K as a really high salary here bad (signal depressed wages).

Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Not sure whether its a good thing (signal of affordable living) that people see 100K as a really high salary here bad (signal depressed wages).
I don't think people think it's bad.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't think people think it's bad.
I agree, it just irks me when I see some firms really slash what they pay their pittsburgh employees compared to other cities because we have 'such a low cost of living'. (Not saying its not lower, though nowhere near the extent most of these places dock the pay)

Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I agree, it just irks me when I see some firms really slash what they pay their pittsburgh employees compared to other cities because we have 'such a low cost of living'. (Not saying its not lower, though nowhere near the extent most of these places dock the pay)
I know many people whose companies transferred them from Pittsburgh to a higher cost of living area, along with significant salary increases, but they struggled financially and their quality of life suffered. Low cost of living makes a huge difference in quality of life. I think it's a shame that people think the higher salaries in high cost of living areas are more desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh