Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:48 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

We've only been once. I agree it was on the spicey side, but personally I enjoyed it (as did the kids), so we plan to go again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 02:49 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I've been there twice. While I understand they're trying to do something a little different -- better ingredients than your typical tacoteria, for one thing -- I'm not going back a third time.

The food is all so hot. I don't think it's me. I still like my shrimp and scallops super hot at China Palace. At Verde, the heat just makes all the food taste the same. It's a shame. I really wanted to like the place, if for no other reason than that it's so close by.
I liked Verde, but I also wouldn't describe it as "traditional" or family-friendly in the usual sense. I also remember it being expensive, comparatively speaking.

As for hot food, the more the merrier it is for me.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:53 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I liked Verde, but I also wouldn't describe it as "traditional" or family-friendly in the usual sense.
Definitely not in the usual sense, but we went there when it wasn't crowded and they were very nice and accommodating with the kids.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Patron is very popular in Wexford, but I haven't been. I think Verde, Mad Mex and Patron are all rather different things. People looking for one really wouldn't be looking for the other.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 AM
CFP

475 posts, read 624,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I noted in the article that Shadow Lounge will be leaving and will be looking to purchase a building so to not be subject to increases in rent.
I doubt this is a rent issue:

Vanilla Pastry Studio Leaving East Liberty for Regent Square

Vanilla Pastry Studio Leaving East Liberty for Regent Square - Forest Hills-Regent Square, PA Patch

More like a nonexistent foot traffic and parking issue. Just a little dose of reality for you guys.

And there's this:

"@deeplocal was robbed last night. Love you east liberty but it's definitely time to move."

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Patron is very popular in Wexford, but I haven't been. I think Verde, Mad Mex and Patron are all rather different things. People looking for one really wouldn't be looking for the other.
Oh right, because most people are Mexican food experts and frequent authentic and inauthentic Mexican restaurants. Get real, people.

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2012 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: 2 posts merged

Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
Oh right, because most people are Mexican food experts and frequent authentic and inauthentic Mexican restaurants. Get real, people.
Actually, I do fit that description. Coming from CA and having traveled extensively in Mexico and Central America I prefer authentic cuisine whenever possible. I'd like to find authentic Mexican and Central American cuisine in Pittsburgh. I also had friends from Peru who introduced me to their cuisine so Peruvian is on my list too.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
LOL Get real? Get over yourself. If you don't think people can understand the difference between those three places then it just demonstrates your inability to see clearly. It doesn't take being an "expert".

The point is there's a possible market for all three easily enough because they have differentiation even if you could put them all into a Mexican-inspired category. Change it to Five Guys, Tessaro's and BRGR. All burgers right? But on a given night when you're thinking of going to BRGR, you're going to choose between that and Five Guys and Tessaro's even if they were all within several blocks of each other? Not likely. A few might, but I never suggested it was absolute.

Whether they execute well enough to all survive is another matter, although I believe they will easily enough.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:29 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
Quote:

Vanilla Pastry Studio Leaving East Liberty for Regent Square

Vanilla Pastry Studio Leaving East Liberty for Regent Square - Forest Hills-Regent Square, PA Patch

More like a nonexistent foot traffic and parking issue. Just a little dose of reality for you guys.

And there's this:

"@deeplocal was robbed last night. Love you east liberty but it's definitely time to move."
I've been friends with the CEO of Deep Local since we were in college and this has nothing to do with why they are moving. They were trying to stay in East Liberty or surrounding areas, but needed A LOT more space because of how much they've grown as a company. They found an incredible deal in the strip with an open space that they could do whatever they wanted with. That's why they moved. The robbery happened after they were almost done renovating the new space and in the process of moving.

As for Vanilla, I have no idea why they are moving, but I've never been the only customer there. There were always people before and after me in line when I've stopped in. They do a ton of catering and likely need more space than a small storefront. It is a bummer they are moving, but I doubt it is a foot traffic problem. Parking can be tough there, but hopefully it'll get better when the new parking garages are built. Foot traffic will only increase with the Highland / Wallace as well as the hotels and other apartments that are planned.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 AM

716 posts, read 766,022 times
Having read this article, one could get the impression that the Cultural District is a desolate hellhole. The writer is very complimentary about the food offerings in East Lib, while the primary focus of the Cultural District is that there are a lot of storefront vacancies that need to be rented out, so they've been filled with temporary stuff... And you can easily escape it by walking over the bridge and going to a museum. Oh ya, and PNC is doing an archaeological dig at their new building site. I'm really not even sure why the Cultural District blurb was added to this article at all. It's bizarre.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:46 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
Quote:
Not rent per se, but the costs involved in not owning your own place.

Shadow Lounge Hits Pause Button

Excerpts:

"The decision was based off of future increases operating expenses, sound proofing costs, and change in the local market, for the primarily live music venue. The search for a standalone building to purchase is underway."

"'Even with all the outside pressure that we have experienced over the summer, this is really about the importance of owning property', explains Strong."

-----

It has nothing to do with foot traffic or parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh