Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2021, 07:20 AM

611 posts, read 365,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
From Chris Briem on Twitter:

Amazing demographic transition after only a decade.

He also notes that close to 2/3rds of the county's black population is now outside the city. Another 20 years of this and Pittsburgh will end up whiter than the county as a whole.

I think that's good to see some diversification in the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 07:26 AM

611 posts, read 365,357 times
Taken from a General city forum post.

Another generation of cities is blowing past Pittsburgh (or will shortly)....

Quote:
20. Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD Metro Area
2,844,510 +4.9%

21. St. Louis, MO-IL Metro Area
2,820,253 +1.2%

22. Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL Metro Area
2,673,376 +25.3%

23. Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC Metro Area
2,660,329 +18.6%

24. San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX Metro Area
2,558,143 +19.4%

25. Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA Metro Area
2,512,859 +12.9%

26. Sacramento-Roseville-Folsom, CA Metro Area
2,397,382 +11.6%

27. Pittsburgh, PA Metro Area
2,370,930 +0.6%

28. Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown, TX Metro Area
2,283,371 +33%

29. Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise, NV Metro Area
2,265,461 +16.1%

30. Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN Metro Area
2,256,884 +5.6%

Old 08-13-2021, 07:26 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yep. I'm the only transplant within an office of born-and-bred Pittsburghers. I am much more optimistic/idealistic about this city than any of them seem to be.

I've always been a realist/optimist on growth here and I've never lived outside Allegheny County. Honestly, I think a lot of the older types (eriedude) just don't want major change (and I can see why, its a great place here). I want slow sustainable growth, but having a huge surge in population can permanently change an area for good - I think a lot of those types fear that happening.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
Taken from a General city forum post.

Another generation of cities is blowing past Pittsburgh (or will shortly)....

I'm just relishing in the fact that we are net positive. That alone is an amazing statistic - and I've waited my 30 years to see it happen.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:39 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yep. I'm the only transplant within an office of born-and-bred Pittsburghers. I am much more optimistic/idealistic about this city than any of them seem to be.
Am I right to bet most of them never really travel anywhere besides their once a week trip to the beach or Lake Erie?

Old 08-13-2021, 07:47 AM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I've always been a realist/optimist on growth here and I've never lived outside Allegheny County. Honestly, I think a lot of the older types (eriedude) just don't want major change (and I can see why, its a great place here). I want slow sustainable growth, but having a huge surge in population can permanently change an area for good - I think a lot of those types fear that happening.

pitt, has been shrinking in some form all my life. I think it will eventually 'right size' itself, significantly smaller than it is now IN city limits, but perhaps growing slightly outside limits and growing greatly in the burbs across the county line.

what we had was a city with housing and things to support all the workers for workplaces that no longer exist. If we move/have moved/will move to a 'technology center' (whatever that is) the number of heads required to support it will always be smaller than the number of heads required to be a 'steel city'

it is what it is.

so, your coworkers are pessimistic? they got reason to be

Old 08-13-2021, 07:51 AM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Am I right to bet most of them never really travel anywhere besides their once a week trip to the beach or Lake Erie?

omg, I mention this all the time. MY experience tells me that most pittsburgh-ers dont travel well. they never really go much further than the 'country' in the laurels... to the point I think its almost a UNIQUE quality about pittsburgh-ers.

Im not saying that they have never left the 152xx zip code, sure mebbe a trip to aunt methyl in cali once, but its not a regularity.

Old 08-13-2021, 08:34 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Okay, it took some time, but I managed to crunch the numbers by census tract. This doesn't give us neighborhood-level granularity everywhere. I believe that all Pittsburgh neighborhoods were based upon census tracts back in 2000, but the Census has been merging low-population tracts for some time, meaning I can't crunch the numbers of the smaller neighborhoods. on the other hand, some of the bigger neighborhoods can be given added granularity here. It looks like the actual boundaries changed a bit (beyond mergers) in Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar and the South Side Slopes, so those numbers may be off.

For every tract, I listed the numeric gain/loss. The map also uses blue and red to signify percentage gains and losses, with darker shades of red meaning deeper losses, and darker shades of blue bigger gains. Colors are in 5% increments.

Going round the city:

Central: Simply massive growth in Downtown and the Strip District. Surprisingly there was some growth in parts of the Hill District, but this was canceled out by losses elsewhere. Oakland's gains were more mediocre than I had expected, which may have to do with the pandemic and less students being in housing. Uptown had a big decline, which is probably due to variance in the population of the County Jail.

Upper East End: Notable nodes of growth in Lower/Central Lawrenceville, East Liberty, Bakery Square area, and parts of Bloomfield (by the new apartment building. Garfield came very close to growing, which really surprised me. The Greater Homewood area continued to hemorrhage population however, other than Homewood South, where the new construction came very close to ending the decline.

Lower East End: Overall modest growth here. The large growth in a portion of North of Forbes surprised me. This is the area around Chatham's campus, and may have to do with student housing. The most student-slummy portion of Squirrel Hill shrunk a bit, but the rest grew. Greenfield as a whole came very close to growing. Hazelwood is still declining significantly.

South Pittsburgh: As expected, little to no growth outside of South Side Flats, but the rate of decline was lower than I expected. Carrick actually gained population - I have to wonder if the Nepalese refugees played a role, as the tract with significant growth is now the most Asian part of Carrick (8.7%).

West End: Shockingly, the Greater West End grew over the last decade - albeit only by 7 people. It's hard to say where this growth was with the data I have, because so many neighborhoods are merged by the Census in the West End.

North Side: Very disappointing numbers overall, even taking out of consideration the massive decline caused by the closure of SCI prison. It looks like the additional inhabited apartment in Allegheny Center did cause significant growth - and unlike what I said last night, Central North Side did grow a bit. But almost everywhere else in the North Side experienced steep declines. I'm not sure what's going on in the tract which includes Northview Heights and Summer Hill. There was a new mini-development in Summer Hill this decade, but I thought it only had maybe two dozen houses. I suppose more people are living in Northview Heights? Most of the North Side seems to have declined at a rate between 5% and 10% for the decade, with Fineview declining more (due to the paring down of Allegheny Dwellings) and Brighton Heights and Marshall Shadeland (excepting the prison) declining by less.
Attached Thumbnails
City Population Breakdown by Neighborhood 2000-2010; Predictions for 2010-2020?-pgh-pop-change.png  

Old 08-13-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
pitt, has been shrinking in some form all my life. I think it will eventually 'right size' itself, significantly smaller than it is now IN city limits, but perhaps growing slightly outside limits and growing greatly in the burbs across the county line.

what we had was a city with housing and things to support all the workers for workplaces that no longer exist. If we move/have moved/will move to a 'technology center' (whatever that is) the number of heads required to support it will always be smaller than the number of heads required to be a 'steel city'

it is what it is.

so, your coworkers are pessimistic? they got reason to be

Your comprehension skills are misleading you. The city only lost 2,000 residents versus the 40,000 it lost 2000-2010 and moreso before that. Butler County and Washington County combined didn't gain half the residents Allegheny County did.

So what you should have said is, "The city has stopped hemorrhaging people, the core county growth has picked up significantly, and the outer burbs across the line are only growing minimally now".

Old 08-13-2021, 08:47 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Okay, it took some time, but I managed to crunch the numbers by census tract. This doesn't give us neighborhood-level granularity everywhere. I believe that all Pittsburgh neighborhoods were based upon census tracts back in 2000, but the Census has been merging low-population tracts for some time, meaning I can't crunch the numbers of the smaller neighborhoods. on the other hand, some of the bigger neighborhoods can be given added granularity here. It looks like the actual boundaries changed a bit (beyond mergers) in Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar and the South Side Slopes, so those numbers may be off.

For every tract, I listed the numeric gain/loss. The map also uses blue and red to signify percentage gains and losses, with darker shades of red meaning deeper losses, and darker shades of blue bigger gains. Colors are in 5% increments.

Going round the city:

Central: Simply massive growth in Downtown and the Strip District. Surprisingly there was some growth in parts of the Hill District, but this was canceled out by losses elsewhere. Oakland's gains were more mediocre than I had expected, which may have to do with the pandemic and less students being in housing. Uptown had a big decline, which is probably due to variance in the population of the County Jail.

Upper East End: Notable nodes of growth in Lower/Central Lawrenceville, East Liberty, Bakery Square area, and parts of Bloomfield (by the new apartment building. Garfield came very close to growing, which really surprised me. The Greater Homewood area continued to hemorrhage population however, other than Homewood South, where the new construction came very close to ending the decline.

Lower East End: Overall modest growth here. The large growth in a portion of North of Forbes surprised me. This is the area around Chatham's campus, and may have to do with student housing. The most student-slummy portion of Squirrel Hill shrunk a bit, but the rest grew. Greenfield as a whole came very close to growing. Hazelwood is still declining significantly.

South Pittsburgh: As expected, little to no growth outside of South Side Flats, but the rate of decline was lower than I expected. Carrick actually gained population - I have to wonder if the Nepalese refugees played a role, as the tract with significant growth is now the most Asian part of Carrick (8.7%).

West End: Shockingly, the Greater West End grew over the last decade - albeit only by 7 people. It's hard to say where this growth was with the data I have, because so many neighborhoods are merged by the Census in the West End.

North Side: Very disappointing numbers overall, even taking out of consideration the massive decline caused by the closure of SCI prison. It looks like the additional inhabited apartment in Allegheny Center did cause significant growth - and unlike what I said last night, Central North Side did grow a bit. But almost everywhere else in the North Side experienced steep declines. I'm not sure what's going on in the tract which includes Northview Heights and Summer Hill. There was a new mini-development in Summer Hill this decade, but I thought it only had maybe two dozen houses. I suppose more people are living in Northview Heights? Most of the North Side seems to have declined at a rate between 5% and 10% for the decade, with Fineview declining more (due to the paring down of Allegheny Dwellings) and Brighton Heights and Marshall Shadeland (excepting the prison) declining by less.
Fantastic! Thanks so much!

Wow. +1,130 people in a tiny East End census tract that looks like it aligns with the additions of EastSide Bond and Bakery Living, perhaps?

There aren't many surprises here for me. I am puzzled also by the large growth in Northview Heights. Polish Hill, Regent Square, and Morningside seem to be following in the footsteps of Allegheny West in that they are getting less populated as they become more affluent and multi-unit properties are being reverted back to single-family dwellings. Upper Lawrenceville should grow from 2020-2030, I would think, with the Mews on Butler and I'm sure at least one or two other larger projects that will be built there by 2030 given current trends.

The Strip and Downtown adding a combined 4,000+ residents over the last decade is fantastic! I hope they can top that with 5,000+ residents combined from 2020-2030! I am surprised the Mexican War Streets grew. I would have expected them to decline in the same fashion as Morningside, Allegheny West, and Polish Hill since they are continuing to become more affluent. There must be a lot of infill there I haven't been paying attention to. It will likely grow again from 2020-2030 as the Garden Theater project finally gets underway. Troy Hill losing 203 people is surprising for sure. Not sure what happened there unless it is going the way of Polish Hill, Morningside, Allegheny West, etc. with shrinkage due to the neighborhood gentrifying more and pushing more families with children out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh