Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times

Advertisements

Probably just as well if they do. The city has at least been doing pretty well economically over the past several years.

Both of his opponents, Mr. Peduto and Mr. Lamb, are retreads from previous elections. Peduto seems rather unmotivated, he doesn't have a job- he lives off of his city council pay. I would think with his previous political experience he would be able to land a job with one of the various unions around town, but he hasn't done that.

Mr. Lamb is a bean counter by trade, he could be viable as mayor as the city still has lingering fiscal problems in connection with the pension debt situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
he doesn't have a job- he lives off of his city council pay.
I don't understand what you mean. Being a council member is a job. Pittsburgh's council members generally work far more than "full-time" in that position. Peduto "lives off his council pay" in the same sense that a lawyer "lives off his law firm pay," or a trash collector "lives off his trash collecting pay."

Old 02-10-2013, 07:26 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I don't understand what you mean. Being a council member is a job. Pittsburgh's council members generally work far more than "full-time" in that position. Peduto "lives off his council pay" in the same sense that a lawyer "lives off his law firm pay," or a trash collector "lives off his trash collecting pay."
Most city council people over the years had full time employment during their tenure, I don't think that this is "more than a full time" job at all.

Mr. Lavelle is a real estate professional, Rev. Burgess is a minister- I don't know about the other folks on council right now if they are gainfully employed.

Over the years, Eugene P. DePasquale was a full time stadium usher and union president, Amy Ballinger and James Lally had union jobs, there have been lawyers as well like Peter Flaherty.

I'm not looking over these guys shoulders, maybe you know more than I do about their activities, but it doesn't really look like a real job to me.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 PM

281 posts, read 340,805 times
Quote:
Over the years, Eugene P. DePasquale was a full time stadium usher and union president, Amy Ballinger and James Lally had union jobs, there have been lawyers as well like Peter Flaherty.

Like the "Troglodyte" song, you're going waaay back. The majority of current Pittsburgh residents weren't even born yet or hadn't moved to the city when Ballinger and Lally were on city council. Whatever they were up to, being on council has been a full-time-plus job for decades now.

At any rate, I think Peduto is the best candidate for the job. And if we're talking about whether mayor is a fulltime job, Steelerstahl doesn't seem to have figured that out yet.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Peduto seems rather unmotivated, he doesn't have a job- he lives off of his city council pay. I would think with his previous political experience he would be able to land a job with one of the various unions around town, but he hasn't done that.
Why would you want a politician to have a conflict of interest working for a union?

This 2007 article says city council members are paid $55,029/year. It's probably higher now. That's not bad money for a part time job. Unmotivated? It's possible he is more dedicated with his focus being solely on his job as council member.

I'd rather have a full time city council member than someone who is doing it as a side job. I know my council member in my township isn't just sitting back collecting a salary (which I suspect is way lower than what the city pays). He has a full time professional job. His nights are filled with returning phone calls and emails for his township job. He wouldn't get reelected if he was just collecting the council pay and attending meetings once a month. There's a lot more to it than that.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone, especially someone working a full time professional job. It takes a special person to do that. If someone can live off a council salary and choses to do that job full time, more power to them. I guarantee they have better quality of life than the other council members and their constituents probably get quicker responses.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why would you want a politician to have a conflict of interest working for a union?
Excellent point.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Most city council people over the years had full time employment during their tenure, I don't think that this is "more than a full time" job at all.

Mr. Lavelle is a real estate professional, Rev. Burgess is a minister- I don't know about the other folks on council right now if they are gainfully employed.

I'm not looking over these guys shoulders, maybe you know more than I do about their activities, but it doesn't really look like a real job to me.
I'm sure my council member has less constituents to deal with than a city council member. I call him whenever I have a problem. I've called him about the roads. I've called him when I've had a problem with township employees. I've called him when they cleaned the sewers and old leaves gushed out of the sewer into the engine of my car. I've called him when I wanted to start a neighborhood watch or some other grass roots effort to improve the community. Just last night, I was thinking about calling him because my son needs a letter of recommendation from a "community leader."

He always returns my calls and emails. I'm sure he returns everyone else's calls and emails too. If he didn't, he wouldn't be continually re-elected. He is constantly volunteering at community events, truly working for the community, not just there rubbing elbows. He has a full time professional career so all of this is done in the evenings and weekends---and he has a family!

Since I don't even live in Pittsburgh, I have no horse in this race. I just think your comment sounds very uninformed about what being a council member entails. If someone wanted to live off this part-time salary and dedicate themselves full time to a council position, I'd view them as committed, not unmotivated.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:29 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Speaking from the perspective of an individual who would love to work full-time as a city councilman I can reaffirm Hopes's assertions. A quality elected representative makes serving her or his constituency her or his primary objective. Until recently I was working over 70 hours per week at two jobs due to the rising cost-of-living here, and I can tell you that while I tried to exhibit nothing but the utmost dedication to each position at-hand it was quite challenging to not "slack" here or there when I needed a break. I wouldn't want to elect someone to city council (or the mayoral position for that matter) who planned to work elsewhere while in office. In a place like Hampton Township, where Hopes lives, I may be more inclined to expect my representative to work an additional job because I highly doubt council members in smaller communities are paid a living wage. If I can currently live off of $30,000 delivering food then I certainly could live off of $60,000 attending council meetings, organizing neighborhood events, responding to calls and e-mails, volunteering, studying the budget, distributing surveys, etc.

In this election you need to have a keen eye to discern who is running to build a legacy and gain influence and who is running due to possessing a genuine zeal for the city and a genuine interest in helping her to thrive. In regards to my own city councilman, Patrick Dowd, who serves much of the Upper East End, I have yet to make such a determination because while it does seem as if he has the city's best interests at heart he also never misses an opportunity to grandstand to make himself look superior to the mayor. Do you want to know what happens when you elect someone to office who only seeks to use that position as a "stepping stone" to higher office? Look at Hazleton, PA's former Mayor Lou Barletta who led a national controversy about illegal immigration and spent more time in the national media polishing his image for higher office than caring about the plight of the city he was being PAID to oversee.

Perhaps it's still my youthful naivete showing through; however, I would consider the job of city councilperson to be "fun". You'd get to meet so many people and work fastidiously to assuage their concerns. You'd have a direct role in apportioning funds as you see fit within your district on an annual basis. If there's something monumental brewing within your mind you could propose legislation to solidify it. I realize with my admitted disdain for people who think parking chairs are permissible that my chances of future election would be slim, but it's always nice to be a dreamer.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,690 times
The city and region have been doing well, but it really has nothing to do with Ravenstahl. He's basically been coasting on the success of everything else going on around him. It's time for Peduto. The man actually cares about this city and has some sort of vision.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
The city and region have been doing well, but it really has nothing to do with Ravenstahl. He's basically been coasting on the success of everything else going on around him. It's time for Peduto. The man actually cares about this city and has some sort of vision.

Unfortunately people seem to pull the lever for the incumbent no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh