Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 01:09 PM

89 posts, read 170,259 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone-
My daughter will be 3 this summer and we are looking to get her into some activities. We'd like anything involving movement (always good to tire her out!) like sports (soccer, etc.), but are open to anything, really. We are not looking for competitive teams or anything. Just somewhere where she can get some exercise and maybe learn a few new skills while having fun.

We live in Aspinwall, but could easily get to anywhere inside the city too. Does anyone have any suggestions based on what their kids have liked in the past?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 01:28 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
I remember a soccer class for three year olds in Fox Chapel. It was in the gym of a closed elementary school or something. My memory is a little hazy. I always feel nervous in Fox Chapel because I assume everybody moves there to avoid living near me. Anyway, I could not find it googling, but I think it was run on the side by a woman who does the regular soccer for the older kids. So maybe try calling the regular Fox Chapel soccer and asking them even though I'm sure that exact program has nothing for kids so young.

lFCAYS Official Web Site

Pittsburgh Dynamo doesn't start until 4. http://www.pittsburghdynamo.org/home.php

Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
A dog, a ball and someplace for the 2 of them to run around?

Running and throwing are about the best you'll get with most 3-year-olds. At least that's how I remember it when mine were little.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
A dog, a ball and someplace for the 2 of them to run around?

Running and throwing are about the best you'll get with most 3-year-olds. At least that's how I remember it when mine were little.
It varies, but yeah, most don't have the motor skill development to learn any specific skills, even geared towards the youngest possible age. Organized, structured activities (outside of required daycare or pre-school) for barely-older-than-toddlers seems so over the top to me, but to each his own.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:53 PM

89 posts, read 170,259 times
I understand that there aren't going to be actual games between a bunch of 3 year olds. She likes going to "classes" with an instructor and I think it's good to expose them to that setting and sports and all that. Even if they are just running across a field and kicking a ball to an instructor, that's fun for her. It's not quite the same as throwing a ball to me in the backyard.

We did gymkhana this winter (she is 2 and a half) and it worked out fairly well. She liked having the teachers tell her what to do and getting to climb and jump on equipment. The only reason that we aren't going to do it again is that there were too many kids in the class (25!) and it was too much standing around and waiting and not enough activity. Still, she loves it!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Many little kids like swimming/water activities. Those seem to be available most everywhere.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,421 times
I have no idea if they are any good, but the YMCA has programs for three to five year olds, such as KinderSports and aquatics programs. It is more sedentary, but libraries have story time for that age set, as well.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 PM

377 posts, read 652,244 times
I have a 3 year old little girl as well--she will be 4 in April. We did soccer this past fall...well sort of. Mostly just random running about but it only cost $50 for the season. At her age there was no competition they just played on Saturday morning. She has made it clear that she didn't really like it but every kid is different. It was fun to watch as an adult to be honest and a good way to meet local families. I am sure there is a local team in your neighborhood.

We also do gymnastics at Jewart's and she loves it.

We are about to start swim lessons as she has been begging to learn how to swim under water. A lot of the local school district have swim lessons. We are going to North Hills. I know Northgate has them as well. The local YMCA's too.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Slightly off topic, but since you said you lived in Aspinwall, I thought I'd share.

This is sooooooooooo cool!

Fox Chapel Area Newcomers Club

Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I remember a soccer class for three year olds in Fox Chapel. It was in the gym of a closed elementary school or something. My memory is a little hazy. I always feel nervous in Fox Chapel because I assume everybody moves there to avoid living near me. Anyway, I could not find it googling, but I think it was run on the side by a woman who does the regular soccer for the older kids. So maybe try calling the regular Fox Chapel soccer and asking them even though I'm sure that exact program has nothing for kids so young.

lFCAYS Official Web Site

Pittsburgh Dynamo doesn't start until 4. http://www.pittsburghdynamo.org/home.php

You are talking about Coach Katie's soccer class. It is run out of Boyd Community Center. I think you have to be 3.5. In bad weather it is in the gym. When it is nice it is outside. Both of my kids took the class.

I would try Happy Feet which is run out of PISA in Harmar.

There is the gymnastics place in Point Breeze which may be more age appropriate. I forget what it is called. Also, there is a snowball tots ice skating class at the Bladerunners in Harmarville. The Y does have some classes geared toward younger kids too.

3 is an tough age. Realistically, you aren't old enough to do a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh