Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,909 times

Advertisements

Interesting data here (based from 2010): More workers in the Pittsburgh region crossing county lines for jobs | TribLIVE

9% of Allegheny County workers commute to other counties in the region for work, the lowest percentage in the region. That is a pretty low percent, but makes sense due to Pittsburgh and Oakland being in the county. So most workers in Allegheny county are living within the same county. I wonder if Westinghouse would have stayed in Monroeville what that percentage would be?

The highest percentages are Armstrong and Beaver counties.

As a whole, 23.9% (up from 22.7% in 2000) of our region's workers commute to other counties, which is below the national average of 27.4%.

61% of the workers drive alone in their car and 23% use public transit. Those aren't too good, wish it would be higher on the public transit end. I'm sure these numbers are being analyzed by Rick Fitzgerald and his fellow advocates in Harrisburg for a regional transit system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
61% of the workers drive alone in their car and 23% use public transit. Those aren't too good, wish it would be higher on the public transit end. I'm sure these numbers are being analyzed by Rick Fitzgerald and his fellow advocates in Harrisburg for a regional transit system.
I'm not sure the regional public transit could improve those numbers. The outlying counties already have bus service into downtown Pittsburgh. I'll bet a large percentage of those drivers don't work where public transit goes. Not everyone works downtown. Many people work in the business parks in Allegheny County suburbs and other places other than the city.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:32 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm not sure the regional public transit could improve those numbers. The outlying counties already have bus service into downtown Pittsburgh. I'll bet a large percentage of those drivers don't work where public transit goes. Not everyone works downtown. Many people work in the business parks in Allegheny County suburbs and other places other than the city.
When I lived in Seattle this was the issue for me. They had great bus service from the suburbs (first time I saw bike racks on busses) but their destinations were limited and I worked off the beaten path. But the busses were used heavily by the downtown business population.

Hubby goes from Beaver now To Butler and previous to our recent move was Allegheny to Butler as was I. Now I just go out to the yard for work!

Old 03-06-2013, 10:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Yeah, that part is tricky. In my case, I live where public transit doesn't go. Or, at least, it would be stupid of me to drive several miles the wrong way to get my own county's transit. I could take a bus from the Warrendale park and ride but since there are two of us going downtown and my parking is covered it is similar in cost.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
AFAIK about 100,000 people work in Downtown Pittsburgh (the same amount as 1950!), and another 30,000 or so work in Oakland. Let's say there are another 20,000 jobs with good transit access, (UMPC hospitals in the city, Allegheny General, North Shore offices, etc), and you have a maximum of 150,000 jobs which could be defined as highly accessible by mass transit.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
AFAIK about 100,000 people work in Downtown Pittsburgh (the same amount as 1950!), and another 30,000 or so work in Oakland. Let's say there are another 20,000 jobs with good transit access, (UMPC hospitals in the city, Allegheny General, North Shore offices, etc), and you have a maximum of 150,000 jobs which could be defined as highly accessible by mass transit.
Exactly. 150k is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall metro population of 2.3 million.

As Greg mentioned, the high fares doesn't justify using public transportation if two household members can drive together.

I'd like to see that extra money put into reducing fares. Reduced fares would increase ridership. Once ridership is increased, the system could be viable on reduced fares.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:51 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
To be fair, the bus I'm speaking of is the cushy private Lenzner run from Warrendale. It costs $5 each way or $200/month pass. Still good for one person riding but not if you have two. For all those single drivers, which is the majority, this is still a good option if the timing works out well. These buses if anything are fuller than they used to be it seems. And the parking lot now fills up regularly. If I was coming down here alone I'd probably try to shift to this bus and have employer cover that pass instead (it's cheaper than the parking space). Although probably what we're ultimately doing is moving out of downtown. Looking to cut cost and we have fewer people in office now and none of us live downtown. No specific need to be here. We'll probably be out in N. Hills somewhere eventually.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 PM

I took the bus into town until my son started going into town too. It didn't make financial sense for us to both take the bus.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:17 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
that's correct, regional public transit in and of itself wouldn't solve that. if a commuter rail line frmo greensburg were 20% faster than the bus, it could capture a proportion of west moreland to east liberty and downtown than the bus currently captures but simply having the westmoreland and allegheny county buses under one agency does little. in fact, most of SEPTA's routes exist either within the city or within the suburbs and the major exceptions operate much like the county buses in SWEPTA land. land use is a much bigger factor...where the jobs are. the one big exception in the Philadelphia area is the reverse commuters on the train to Paoli where shuttle buses connect people to employment ni the great valley corp ctr (a spread out cluster of 25k jobs).PAT has already increased it's share of downtown workers over the last five years. if the county put as much money improving transit as they did subsidizing garages (which disincentivizes transit use) you'd be talk.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Several of my friends work in outer-county office parks like Southpointe and Cranberry... but love city living... so they do a reverse commute from Pittsburgh. I imagine this will become more common as more young professionals are interested in living in the urban core... even if their job is way out in BFE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh