Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:38 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Blecch, the epitome of boring suburban living.

Try Shaler or Ross.
Are they very different?

Monroeville has good restaurant options at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagen View Post
I have to say, I really like the architecture of those areas and it's convenient to town and northern pgh, where my husband works. I'll have to take a closer look with an agent and get a feel for the area.
I looked at Highland Park, Regent Square, Edgewood, Aspinwall, Bellevue, Ben Avon, Avalon, Carnegie, Crafton, Brighton Heights and more. Visit as many places as you can that have the kind of architecture you want in your price range that are within your acceptable commute distances. The other factor is what is on the market when you're ready to buy. There were areas I would have preferred to Crafton but there was nothing on the market that I liked when I was ready to buy. It's not that I disliked Crafton, it's just there were other areas I liked a little better for a variety of reasons. Crafton was in my top five so it's not like I settled for less. The house I found had the right combination of features and location and it felt right. I have no regrets so far. In fact I'm quite happy here. It really makes a difference when you feel that you are choosing between areas that you know fairly well. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagen View Post
Thank you for the replies. To expand on what we're looking for, I'll go into greater detail. As far as the house, we actually prefer older. No older than 1920's. I love Craftsman although we'd consider any kind of architecture but prefer 2 story homes and are looking for a minimum of 3 bd, 1 ba. I'd be willing to live as far away as Cranberry or as close as Brookline for example, as long as it's an easy commute to town. Preferably no more than 30-45 min. outside of downtown pgh. I don't like living in "The boonies", I like the diversity of urban living however I like my space..I don't want to live right on top of my neighbor. Gosh..maybe I'm looking for something that just doesn't exist in this town? lol! I feel like I'm being pretty open to all possibilities though. I understand that the term "middle class" is subjective or sadly even obsolete nowadays. Honestly, to describe my ideal town - Blue collar, modest but well cared for homes, safe/low crime rate, decent school district, convenient to shopping..I don't mind driving.

robrobrob, you may be right. Part of me thinks that maybe I'm just delusional as far as what we can afford vs. what we should be able to find. It would certainly easily explain why I simply can't find anything we like in our price range. I just can't wrap my head around the possibility that you can't find anything less than $200,000 without compromising your children's education and safety in this town.
I would look at Emsworth. Part of the Avonworth School District which is pretty good and much better than Northgate. Ben Avon which is upper middle class is part of Avonworth.

Cheswick and Springdale are also safe blue collar towns with decent schools.

I think the trick is to find a blue collar town that is in the same school district as some more affluent areas as opposed to a blue collar town that is in the same school district as some lower income areas.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM

367 posts, read 622,054 times
Dormont...

Old 03-12-2013, 11:55 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeno View Post
Dormont...
Taxes are way too high.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:29 PM

17 posts, read 26,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I think the trick is to find a blue collar town that is in the same school district as some more affluent areas as opposed to a blue collar town that is in the same school district as some lower income areas.
I think your on to something there. My challenge is to identify those towns and research them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh