Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:40 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter119 View Post
Hope and Copanut, I appreciate your input on this thread, but please keep the bickering to a minimum.
Trust me, we aren't the Bickersons. Anyone remember that show?

You have good advice from Hopes and Retired Coach. I live in the North Allegheny SD, it's a good one, to be sure. Likewise, Pine-Richland and Hampton are also good. It just kills me when I drive by the Pine-Richland football stadium, and I don't even pay taxes there. Too much emphasis on football IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,553 times
Quote:
So... It sound like the great schools rating that Pine-Richland is currently pulling is a bunch of crap. That very appropriately makes an easy decision to drop PR down on my list of targeted cities. That leaves NA and Hampton on the top of the list. Can someone speak to the class sizes at NA once the little people reach High School.

Thanks,
Tough question to answer because of so many variables. Most school-related sites will give you ratios of the number of students divided by the number of teachers in the school. I do know that NA Senior high's ratio appears lower than most, but I am not sure if that statistic really has much meaning. You will not find classes at the extremes at NASH with either just 10 students/teacher, nor 40 students/teacher, for example, but a significant array of course options (especially advanced placement/honors courses). I am not sure if either of these two sites might better answer your inquiry....

North Allegheny Senior High School / NASH Homepage

North Allegheny Senior High School Profile | Wexford, Pennsylvania (PA)

Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Trust me, we aren't the Bickersons. Anyone remember that show?
I've never seen it, but it sounds dreadful in wiki. We're definitely not the Bickersons, that's for sure!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 AM

30 posts, read 45,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
A little bossy, aren't you, for someone asking for help?
Jay I am not being bossy, only trying to filter crap from fact. I have many times thanked everyone for there input, it is vital to the success of my move. If I have offended anyone, sorry. I will continue to ask questions and look for perspectives from persons located in areas that I am focusing on. I will will not apologize for trying to stay focused and serious on such an important decision. It is your option to post, reply and give opinions based on the questions being asked.

As always thanks for all the informative replies, I appreciate them all.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:36 AM

Otter,

Otis, he loves us!!!

Sorry, flashback.

You can't go wrong in the North Hills. Hampton, North Allegheny, or Pine-Richland, all good school districts.

Good Luck.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I will continue to ask questions and look for perspectives from persons located in areas that I am focusing on...

...I will not apologize for trying to stay focused and serious on such an important decision. It is your option to post, reply and give opinions based on the questions being asked.
Here's a clue. Your information sources are limited. Copanut and I are both located in the areas you are focusing on. Copanut and Retired Coach are in NA, and I'm in Hampton. Not many other highly active members are in these areas. This is what you get for free advice on the internet. If we didn't have fun while we're doing it, we wouldn't have even been here for you to ask. Your question would have gone out into the great abyss of unanswered internet threads because few spend their spare time helping others find a place to live. We're good people. We're going to have fun while we're doing this, or we're not going to do it at all. We respect it's an important decision but lighten up.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Otter,

Otis, he loves us!!!

Sorry, flashback.
LMAO! You're in rare form today!

Quote:
You can't go wrong in the North Hills. Hampton, North Allegheny, or Pine-Richland, all good school districts.
Even if Pine-Richland's test scores are sliding, I doubt they're sliding far.

I'd be more concerned about the risk of the arts, activities and enrichment courses being cut in the future.

Quote:
Good Luck.
I sense you're signing off this thread for good, Copanut!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Jay, I am not being bossy... I will will not apologize for trying to stay focused and serious on such an important decision.
Well, I guess you told me. I think you should move to the borough.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:37 PM

30 posts, read 45,836 times
Once again, your opinions and insight are very important to someone from outside the state that is looking to move there. I don't know any of you and its sounds like you are all good people. If I have crossed the line in earlier posts, due to not knowing how you act and react to one another, I again apologize.

I visited last week thinking our top three were PR, NA and Hampton (pretty much in that order). I am grateful for the knowledge regarding PR and its self-induced financial problems. It makes us wonder how much will need to be cut to bring the district back into the black. I assume the smaller non-sports related programs will take the brunt of those cuts, as well as pending tax hikes to speed recovery. In regards to NA, we were concerned for the size of the school and the size of the district. In my research the school performs wonderfully in academics, sports and other areas. They offer many programs and alternate classes that some schools may not. I did read a couple reviews with social problems in the school, but can't take two or three bad reviews as the base line. The link to those reviews is below.

North Allegheny Senior High School - Wexford, Pennsylvania - PA - School overview

Hampton seems to be a great location and very similar to PR and NA, just on a smaller scale.

Hampton High School - Allison Park, Pennsylvania - PA - School overview

My biggest fear in this whole thing is picking the wrong spot and regretting it as we take a huge step as a family in a new location. Continue to offer your help and perspectives as you wish, they are invaluable and much appreciated.

Have a nice day, I hope to continue our talks through this stressful decision.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Once again, your opinions and insight are very important to someone from outside the state that is looking to move there. I don't know any of you and its sounds like you are all good people. If I have crossed the line in earlier posts, due to not knowing how you act and react to one another, I again apologize.

I visited last week thinking our top three were PR, NA and Hampton (pretty much in that order). I am grateful for the knowledge regarding PR and its self-induced financial problems. It makes us wonder how much will need to be cut to bring the district back into the black. I assume the smaller non-sports related programs will take the brunt of those cuts, as well as pending tax hikes to speed recovery. In regards to NA, we were concerned for the size of the school and the size of the district. In my research the school performs wonderfully in academics, sports and other areas. They offer many programs and alternate classes that some schools may not. I did read a couple reviews with social problems in the school, but can't take two or three bad reviews as the base line. The link to those reviews is below.

North Allegheny Senior High School - Wexford, Pennsylvania - PA - School overview

Hampton seems to be a great location and very similar to PR and NA, just on a smaller scale.

Hampton High School - Allison Park, Pennsylvania - PA - School overview

My biggest fear in this whole thing is picking the wrong spot and regretting it as we take a huge step as a family in a new location. Continue to offer your help and perspectives as you wish, they are invaluable and much appreciated.

Have a nice day, I hope to continue our talks through this stressful decision.

Thanks!

Go with Hampton. NA and PR have large senior classes. I did that a million years ago, would much rather go to a school with smaller class sizes. Plus, Hopes dresses as the Easter Bunny every year at the Elementary school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh