Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:28 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryll2013 View Post
Thanks! Will definitely look into it! Do you happen to know any good rental company in the area?

Can't help you out there as far as rental company, but I can tell you I lived in the 250 Laurel Ave. apartments just a couple of blocks from Ohio River Blvd. and the place was cool for parking, and pretty modern, didn't need much in the way of repairs over the 5 years I was there.

Right now its owned by JJ Land, I can't say anything about that, as they weren't there when I was a tenant.

Wilkinsburg and Edgewood certainly have decent streets and sketchy areas, but the one thing for certain is I wouldn't want to drive to town every day from there. Whether its through the Squirrel tunnels or over city streets, its a longer drive than its distance on the map would indicate although its not bad for public transport on the East Busway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 06:36 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
How is the Edgewood/Wilkensburg area? It looked pretty close to Shadyside but is significantly cheaper, is there something wrong with it?
You may find it full of sketch.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:17 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Quote:
How is the Edgewood/Wilkensburg area? It looked pretty close to Shadyside but is significantly cheaper, is there something wrong with it?
IMO Edgewood isn't really a block-by-block neighborhood... Overall its a very nice/safe area, with no areas to avoid.

Most of Wilkinsburg is not block-by-block... Some areas are down right dangerous, some are rough and declining, some are safe/nice yet a tad bit sketchy (block by block areas), and some areas are almost equivalent to mayberry East End/suburban neighborhoods. Check out the map below to find out which areas are good & bad comming from a former resident.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...c447bb25&msa=0

Btw: neither neighborhoods are near Downtown...

Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
How has nobody mentioned the lower northside yet?! The Mexican War Streets, Lower Manchester, Allegheny West, and Deutschtown would all let OP walk to work, or take the T for free. Driving downtown would be an unusual choice for that area, but it would be about 5 minutes from your street to the parking garage in most cases. There's other young people, stuff to do, and a grocery store.

The only thing it misses on is the "classic suburb look." But OP seems willing to compromise on that in order to save money and have a better commute. The lower northside is full of late 19th century Victorian architecture. As for affordability, I rented a very nice 1-bedroom apartment less than a year ago for just $575.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 AM

6 posts, read 6,532 times
Thanks everyone for the heads up on the east side driving situation! (and evidently some safety concerns too... will definitely avoid that area)

What about the south side? Is it an easier drive or is it further from downtown than the map looks also?
I set up appointments with Hyland Hill Apartment in Green Tree/Banksville and Allegheny Center near Allegheny-west, how are these areas?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the heads up on the east side driving situation! (and evidently some safety concerns too... will definitely avoid that area)

What about the south side? Is it an easier drive or is it further from downtown than the map looks also?
I set up appointments with Hyland Hill Apartment in Green Tree/Banksville and Allegheny Center near Allegheny-west, how are these areas?
Parts of Allegheny Center are okay, but Allegheny Commons East is pretty sketchy. Still, it's on the far side from Allegheny West, so I'm pretty sure you're not renting there.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 6,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Parts of Allegheny Center are okay, but Allegheny Commons East is pretty sketchy. Still, it's on the far side from Allegheny West, so I'm pretty sure you're not renting there.
it looked <2 miles from downtown, is the traffic that bad?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
it looked <2 miles from downtown, is the traffic that bad?
I meant sketchy as in it's a section 8 heavy housing complex, with a fair amount of drug issues (but no gang violence).

As I said though, the people who rent there mainly hang out on East Ohio Street in East Allegheny, not Allegheny West, so as long as you don't have your sides confused it should be fine.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:59 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Quote:
I meant sketchy as in it's a section 8 heavy housing complex, with a fair amount of drug issues (but no gang violence).

As I said though, the people who rent there mainly hang out on East Ohio Street in East Allegheny, not Allegheny West, so as long as you don't have your sides confused it should be fine.
No worries I understood what you meant and you have the right idea. Though now that area is more than a liltle sketchy... As Lower Northside neighborhoods began to gentrify and people from Northview Heights/Allegheny Dwellings seek alternate/safer housing, that area in turn gets worse. TBH it's a declining, crip gang affiliated complex and there's probably only a short matter of time until violence hits!

Luckily herion fiends and gang members don't congregate to do dirt any further outside the comolex than East Ohio Street like you inferred...

Last edited by Uptown kid; 04-23-2013 at 03:13 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 05:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:

Allegheny Center apartments aren't inexpensive, they start at $900 plus parking for a 1 bedroom and you won't be driving in from there I don't think. It sure wouldn't make sense as you'd be spending more time getting your car out of the garage and putting it into a downtown garage than it would take just to take a bus (or even walk) over the 6th St. Bridge. I lived over in Allegheny Center for a while back in the 90's and liked it. Nice rooftop patio in the building near where Sears used to be and you park inside. And with the North Side less bummy than it was 20 years ago, its a good location.

Hyland Hills is a gated apartment community which you might want to take a look at- the drive in from there isn't difficult even with the tunnel, its sufficiently close to the tunnel that you'd be entering Banksville from Crane and most of the jamups will be behind you.

The South Side is expensive and difficult to park at, unless you have a South Side Works apartment or other place with parking- and those apartment are even more expensive. The traffic over there can be a real pain as well. That area is built more for pedestrians than motorists, laid out in the days before the automobile and with its new found wealth and teeming masses with BMW's and Audis, it hasn't stayed current in its parking needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh