Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I'm going to go tomorrow. I wanted to explore the area this weekend anyway. Looks like a fun place. Thanks!
You're going to love Soergel's!

Let's think of some other things for you to do while in the area.

Do you like to go antiquing? There's the General Store in Wexford.

The General Store

Stop and pick up a sandwich at the Post Office Deli across the street.

Post Office Catering Group

Then head over to check out North Park via Route 910.

North Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 09:46 AM

OR

Head up to Harmony PA. It's a tiny quirky town full of artists.

After Harmony, go to Moraine State Park and McConnells Mills.

Then head to the Grove City outlets if you're into outlets.

This is a much longer trip so it might be best for another day.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:56 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're going to love Soergel's!

Let's think of some other things for you to do while in the area.

Do you like to go antiquing? There's the General Store in Wexford.

The General Store

Stop and pick up a sandwich at the Post Office Deli across the street.

Post Office Catering Group

Then head over to check out North Park via Route 910.

North Park
Quote:
OR

Head up to Harmony PA. It's a tiny quirky town full of artists.

After Harmony, go to Moraine State Park and McConnells Mills.

Then head to the Grove City outlets if you're into outlets.

This is a much longer trip so it might be best for another day.
I was thinking it sounded like a bit much for a day trip, especially one that is supposed to be relaxing! I'll definitely check out some of the places you mentioned. I may have to do a weekend trip to the area another time. And to think I may not be going if it weren't for that Stink Bug on my nightstand last night.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I was thinking it sounded like a bit much for a day trip, especially one that is supposed to be relaxing! I'll definitely check out some of the places you mentioned. I may have to do a weekend trip to the area another time. And to think I may not be going if it weren't for that Stink Bug on my nightstand last night.
The Orchard, General Store, Post Office, North Park trip isn't very long. The Orchard and North Park are only 5 miles away and the General Store and Post Office are right in the middle of the two.

The Harmony trip including Moraine and Mills along with the outlets is an all day'er. I started a thread about Harmony listing some things about the town's events and such. There's a yarn store there!

Someday we'll have to send you out east to the Laurel Mountains and Ligonier with its cute shops. There are lots of great things to do in that region.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:46 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
For a long time I didn't know the smell either. Then I accidentally crushed one in the garage. It's not the stinkiest smell in the world to me, but it is relentless. It smells for a long, long, long time. i would say it's more towards a musty smell than a sewer type smell, if that makes sense. I'm not up on good ways to describe smells.

dont squish the stink bugs if anything gently pick them up. if you squish them or they sense fear, they emit their odor which attracts other stink bugs.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
dont squish the stink bugs if anything gently pick them up. if you squish them or they sense fear, they emit their odor which attracts other stink bugs.
That's why I use the cups. Been doing that for a few years, never had it smell in the house so it doesn't seem to trigger the supposed fear issue. Using tissues or whatever is always a risk of crushing them.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:45 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
There's a video on YouTube for making a stink bug trap out of a 2L pop bottle, a LED light, and some tape. It's supposed to work well.

eta: I haven't made mine yet. But the LED lights from the $1 store look like they'd do the job. $1 each for the round puck type and you still have to buy batteries. And I'd be tempted to try to spray paint the bottom black while the label is still on the bottle. Don't know if the bottle is solvent-resistant enough for that, though Maybe that's why he uses tape.

BEST Stink Bug Trap EVER - YouTube
My son made one and it works fine.

I also love Soergals and the General Store...I have picked up quite a bit from each place. And if you want to pick up some great organic finds..another good trip is to Frankferd Farms. Best kept secret of Saxonburg. Frankferd Farms Foods | Your Organic and Natural Foods Supplier

Old 05-04-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Where did you get them? I want to order some.
I ordered them online Flora Hydroponics thru Amazon.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
And if you want to pick up some great organic finds..another good trip is to Frankferd Farms. Best kept secret of Saxonburg. Frankferd Farms Foods | Your Organic and Natural Foods Supplier
I've heard about Frankferd Farms for bulk food. My girlfriend and I have talked about going there.

Also check out Mish Farms in Gibsonia for natural meats. Mish Farms Meat Market Inc

Old 05-04-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I've heard about Frankferd Farms for bulk food. My girlfriend and I have talked about going there.

Also check out Mish Farms in Gibsonia for natural meats. Mish Farms Meat Market Inc
Mish is good. We lived very close and would get our holiday meats there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh